9/8/22 Gameday PreGame Thread Bills at Rams NFL Season Kickoff Game! (Mod edit - Thread will be locked just before kickoff tonight!!!)

Chandler#81

Just now, Rc2catch said:

I am a little disappointed not to see shakir active tonight, but I think crowder is being soooooooo under valued by fans. I expect the offense to be more balanced this year, but Allen still has plenty of weapons at his disposal. 

I can't speak for others, but it's certainly not under valuing him at all for me. For me it's simply that Shakir out played him all TC and preseason. Nothing more, nothing less

Been lazy. Should have put effort into this considering it's been a while.

The more I break it down in my head and run through scenarios the more I am confident in our team. I don't know ***** about the Rams short of Ramsey and Donald on defense and 102 yr old Bobby Wagoner, who went to middle school with the late Queen Liz. (Today you learned that).

I think our offense can do enough to not be concerned with Ramsey. I think we end up concerned with Donald. Dorsey is creative. Coming into his first game as an OC but this guy is a winner. Even back to his Miami days he was always prepared, always confident, always ready to throw down. That attitude has him ready to scheme tonight. But you can't scheme for a force like Donald. Kromer needs to help him. Veteran leadership, Mitch Morse, Dion Dawkins, Roger Staffold, these guys need to be on point.

While I am not Dorsey, if I was here is what I would do based on how I'd look to beat him. I'd put Ramsey on one side and slide coverage to the strong side of Diggs. If it's Diggs v Ramsey I let them play. If it's Diggs v the rookie I'd slide the coverage there and expect Ramsey to hold his own v Davis. I'd not be ready to crown Davis yet. I'd hit him on the line early and often. So if I'm planning to beat myself I use big bodies with Davis. I put Knox and the Toledo FB over there with him out wide to beat up on some DB's.  Run with an RB or McKenzie at Wagoner to put him beside his Middle School classmate tonight.

Back to our WR, we simply use McKenzie over and over again to expose coverage. I'd not expect him involved early, maybe he is... But I expect him to be a key to unlocking the D.

We look to feed Diggs because he's a top WR. A top WR beats a top CB more often then not.

We don't need Josh to run, i would coach him not to run. If I'm coaching against him tonight and have Donald who you know will be a force every play then I don't want to overcome the pocket to force Josh to move up. I beat him in coverage.

I play nickel defense every day. I laugh at Singleterry. I hold my LBs in the flat, not even spying him. What's the point? My LBs can't match him. I'd rather read and react. No blitz, nothing fancy.

I make Josh throw the ball against my defending Super Bowl team and the best defensive player of the last 20 years. 

1 minute ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I can't speak for others, but it's certainly not under valuing him at all for me. For me it's simply that Shakir out played him all TC and preseason. Nothing more, nothing less

He played well but wasn’t likely to see many snaps tonight on offense. WR core too deep. Rookie Lance mccutcheon also inactive for rams

21 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I’m a bit surprised. Loved what Shakir has shown to date. I kinda felt like they would try to find ways to get him involved whether returning kicks. I mean he looked totally calm and collected out there in preseason and had a knack of getting open and making plays 

I hope they are not overthinking this..

Me neither.  I thought Spector would be inactive.

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

The panic and confusion over Shakir being inactive are funny to me. He looked good in preseason, sure, but he’s a fifth round rookie. His time will come.

Any time the Bills activate all their running backs, they’ll likely deactivate either Shakir or Crowder. Crowder gets the jersey now as the sturdy vet. Over time, he’ll likely yield snaps to Shakir.

R-E-L-A-X

It's not really a "panic" issue I don't think (for me anyways). Also not as much the reason the decision was made, but more that Shakir really out played him by a fairly good margin it seemed that makes it so surprising.