9/8/22 Gameday PreGame Thread Bills at Rams NFL Season Kickoff Game! (Mod edit - Thread will be locked just before kickoff tonight!!!)

Chandler#81

Eyes on the prize fellas,  play fierce, play smart, 

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

The DL beyond DE.  It's McDermott and Frazier's baby.  They made the largest number of significant FA moves on the DL.  They signed a lot of FA on OL, but Rodger Saffold is the only significant (top 20 cap hit) contract, the rest are all vet minimum guys.  But Da'Quan Jones, Jordan Phillips, and Tim Settle are all top-20 cap hits for the Bills. 

The question is, does that pay off?  Do we now have a DL that can both affect the QB, AND stop the run?  

The Bills defensive philosophy, historically and no evidence it has changed, has been to affect the QB with a 4-man rush which also contains the run.  And last year, much of the time, it was not good enough at either.

So have they fixed that?  Because if they can get in Stafford's face, he can get flustered and less accurate and inadequacies at DB will matter less.  But if they give Kupp time to find the gaps in our zone and Stafford time to find Kupp, it will be a long evening.

We're hearing a lot of noise about the Bills OL vs Aaron Donald and the Bills WR vs Jalen Ramsey, but IMO how the Rams OL does vs the Bills DL is an under-heralded  matchup, and not just WRT sacks, but with regard to run game if the Rams do try to take the pressure off Stafford with a run game. 

The Bills were vulnerable last year to teams that could run the ball well and pass "enough".  Have we fixed that?

This 100%. I think we can move the ball on anyone and should be able to tonight. As usual comes down to the defense and in my opinion the D line and if they can pressure Stafford or not. If it’s like last year, then yeah it’s going to be a long night. Vons impact both in terms of him getting sacks and allowing guys like Oliver to eat will be the key to this defense being a liability or not. Don’t give me the whole “they were the #1 defense” talk. Our D scared literally no one and that was proven anytime we played a competent QB. I had zero confidence this team could ever get a critical stop when needed did you? If you’re being honest, you didn’t. Von HAS TO CHANGE THAT

38 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Things I Am Confident In, Things I Am Concerned With, Things I am Hopeful/Looking Forward To

Offense:

Things I am confident in:

Josh Allen to Diggs, Davis, Lil Dirty, Knox, Motor-- I am confident in ALL these guys. It's going to be a show!

Things I am concerned with:

I feel like the only concern on offense if Ken Dorsey. I have a lot of faith in him, but this will be his first real game as a play caller. If he starts to spin out, and we see Allen with his hands over his ears, with a confused look on his face, wondering what Dorsey is trying to do-- chaos could ensue. Allen certainly has a handle o this offense, but if Dorsey isn't doing his job well, it will have an impact. (It's not a huge concern to me-- but it is a concern.)

Things I am hopeful/looking forward to:

An improved run game, especially with regards to the O-line. I felt all last season that the problems we had running the ball had little to do with Singletary, and far more to do with the O-line. And from that perspective, it really looked like the Bills were committed to improving the run during the offseason. I would love to see this come to fruition.

Defense:

Things I am confident in:

The defensive line. No explanation necessary.

Things I am concerned with:

The secondary, and it isn't close. And not just the CB situation. We really don't know for sure how healed Poyer's elbow is. He does still have a brace on it. And, ya know... his elbows are a pretty big part of his game... But, the CB sitch is especially concerning to me. I hate to say it, but I really wish Levi Wallace had been wearing blue boxer shorts during that phone call with his agent. If he were still on the team, there is a fair chance that Dane Jackson wouldn't even be starting. And a rookie opposite him? With Stafford throwing to Cooper Krupp, and Robinson, and Higbee? Yes, I am concerned.

Things I am hopeful/looking forward to:

Really looking forward to seeing this defensive line perform. Many have said it (including Von Miller), but I'm looking forward to Groot having a breakout season. I hope it starts tonight! (I'll be at SoFi to see it happen!)

GO BILLS!

Pretty much the same thoughts but also a bit worried about the oline. They also have the skill, though, to shut down the Rams dline. 

Taron Johnson is going to be the key to this game on defense. On 3rd and mediums when Stafford is looking to Cupp for that 5 or 6 yard out route or slant Johnson needs to be ready. The winner of that battle wins the game IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, 716er said:

Pretty much the same thoughts but also a bit worried about the oline. They also have the skill, though, to shut down the Rams dline. 

Taron Johnson is going to be the key to this game on defense. On 3rd and mediums when Stafford is looking to Cupp for that 5 or 6 yard out route or slant Johnson needs to be ready. The winner of that battle wins the game IMO.

Interesting analysis on Taron. 

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah I was still lost.  Had to google.  Now I want to watch the show haha.

It’s an excellent show. Had some loose ends and lost a little steam to me in the final season. Then I learned that wasn’t the end of the story. Just the end of its TV run. Apparently, they’ll finish it via feature film. 

• Thank you (+1) 1