Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I think of them as a safety net back there. They so rarely make a mistake (I know, it’s happens so you don’t need to remind me) that it gives me a level of comfort. 

But age is age, and dollars are dollars.  They have to find a way to make it all work, even if it might be at the expense of some older guys. I’m pretty confident they can find and develop replacement DB’s if need be.

Colin Cowherd recently was discussing spending trends in the NFL.  Most teams spend a good chunk of their money on QB, WR, DE, and CB.  He specifically mentioned the Bills spending more money at S and LB than most teams.  I believe Beane is shifting resources towards D line.  He signed Miller, likely will extend Oliver, and most likely let Poyer leave via FA.  He drafted Benford and Bernard who may be starters next year.  I don't see how the Bills can keep both Milano and Edmunds next year.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

There we’re games where without Levi Wallace, we lose. Yet we let him walk.

We've seen a few things 'round here.

But that is one of the most unique combinations of vowels and consonants to ever deck these walls. :blink:

• Haha (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dawson Knox has a tough matchup against Bobby Wagner. Can make a name for himself with a big game

Interesting point.

I looked up his receptions against the Seahawks in 2020 and he had none.   Didn't look at his snap count in the game but I believe kroft was the primary TE that game. 

6 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

That's how long it took to groom Knox, one of the least polished and raw TE prospects in recent memory.  A more polished TE like Notre Dame's Michael Mayer (this is just an example) may be ready in a year or less to do what Knox did last year.  We could debate the pro-readiness of every eligible TE and maybe its safer to say replace in year or two by grooming an early round draft pick and sign a solid FA signing in the meantime, but my point still stands.  

Tj hock was highest prospect I remember in a decade and it took him 2 years to hit stride.... and prospects like that aren't sliding to 30s

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Dawson Knox has a tough matchup against Bobby Wagner. Can make a name for himself with a big game

Bobby Wagner can’t cover anyone that far down field. Good luck in the seams Bobby. 

This also provides insurance should Gabe want some nutty salary. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Chewmylegoff said:

Man, I hate those gimmicky TDs.  One is bad enough but several...  Can’t stand it.  Vanilla TDs are worth 7 gimmicky TDs.  And don’t get me started on all those flukes. 

Lol and the gimmicky part of those plays is more often than not just Josh scrambling buying time to find best receiver and usually seems Knox mirrors Josh and gives him a good target.  Knox is very good at giving Josh a safety valve when pressure has him moving.  Iirc it was Knox that failed to catch that lateral in Josh's rookie year back before all the Bills offense learned with Josh you keep playing till you hear the whistle.   Unlike any of us we don't know the plays Dorsey has in his playbook the Bills front office does and they know exactly how well Knox fits in their plans.  I don't see the Bills trying to lowball players under this front office. When some players wanted to cash in they did elsewhere and yet a couple came back and seems like for fairly team friendly deals.  Lawson and Phillips got more $$  elsewhere before returning to be Bills again.  Knox also bought a house in WNY before this so it's possible both sides already knew they were gonna get deal done.  

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

1st step towards Poyer and Edmunds becoming UFA’s next season.  

Next step…Ed Oliver extension. 

I think you’re right on target.  I hate the idea of ignoring Pouer this year ; he has actually earned at least a 2 year extension, moreso with green sidelined and they need great safety play with those cbs. Edmunds tho has to realize he is pro playin to earn his bag from a different team next year.  He can play hard for the ring , but with each signing , he has to see the reality that they signed Milano, and added two ne LBs to the squad this year.  

I think he has to play above prior years production if they expect to bring home the Lombardi. So many apologists keep calling people haters if they critique edmunds at all, but with that standard , Beane and Mcd must Be haters then as after 4 seasons they still haven’t seen enough to commit to more, and so they ( fan boys) can throw out names and say we are not real fans or we don’t understand the nuances edmunds brings and is asked to do!  They will,talk aboit all the passes not thrown in his area.  Yet  in the end , did he make enough splash plays to finally live up to his supposed pro bowl status , did he finally have ints / PBU’s , / TFL’s , and sacks ?  Or is it more soft and missed tackles after 5-8 yard gains, did he force fumbles with hard hits or slow up prior to makimg contact, did the d get off the field on third and long or,did we see 10-12 play time consuming drives ?  

This is a huge hyped year unlike any I remember ( and I was around for the 4 SB run and live at the last two ) and those teams were never hyped like this. I think this is their best shot ( despite the murderers row opening schedule. ), and the D under Frazier has to finally get sacks and be disruptive against Stafford, Tannehill, maholmes, Rodgers to make a few. Then the final say is Beanes, and the question will be definitively answered. I hope they run this team back because they want to be remembered like the boys winning back to back after a great year, and I hope edmunds deserves that chance.  Early signs tho look like he will be depositing his bag in another city, and there’s no hate driving that. 

3 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Like the fact he’s going to be here, feel like they could have gotten to him earlier for less, but whatever.  I’ll judge more when I see the numbers.  If anything, I really hope this means Edmunds will walk after the season.

That Bernard pick in the third is still interesting to me and it may be what they see out of him that determines Edmunds's fate.  It wouldn't shock me if they locked up Edmunds long term with a cap friendly first year on his contract.  That way they can keep Milano for one more season and cut bait saving about eight million in 2024 with Bernard taking his place.  Honestly, it's difficult to get a read on what this front office thinks of Edmunds.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That Bernard pick in the third is still interesting to me and it may be what they see out of him that determines Edmunds's fate.  It wouldn't shock me if they locked up Edmunds long term with a cap friendly first year on his contract.  That way they can keep Milano for one more season and cut bait saving about eight million in 2024 with Bernard taking his place.  Honestly, it's difficult to get a read on what this front office thinks of Edmunds.

However, Bernard has really been used in the latter half of camp and in the pre-season games almost exclusively as the 2nd team MLB. Dodson has been the guy playing as the third LB in 4-3 base and the guy backing up Matt Milano. And in terms of Bernard's play on the field he has looked much more comfortable sticking his nose into the rough stuff near the line of scrimmage than he has covering in space. 

My take on Edmunds has been that they are going to let this year play out, and I still feel that way. I don't think that means he is definitely gone after the season, he could still earn an extension but I think early returns on Bernard suggest that he and Edmunds are competing for one spot in this defense. Edmunds obviously has that spot locked up for 2022, but I think beyond the season they have a big decision to make. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1