NFL Week #1 - Bills at the Rams - Post Game thread- The NFL season Begins!!!!!!

BuffaloBill

7 hours ago, nkreed said:

They are really trying, but that production looked like a small step above public access TV. That's growing pains I know, but wow it's distracting!

Other than that, good for her if she cashed in. I just don't see too much draw for FanDuelTV. Maybe they will release numbers that prove me wrong.

I have that channel as part of my sports package through Hulu. Everyday it's 1 hour of Kay Adams, and 23 hours of horse racing. No exaggeration. The bottom ticker proudly displays all of that day's moneylines at all times. I'm guessing it will get regular play at OTBs and the like, not so much in people's homes.

I think this is probably the right place for this take from a Rams supporter.

Point is that Stafford did appear to have options to throw to an open Allen Robinson, but wasn't taking them.

Of course, he isn't trying to figure out what's the first, second, third read, but it does appear that Robinson was open for some Rams 1st downs and Stafford didn't pull the trigger.

You have to wonder if lack of practice time with Robinson in pre-season is hindering them - if Stafford is just hesitant to make tight window throws to a guy he has limited experience with

Anyway, a bit of a watch-out that our CB zone coverage was perhaps not as tight as we might have thought from the lack of Robinson targets

Edited by Beck Water

30 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think this is probably the right place for this take from a Rams supporter.

Point is that Stafford did appear to have options to throw to an open Allen Robinson, but wasn't taking them.

Of course, he isn't trying to figure out what's the first, second, third read, but it does appear that Robinson was open for some Rams 1st downs and Stafford didn't pull the trigger.

You have to wonder if lack of practice time with Robinson in pre-season is hindering them - if Stafford is just hesitant to make tight window throws to a guy he has limited experience with

Anyway, a bit of a watch-out that our CB zone coverage was perhaps not as tight as we might have thought from the lack of Robinson targets

I'm 4 minutes in and this is pretty awful analysis IMO. Only one of the plays I watched did Robinson really appear to be as open as the guy claims and at that point Stafford was sprinting to his right. I respect Stafford's game but he isn't Allen or Mahomes or Rodgers. The Bills zone spacing was as good as I've ever seen it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

hollywood.jpg

After reviewing the game, I was struck by how the game was not as close as the final score indicated. The Rams got nearly half their total yards in the fourth quarter after the game was already lost. Been a while since we put it together on both sides of the ball like that. And with four turnovers to boot. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Wiz said:

It had to be an Edmunds thread at some point.  At least you took the time and did the research to back it up. 

Though you could have copied that video at the time stamp you are talking about instead of the full thing. 

I TRIED with the timestamp! Such things are difficult for an idiot like me, unfortunately. 

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

First you should add the time stamp 4:12 or 4:13 the play starts.

At least part of this is correct - Poyer recognizes it at the last minute and alerts Edmunds just before the snap.  As he slides back - Edmunds slides to his left just as the ball is snapped - so for that you are incorrect.  He is following what Poyer saw - the recognition by Poyer came late and the crowd noise prevented communication from his deep spot.

Then Edmunds was not a step too late really - the Edmunds thread has both still shots and the video showing him starting to breaking down right in his lane when the OLine from the Rams shoves him from the right and behind causing him to move a step beyond and into Johnson.

The still and videos also show Johnson getting held and blocked from behind preventing him from making the play originally.

There are lots of things you can blame on Edmunds, but I don’t think this play is one.  He reacts immediately at 4:15 before the snap and he get to his spot to force him inside.  The play was there for Milano to stuff it and drive him back.  The support was there for the tackle, but Oliver recognized he could not drive him forward and with incredible agility passed the scrum set his feet and tried to drive him back just as the OLine reached it and collapsed the pile forward causing Ed to twist his ankle.

I could understand the anger if Edmunds had missed the tackle, but he didn’t - he got to his lane and prevented Kupp from going there and forced him inside to the free tackler in Milano.  It was well played and only successful because an OLine came up and was able to shove them forward.

The real question is if Poyer recognized the play and gave explicit instructions to Edmunds - why did it take him so long to get to the spot himself.  If he was expecting screen and saw screen - he should have been rushing to the spot, but he actual enters the screen shot at 4:19/4:20 as Milano is making the tackle and does not head to the scrum but is jumping like we made the stop. If he keeps going in and hits the scrum they maybe get the stop.

I did intend to timestamp the video. Alas, I failed.

I appreciate being taken to task in an objective way as you're doing here. Honestly, though, Edmunds does NOT, to my eye, sell-out on Poyer's pre-snap read the way he could/should have. His eyes were still a bit elsewhere momentarily. Obviously his keys were telling him something a bit different. I was yelling about it as it unfolded in real time.

Of course it's not ALL his fault by any means. But he was maybe the only guy who could have disrupted the play, and it seems obvious Poyer realized that right before the snap.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I appreciate being taken to task in an objective way as you're doing here. Honestly, though, Edmunds does NOT, to my eye, sell-out on Poyer's pre-snap read the way he could/should have. His eyes were still a bit elsewhere momentarily. Obviously his keys were telling him something a bit different. I was yelling about it as it unfolded in real time.

Of course it's not ALL his fault by any means. But he was maybe the only guy who could have disrupted the play, and it seems obvious Poyer realized that right before the snap.

I agree he does not completely sell out - but he also has a job to do and if he had sold out and it had been a run up the middle where he should have been people would have blasted him for that.

I mean really as I stated if Poyer recognized it and after notifying Edmunds - he also could have been in a better spot to assist, but he had a deep area to cover as a primary responsibility.  

The players can not give up their primary responsibility 100% just because they recognize a potential play or you see what happen to Jalen Ramsey on The Diggs TD.  He was looking at Josh recognized an underneath route and Josh rushing to his side and slowed enough to put himself in no man’s land.

Looking at that play either Ramsey or the Safety did not do their primary job of keeping deep contain on Diggs.  The safety was moving to cover the shorter out route and Ramsey slowed down and tried to evenly space to make a play on both allowing the TD over the top.

Poyer couldn’t slide down and add an extra body at the line because if they happened to run a fake with a deep route - he could get burned.  Edmunds could not sell out to that spot because if they had run a straight dive - they would have been outnumbered and potentially given up a big run right down the middle.

Edmunds had to play his primary making sure it was not a handoff/QB sneak type play.  Follow his reads and then get to his spot to make the play.  I am sure alarm bells were blaring as his reads lead to the same thing - quick screen, but he did his 1/11th got to his spot and forced the receiver inside to a funnelling Milano to make the tackle.  It was played perfectly minus a new trend where the OL can drive a pile forward and in this case the Rams did that.  Sometimes the defense does it’s job and the other team gets a break - Ala the Diggs back shoulder throw with Ramsey in perfect coverage that was just a thing of beauty.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Also - I appreciate you posting the video - there is nothing against you in any of this - I totally get it.  

The issue I have was more stemming from some posters in the now gone Edmunds thread that stated a true MLB like Ray Lewis makes that play - why can’t Edmunds and second a true MLB does not allow himself to get blocked by the OL - Edmunds sucks.

I hate having to be an Edmunds apologist because as I have stated several times - he is clearly a mid level starting MLB in the NFL and that is ok - he has potential to be better, but he could be worse.

To that point - many posters wanted to replace him with Bobby Wagner, but refuse to acknowledge that Wagner was not good in that game as a MLB.  There were several runs that he was slow and got blocked by OL, TE, or even Gilliam as a FB.  He also got driven into the end zone by Josh on a play that the Rams paid him to make - read and make that 1:1 tackle at the goal line.

I just think some posters have unrealistic expectations of Edmunds - they want Ray Lewis hits and tackles and that is not ‘Maine - he gives you steady I will be in my place - 1/11th doing my job every time.  That means sometimes things will look bad because he will work to ensure the opponent has to turn back inside to the pursuit, it means sometimes he will fill a gap that is his responsibility and the running back will cut and take a different gap and people blame his instincts.

Edmunds just does his job and that is very frustrating as a fan when you see some LBs go way above and beyond and make a highlight play, but the fans miss the other plays where those instincts caused him to misread the play.

Edited by Rochesterfan

16 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Also - I appreciate you posting the video - there is nothing against you in any of this - I totally get it.  

The issue I have was more stemming from some posters in the now gone Edmunds thread that stated a true MLB like Ray Lewis makes that play - why can’t Edmunds and second a true MLB does not allow himself to get blocked by the OL - Edmunds sucks.

I hate having to be an Edmunds apologist because as I have stated several times - he is clearly a mid level starting MLB in the NFL and that is ok - he has potential to be better, but he could be worse.

To that point - many posters wanted to replace him with Bobby Wagner, but refuse to acknowledge that Wagner was not good in that game as a MLB.  There were several runs that he was slow and got blocked by OL, TE, or even Gilliam as a FB.  He also got driven into the end zone by Josh on a play that the Rams paid him to make - read and make that 1:1 tackle at the goal line.

I just think some posters have unrealistic expectations of Edmunds - they want Ray Lewis hits and tackles and that is not ‘Maine - he gives you steady I will be in my place - 1/11th doing my job every time.  That means sometimes things will look bad because he will work to ensure the opponent has to turn back inside to the pursuit, it means sometimes he will fill a gap that is his responsibility and the running back will cut and take a different gap and people blame his instincts.

Edmunds just does his job and that is very frustrating as a fan when you see some LBs go way above and beyond and make a highlight play, but the fans miss the other plays where those instincts caused him to misread the play.

Maybe "just do[ing] his job" is the issue we often have with our MLB. You'd love for him to trust Poyer's decisive adjustment and cheat left to where the defense is going to be outflanked otherwise. As fans we do NOT know what was communicated there, but upon further review of the play, Edmunds DID shift to his left a bit as Poyer directed. 

I do not enjoy crusading against players on the Bills. I want them all to succeed. On this play, however, the MLB fails. It happens even to better players.

The real issue looks to be post-snap: Edmunds initially takes 2 or 3 steps BACKWARDS, and then, he simply overruns the play (the edge was another player's responsibility to contain). If he isn't going to undercut the blocking and disrupt the play before it gets started (which he can't do if his fist steps are backwards), he then absolutely must STONE one of the lead blockers to give his teammates more time to rally. Taron Johnson effectively outflanks/attacks the edge, so what Edmunds does is redundant and useless. Milano actually almost makes the stop from even FURTHER to the backside of the play; would have helped to have a 250lb freak LB hold his ground with Havenstein right where Milano makes contact. Only needed ONE more player to help him stop the ball carrier's upfield progress. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.