Queen Elizabeth II - 1926-2022

Draconator

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Pegula has a net worth of something like 8.5x the Royal Family.

Thats by Forbes 

They probably have $50 billion worth of real estate … 28 billion of real estate reported and it’s probably a lot more

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Pegula has a net worth of something like 8.5x the Royal Family.

Well then the royal family should buy a team and call it the Monarch's.

If they buy they buy the Lions they could just change logo to the Royal Lions although there may be a few teams which will complain.

18 hours ago, BritBill said:

An example is when there’s been a general election and a winning political party has been declared winner, the leader of the party has to go to the monarch to request permission to form a government. Technically permission can be denied but as this is “ceremonial” it won’t be. 

I’m sure there will be a few more but the internet can probably feed your interest more than I can 👍 

"Technically" I think the last time a British monarch tried to thwart the will of Parliament, he lost his head. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tomorrow (Saturday the 10th) is the First Proclamation, when King Charles III will be announced.

Big ceremony at St. James Palace, which I assume will be covered live by CNN and others.

The coronation won't happen for months and months.

It takes time to prepare that stuff.

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There’s a lot of money and power in owning land , especially pristine land

100 families in the USA now own land the equivalent of New England in size.  40.2 million acres, up from 27 million acres only a decade before!  Eventually about 7 people are going to own this entire country with everything in it. 

The Federal Govt. is by far the biggest land owner at the moment--640 million acres.

FYI --

Queen Elizabeth II was, I think, the last living world leader who took part in the war effort during World War II.   She worked as a mechanic in the Auxiliary Territorial Service beginning in February, 1945 over the objections of her parents. 

Pope Francis was alive during World War II but was a just a child.

On 9/8/2022 at 9:48 PM, Chef Jim said:

Wow.  My condolences to you and your family. 

Sorry if you don't understand why it's such a big deal.  

I rather suspect I have a way better understanding of why it’s a ‘big deal’ than you ever will. The point being that while I expect enormous coverage, and have no issue with that - especially through the medium of television- having it on every little sub section of websites that are supposed to be about something else entirely, is ridiculous.

Edited by Buddo
Typo

10 minutes ago, Buddo said:

I rather suspect I have a way better understanding of why it’s a ‘big deal’ than you ever will. The point being that while I expect enormous coverage, and have no issue with that - especially through the medium of television- having it on every little sub section of websites that are supposed to be about something else entirely, is ridiculous.

Based on this post it's safe to say you don't have a better understanding, let alone a WAY better understanding, of why it's a big deal.  

You have all our thoughts and prayers for your suffering.  :rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Based on this post it's safe to say you don't have a better understanding, let alone a WAY better understanding, of why it's a big deal.  

You have all our thoughts and prayers for your suffering.  :rolleyes:

Considering I've lived in the UK for 60+ years, pretty much my entire life, I'd say I have a far clearer understanding of the sort of 'deal' it is, than the vast majority of people who are on this site - with a few exceptions - and that wouldn't include you. ;)

Just now, Buddo said:

Considering I've lived in the UK for 60+ years, pretty much my entire life, I'd say I have a far clearer understanding of the sort of 'deal' it is, than the vast majority of people who are on this site - with a few exceptions - and that wouldn't include you. ;)

Weird you would have lived there that long and don't understand the history of the Monarchy and the British people's attachment and reverence for it.  

If it weren't such a big deal it wouldn't be all over the media worldwide now would it?  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

Weird you would have lived there that long and don't understand the history of the Monarchy and the British people's attachment and reverence for it.  

If it weren't such a big deal it wouldn't be all over the media worldwide now would it?  

See, that's the thing - you simply don't understand so much about the attitudes of people in the UK, it's not true.

There are significant amounts of people, who would lose no sleep, if the monarchy was removed entirely.

What people in the UK do have, and that does include many who don't want a monarchy, is enormous personal respect for how the late Queen comported herself with tremendous dignity, on just about any occasion. It's probably fair to say that the Queen was revered.

But it doesn't apply to the rest of the Royal family.

Charles, the new King, his sister Anne (the Princess Royal) and William and Kate, are all viewed favourably, generally.

After them, opinion would be somewhat divided, with a probable majority, not caring about them one way or another.

Why is it big news around the world? Well, the Queen was the titular Head of State in a number of countries still, one notable example being Australia, but there are a bunch of others.

There is a political alliance (of sorts) called the Commonwealth, which has something like 50+ countries in it, the majority of which are former British 'dependencies' in one shape or form or another. Many of those countries became independent during the Queen's reign, many of which maintained fairly close ties.

As to not understanding the history of the Monarchy, well, lets just say that the reason the new King is apparently having to repeat himself with some things, is due to the Act of Union, in 1707.

2 minutes ago, Buddo said:

See, that's the thing - you simply don't understand so much about the attitudes of people in the UK, it's not true.

There are significant amounts of people, who would lose no sleep, if the monarchy was removed entirely.

What people in the UK do have, and that does include many who don't want a monarchy, is enormous personal respect for how the late Queen comported herself with tremendous dignity, on just about any occasion. It's probably fair to say that the Queen was revered.

But it doesn't apply to the rest of the Royal family.

Charles, the new King, his sister Anne (the Princess Royal) and William and Kate, are all viewed favourably, generally.

After them, opinion would be somewhat divided, with a probable majority, not caring about them one way or another.

Why is it big news around the world? Well, the Queen was the titular Head of State in a number of countries still, one notable example being Australia, but there are a bunch of others.

There is a political alliance (of sorts) called the Commonwealth, which has something like 50+ countries in it, the majority of which are former British 'dependencies' in one shape or form or another. Many of those countries became independent during the Queen's reign, many of which maintained fairly close ties.

As to not understanding the history of the Monarchy, well, lets just say that the reason the new King is apparently having to repeat himself with some things, is due to the Act of Union, in 1707.

So you don’t understand why it’s a big deal and then go on to type out why it is a big deal.  Got it. 

On 9/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, LeGOATski said:

"Head of Govt".... it's just a ceremonial position, isn't it? It's the lamest thing that people in the US even follow this.

Victorian Parliament stops until every minister’s re-affirms loyalty to the new Monarch. There’s been some conflict with this as the Republican movement steps up, how do you declare loyalty to the Monarch and then want to remove the Monarch…. In the 1970’s the Queen’s representative, the Governor General sacked the Govt. of the day causing an election. Apparently the Govt. was going to sack the Governor General but he got in first, being the Queen’s representative. My understanding is that the ceremonial aspect is to simply ensure that the Govt. Is acting within the Westminster system lawfully and basically signs off on things when required. Not sure if there’s been another conflict to which they’ve said, nope, not signing that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.