How much of a drop off is Ken Dorsey from Brian Daboll (if any)?

JohnNord

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

hot take inbound:

Daboll was a good to very good OC who occasionally had lapses in judgement where he got either too cute or too predictable with playcalling.  Dorsey, if he can avoid that, will be as good if not better

I will forever be grateful to Dabs for developing QB1.  But Daboll had his fair share of head scratchers, there's no denying that.  Dorsey will stumble a little too but from what I've heard he is a bright offensive mind.  We're in good hands. It's our defense that will concern me more.  On no planet should 13 seconds ever happen.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Daboll was better than most fans want to think he was. Did a great job with this offense and developing Josh Allen. 

But at this stage Josh Allen is completely coordinator proof. I don't expect any drop off as long as Dorsey doesn't suddenly decide we need to run the ball a ton more.

I liked Daboll overall.  I think when a play blows up, people generally will just blame the play calling.  Execution doesn't seem to be a term used very often.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, dorquemada said:

hot take inbound:

Daboll was a good to very good OC who occasionally had lapses in judgement where he got either too cute or too predictable with playcalling.  Dorsey, if he can avoid that, will be as good if not better

yes, Daboll did have some brain cramps with the cutesy stuff.

• Agree 1

I'm of the unpopular opinion that Brian Daboll was just an average Offensive Coordinator, and we actually may be better with Ken Dorsey.

Before coming to Buffalo, Daboll did time as the OC of the Browns, Dolphins and Chiefs... and the results were pretty terrible at all three stops.  In his first two years in Buffalo, the offense gradually moved from pretty bad to middle of the pack.  Then suddenly Josh Allen had his breakout season in 2020, and the somehow the entire NFL concludes that Daboll is some kind of playcalling genius and quarterback guru.  I'm not buying it.  Not to mention, Daboll struggled during the first 75% of last season in developing a running game, and adjusting to how defenses were now playing us.

Don't get me wrong.  Having continuity at OC was definitely a big thing for Allen's development.  It allowed him to focus more on his mechanics and learning how to read a defense, instead of constantly restarting with a new playbook (like so many other young QBs).  But now that Allen is a veteran superstar, and every defense is keyed on stopping him... we need an OC that knows how to adjust and attack with other players.

My feeling in the offseason is that our offense will have a greater focus on the O-Line's run blocking, and getting the backs involved.  Which will ultimately make us more consistent, and less likely to have games like Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rubes said:

I thought Daboll was a very good OC with some great game plans and stretches of really excellent playcalling. Also, periods of time when the planning and playcalling were real head scratchers.

I'm hoping Dorsey will improve on that. He's got the creativity and all the tools, we'll just have to see.

The main differences between Daboll and Dorsey are Daboll has coaches on both sides if the line so he has more insight into what defenses might do and Dorsey used to be a very good college QB who physically was too limited to NFL due to arm strength.  

Daboll and Allen were fire and gasoline when he became OC but Daboll learned to temper himself and being in booth helped.  He and Allen bound afterwards with many calls made by either man when Daboll learned to accept Allen's ideas and run new ones by him.  Despite breaking rules for amount of contact between player and coach during offseason NFLPA never raised issue.

With Dorsey we have seen no friction and he seems to understand what plays work well for a big bodied mobile QB like Allen and Cam Newton.  With Panthers it is interesting that he worked with Joe Webb as well another very mobile larger QB.  

I was expected Dorsey would have brought in as an assistant someone he worked for or played with which would have helped me analyzing his style.  In press conferences he is very comfortable without getting bland or irritated which is a good sign that he is comfortable now.

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I fully expect Dorsey to be better than Daboll.  I always thought Daboll was limited, and I actually was hoping someone would offer him a head coaching gig, so he'd leave.    

I started with some doubts about Dorsey, but I'm fully on board now.  I think he's smarter than Daboll, and I think he's more willing to take risks than Daboll.   I think he will be a hot head coaching prospect in three years, max.   The Bills will need to write him a big check to keep in Buffalo as OC, just like the Pats were willing to do with McDaniels.  

Am I sure?  Of course not.   He could fail miserably.    I just don't think the Daboll set some kind of really high bar.   I think Dorsey's been waiting a few years for the opportunity to run an offense, studying, working at it.   I think he probably had opportunities to leave Buffalo, but he chose to stay for three years.  Why?   Because he see where this was going, and it meant that his OC opportunity was coming in Buffalo, so he waited for it. 

I was going to write something very similar to this but you already wrote it for me.  Totally how I feel about it.

First nobody really knows how good or bad Daboll was. Second we know absolutely nothing about Dorsey. Third we have Josh Allen, which makes whoever is calling plays look good. Daboll didn't get beat blocking on 4th and 1 at Tenn and he didn't give up a FG with 13 seconds left. I think the Bills offense will be just fine if the oline stays healthy.  Im more worried about that #1 defense facing real QBs this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Most people seem to react to OC's as if they consider play calling as their most important function.  That may be right. But I don't think that is the case. I think the development of overall scheme and the individual play designs are more important than the play calling.  To me the best OC's have their players in a postion to execute even though everyone in the stadium knows the obvious play.  The Bills were never going to win because Daboll out thought the opposing team's coaches. I never thought Daboll developed much of an overall scheme or any sort of superior play design. If Dorsey is average, he will be as good as Daboll. 

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

House I have a ton of respect for you but man.

This is your sarcasm at its best, yes?

If not? the only way, we lose McD is not making it to the SB. do you predict that? tell me it aint so

I believe he means head coach for another team next year.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.