Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

I know we were all expecting more out of Dawson after he signed the contract, but while disappointing he is on track for his career high in receptions.   He is also on pace for around his career season average in yards.

I think its possible that expectations were way too high for the guy going into the season.   At the end of last season he was around the 15th best Tight End in terms of receptions and receiving yards.   Through the first four games of this year, he is right around the same place.   What we fail to factor in at times is his blocking ability.  He isnt a tight end that you constantly have to split wide, he plays on the line as well.  I think this factored into his resigning.

Probably just need to stop waiting for the guy to be Kelce or Mark Andrews, he is just not that level of tight end.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Probably just need to stop waiting for the guy to be Kelce or Mark Andrews, he is just not that level of tight end.  

Maybe he could be, but the bigger difference is both of those guys are their teams #1 target. For the Bills, Knox is like #3 or #4. Only so many balls to go around, and our offense runs through Diggs and the WRs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

We overpaid for Knox, but that said, he is there to produce in the playoffs. He will be judged by how he performs in the big games late in the year, just like all our big $ guys.  This team knows it is going to the playoffs.  This is a Super Bowl or bust team. Teams will try to shut down Diggs in the playoffs. Just like KC did last year.  Guys like Knox and Davis will have to fill that void.

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Maybe he could be, but the bigger difference is both of those guys are their teams #1 target. For the Bills, Knox is like #3 or #4. Only so many balls to go around, and our offense runs through Diggs and the WRs.

Exactly. Just like no team gets huge production from a RB unless they give it to him 25/30 times a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

Knox just needs to find the end zone and I think he'll get there this week and next week vs the Chefs.

A TD or two and everyone will be saying how much like Kelce he is.

On those plays we have inside the 5 yard line, I'd rather have Josh throwing it to Knox than handing it off, from shotgun, to any of our RB's and running it up the gut for -1 yard

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Well said.  Fans getting all over Knox is a bit foolish but it's the way of the world anymore.

The offense in general is nowhere solidified yet.  Bills got a new OC and has had a banged-up OL/WR core.

Bills have some issues in the run game to boot.

Knox himself is bang-up and has had a pretty rough summer with his family.

I'm not criticizing OC Dorsey, but he's still got a lot to do and learn.  I don't think enough Bills fans can appreciate what Dorsey

is going through.  We all need to give this thing some more time. 

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Serious question. Compared to what? He's the #22 paid TE next year. And barely on the list this year.\

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/tight-end/

Well said again.  He doesn't start getting big money until 2024.  Funny thing is after that they can get out of the contract

pretty cheap.  Hmmm, maybe Brandon Beane knows what he's doing when it comes to what Knox will or won't be doing by them.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Serious question. Compared to what? He's the #22 paid TE next year. And barely on the list this year.\

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/tight-end/

He has $20M guaranteed and is scheduled to make $11M in 2025.  Highly paid TE's usually produce more than 28 yards per game with 0 TD's.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

$11M in 2025 will be bottom of the list. He isnt highly paid.

No it won't.  You do realize his contract averages $13M per year.  He is guaranteed a total of $31M of the total contract of $52M.  He is averaging 27 yards per game with zero TD's and his quarterback is a Top 3 QB by anyone's standards.  He is not earning his money.  That said, he will be judged by his performance in big games anyway, not garbage TD's and yards in blowout wins.  He needs to produce when the playoffs arrive.  

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Knox has done everything asked of him this season. I used to doubt him, but I’ve grown to love his potential. I don’t understand why we can’t incorporate him into being a regular part of this offense. I’m jealous when I see how guys like Kelce and Kittle are used. Knox isn’t at that level, but I’d like to see him integrated into our game plan in a similar manner. We need to see if he can carry that load. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

No it won't.  You do realize his contract averages $13M per year.  He is guaranteed a total of $31M of the total contract of $52M.  He is averaging 27 yards per game with zero TD's and his quarterback is a Top 3 QB by anyone's standards.  He is not earning his money.  That said, he will be judged by his performance in big games anyway, not garbage TD's and yards in blowout wins.  He needs to produce when the playoffs arrive.  

Did you read my earlier post?  Is it Knox calling the plays?  Can you give the Bills new OC some time to gameplan him properly?

Can you give the new OC some extra time due to his "bigger fish to fry" concerns with a banged-up OL/WRs?

Can you give the new OC some credit for introducing a RB pass catching scheme to work up?

I'm so glad I still can see your posts.  You do amuse me.

21 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Knox has done everything asked of him this season. I used to doubt him, but I’ve grown to love his potential. I don’t understand why we can’t incorporate him into being a regular part of this offense. I’m jealous when I see how guys like Kelce and Kittle are used. Knox isn’t at that level, but I’d like to see him integrated into our game plan in a similar manner. We need to see if he can carry that load. 

It's "possible" we're saving specific offensive looks for KC.  Like spreading Knox out wide

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

Very disappointing start to the season for Knox. Also, it’s wild the Bills still don’t have any other TEs.

He’s been blocking just fine, which is mainly how they’ve used him so far.  

I actually really like Morris.  Think we may have something there.  

Sweeney still being here is obviously, whatever. 

• Agree 1