Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He’s been blocking just fine, which is mainly how they’ve used him so far.  

I actually really like Morris.  Think we may have something there.  

Sweeney still being here is obviously, whatever. 

I forget the exact specifics but it was reported on the radio but apparently his blocking in some sort of capacity has tripled from 7% (in whatever metrics, percent of plays or something) in previous years to 20+% this year.  He got his money, he'll do what's asked of him.  I'm also of the notion that they're saving him for bigger/match-up games like the Chiefs while they bring Morris along.  Nothing to worry about with his "slow start".

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Very disappointing start to the season for Knox. Also, it’s wild the Bills still don’t have any other TEs.

If only there was a very recent critical catch at an important time in an important game that helped the Bills go on to score and secure victory that we could point to.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

It's "possible" we're saving specific offensive looks for KC.  Like spreading Knox out wide

Dorsey needs to get through this PIT game with a win.  Just win.

His first huge test as an NFL OC will be what he brings to the Chiefs game next week.  It will tell us a lot as to what kind of OC we got. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just in the Ravens game alone, he had a pretty big catch for 20 on that last drive that was clutch. Also had a huge catch to get down to the 1 and out of bounds before half to setup the McKenzie TD. Had a HUGE seal block to spring Shakir on that 12 yard run.

He does a lot of little things that dont show up on stat sheets but are crucial to us winning.

He's a problem for teams.

He'll get his eventually.

I agree that not having that 2nd TE threat is hampering what Dorsey wants to do, and the way he is using Knox. He had 2 TEs when he was playing in Miami, right? Shockey and Winslow?

yes - the two of them were uniquely different. shockey was like Knox. Winslow would have been OJ Howard.

if we could get a Hunter Henry or Njoku that would yuuggeeee.

we wouldn't need to have 3 slot WR's and tweener outside depth.

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Just in the Ravens game alone, he had a pretty big catch for 20 on that last drive that was clutch. Also had a huge catch to get down to the 1 and out of bounds before half to setup the McKenzie TD. Had a HUGE seal block to spring Shakir on that 12 yard run.

also this - it showed that when Josh wants to and when we must we can use Knox at will.

this was telling and encouraging and makes me think we are not seeing all that is there yet.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

He has $20M guaranteed and is scheduled to make $11M in 2025.  Highly paid TE's usually produce more than 28 yards per game with 0 TD's.  

Excellent post! Sure am glad you are judging him in 4 games, because that’s really smart. 

5 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

No it won't.  You do realize his contract averages $13M per year.  He is guaranteed a total of $31M of the total contract of $52M.  He is averaging 27 yards per game with zero TD's and his quarterback is a Top 3 QB by anyone's standards.  He is not earning his money.  That said, he will be judged by his performance in big games anyway, not garbage TD's and yards in blowout wins.  He needs to produce when the playoffs arrive.  

I have a suggestion for you

shut the fuck up GIF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

He has $20M guaranteed and is scheduled to make $11M in 2025.  Highly paid TE's usually produce more than 28 yards per game with 0 TD's.  

because that is all  that TEs do  lol

miss the forest for the trees

Edited by Pete
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Einstein said:

Blocking TE’s don’t make what Knox is making.

Teams need to game plan for Knox.  Its not like he can't run routes.  Hes been blocking a lot this season, and has made some stellar blocks on some key plays.  Knox gives 100%.  Hes definitely top 10 TEs, and there are only a couple better IMO.  Kyle Pitts should be such a weapon.  But hes been a dud fantasym because he gets stuck blocking like Knox

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, todd said:

Excellent post! Sure am glad you are judging him in 4 games, because that’s really smart. 

I think the point is more the entire contract was based on Knox growing as a player and getting better, there's not even remotely an argument that can be made he's presently earned this money.  His contract is purely growth and protection. 

Early on this season we have gotten zero growth out of him especially when we need it most with Gabes injury. 

Long way to go but early returns are not good. It's a fair criticism, but long way to go.

• Disagree 3

17 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I think the point is more the entire contract was based on Knox growing as a player and getting better, there's not even remotely an argument that can be made he's presently earned this money.  His contract is purely growth and protection. 

Early on this season we have gotten zero growth out of him especially when we need it most with Gabes injury. 

Long way to go but early returns are not good. It's a fair criticism, but long way to go.

But is that his fault or is that down to how Dorsey is using him?

I don't think Knox is regressing one bit but we're not utilising him as much as a receiver for whatever reason; perhaps because of the shakiness of our O Line we feel we get more from him, for the team, as a blocker?

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I don't think Knox is regressing one bit but we're not utilising him as much as a receiver for whatever reason; perhaps because of the shakiness of our O Line we feel we get more from him, for the team, as a blocker?

Don't take some of these fans too much to heart.

Knox is going to miss the next game and it will result in his first 5 games being a mere shadow of what he did last year in the

same number of games.

An extremist (like the guys you're trying to reply to) think it's his regression and a waste of capital from Beane.

Some us fans with a bit more of a realistic nature think it might be something else.

Dorsey has a full 4 games under his belt and is 3-1.  Brian Daboll was 0-4 in his first stint as an OC.

I'm of the opinion that Ken needs some time to work up all aspects of his schemes.  Others are of the opinion that he should be

the all-around best OC to bring out the very best in every offensive player right out of the gate.

Bills fans can pick which opinion to back.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

It's his fault, his whole career he's made spectacular grabs but can't make routine plays. 

He's run the 8th most routes of any TE in the league. Last year he ran the 8th most routes of any TE. He gets plenty of opportunity in the passing game. He's continually poor in yards per route run (32nd this year,  22nd last year, 31st year prior)... unless we are to say Josh is to blame?

Just last week he pulled him arms back and gave the defense an INT instead of just catching the ball. 

I like Knox, i do, but he is a frustrating player. 

It's a long year lots of football to be played, but blows my mind how sensitive people are to any criticism of a guy that hasn't produced and recently signed a monster contract.

• Like (+1) 1