Bills and trademarking “Bills Mafia”

Steel City Mafia

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

The article Gugny just posted is pretty clear that the Bills didn't have to reach out to Del and those guys, but did so out of respect. 

From a financial standpoint, you can't take someone's billion dollar brand, add your own twist to it as a fan brand and have any standing to make money for yourself claiming it's now your trademark. The Bills own the Bills trademark. 

Pretty cool the relationship the original Bills Mafia guys have with the team though. 

I'm wondering what percentage of Bills Mafia merchandise revenue (for merch sold through the Bills Store) goes to charity.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I'm wondering what percentage of Bills Mafia merchandise revenue (for merch sold through the Bills Store) goes to charity.

The Bills provide plenty of charitable work and donations. Why would they have to give a specific percentage of Mafia merch sales to charity just cause Reid was doing that? 

IDK, that article you posted said that the NFL does revenue sharing with merch sales, so they can't promise any donations to charity. 

This is where I hope they lean in to their relationship with the Bills Mafia originators, and do some fund. raising with them. 

If any. *shrugs* no idea. Interesting question though. And which charity if so.

Just now, StHustle said:

The Bills provide plenty of charitable work and donations. Why would they have to give a specific percentage of Mafia merch sales to charity just cause Reid was doing that? 

26Shirts is/has always been charity driven, so I think it just makes sense that - as the Bills take ownership of the slogan - it continues to contribute to the original mission.

Just now, Motorin' said:

IDK, that article you posted said that the NFL does revenue sharing with merch sales, so they can't promise any donations to charity. 

This is where I hope they lean in to their relationship with the Bills Mafia originators, and do some fund. raising with them. 

I didn't know that about merch sales, thanks.  Totally agree with your second sentence, which is really what I'm curious about.  I'd be shocked if there wasn't something agreed upon once discussions started.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gugny said:

26Shirts is/has always been charity driven, so I think it just makes sense that - as the Bills take ownership of the slogan - it continues to contribute to the original mission

I gotta disagree…that company has made millions off of a team they have no ownership in. The Bills owe them nothing. They owe the Bills everything.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

this seems to be a litmus test issue within the fanbase. You either embrace it or don't. It would get annoying if you did not like it I get that. But I think clearly the intent behind it was o signify "family" not "gangsters" just sayin'. I grew up with a lot of Italians.  I understand the stereotype they want to rebuke 100%. But I embrace the Bills family concept Bills Mafia" but that's just me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, StHustle said:

I gotta disagree…that company has made millions off of a team they have no ownership in. The Bills owe them nothing. They owe the Bills everything.

Where I'm coming from, it's not 26Shirts OR The Bills that I'm worried about ... it's about those in need who've been benefitting from the sales of this merch for a decade.

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like the Bills Mafia name. I don't have a different suggestion, but not sure why we can't just be referred to as Bills fanbase. 

Hate hate the jumping /crashing tables nonsense too.

I can't stand the table crap, either.

As for Bills Mafia, I've always been pretty much indifferent.  I think it's harmless.  I could take it or leave it.  I'd never purchase any Bills Mafia merch, myself, but it doesn't bug me that others do.

I'll say this, though ... I'd get a Bills Mafia tattoo before I ever donned a pair of ***** zubaz!

• Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I know I'm in the minority but I really don't like the Bills Mafia name. I don't have a different suggestion, but not sure why we can't just be referred to as Bills fanbase. 

Hate hate the jumping /crashing tables nonsense too.

Cracks me up when local WNY media throw up over themselves trying to set a Guinness Book of World Records for most times uttering the phrase Bills Mafia in a 30 minute newscast. 

It is so forced that it becomes comical. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

No.  It wa explained above..  Founders couldn't establish rights using the Bills name.  

But, the standing buffalo isn't trademarked... anyone could put anything with that logo. 

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Cracks me up when local WNY media throw up over themselves trying to set a Guinness Book of World Records for most times uttering the phrase Bills Mafia in a 30 minute newscast. 

It is so forced that it becomes comical. 

and every year we sing Bohemian Rhapsody at Oktoberfest to set a record of a group sing 

EVEN though we know we 1000 people are way way short of the Guinness Book 

Let them have their fun 🤩 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.