Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

That's all fair I don't disagree with any of that.  Just for that kind of money, Knox better be (or quickly develop to be) an impact player that creates his circumstances, not a guy that merely benefits from attention from others.  We can only resign so many, this deal will likely prevent us from signing one of Oliver or Edmunds (I could live with Edmunds going for Knox, not Oliver). 

I don’t think the Bills are going to let Oliver go anywhere.  I also disagree with your characterization of Knox as a guy who “just happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

If you’re going to build and maintain a team the way Beane intends, rewarding a player like Knox who still has his best football ahead of him makes perfect sense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

His open market value would be very similar to what we just gave him. In fact, if his touchdowns regressed (which the probably will) he may even be less.  His yards/catches were not impressive (not nearly enough to warrant that money). Most importantly, watching the games, no defenses are losing sleep over Dawson Knox.  His salary demands he be an impact player, I'm not so sure he is, nor has TE been a premium position in our offense (maybe that changes with Dorsey).  My whole point is that we shouldn't overly spend on TE, which is being inflated by some elite receivers at the position, unless the TE is in fact elite.  I don't think that's Knox but hope he proves me wrong and develops further. 

I want to know why you think his touchdowns are going to regress they have already said in the off-season that the tight end is going to get use more in this offense do you even pay attention

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

I don’t think the Bills are going to let Oliver go anywhere.  I also disagree with your characterization of Knox as a guy who “just happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

If you’re going to build and maintain a team the way Beane intends, rewarding a player like Knox who still has his best football ahead of him makes perfect sense. 

Having him sign his contract and get on that plane with all his vet friends congratulating his efforts is an inspiration to the young guys.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You feel bad for a guy who has lived a very charmed life, is married to an IG model, has already earned $36M by 32 years old, is lined up to win a Super Bowl, and will likely make another $20M+ in free agency with another team before retiring at 35? :huh:

Well when you put it that way…

25 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

That's how long it took to groom Knox, one of the least polished and raw TE prospects in recent memory.  A more polished TE like Notre Dame's Michael Mayer (this is just an example) may be ready in a year or less to do what Knox did last year.  We could debate the pro-readiness of every eligible TE and maybe its safer to say replace in year or two by grooming an early round draft pick and sign a solid FA signing in the meantime, but my point still stands.  

May…

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You feel bad for a guy who has lived a very charmed life, is married to an IG model, has already earned $36M by 32 years old, is lined up to win a Super Bowl, and will likely make another $20M+ in free agency with another team before retiring at 35? :huh:

In terms of being a team/culture captain that has done EVERYTHING right…. I feel bad for him too.  He wants to be here and wants to be what he’s worth.  Beane has shown that he rewards those that deserve it.  Poyer deserves it….but it’s unfortunately a numbers game.  There are too many players that have bought in, done the work and deserve the pay day…. Or just so happens that they are younger than Poyer.  

We’ve yet to see the McD/Frazier D without the Poyer/Hyde pairing for an extended period of time.  I think they’ve been the driving force behind our D’s success.  We know it wasn’t the pass rush or run d leading the way all these years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Having him sign his contract and get on that plane with all his vet friends congratulating his efforts is an inspiration to the young guys.

A very underrated aspect of this besides the fact that Dawson is a good player the bills are showing if you work your ass off your organization will reward you for it

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

His open market value would be very similar to what we just gave him. In fact, if his touchdowns regressed (which the probably will) he may even be less.  His yards/catches were not impressive (not nearly enough to warrant that money). Most importantly, watching the games, no defenses are losing sleep over Dawson Knox.  His salary demands he be an impact player, I'm not so sure he is, nor has TE been a premium position in our offense (maybe that changes with Dorsey).  My whole point is that we shouldn't overly spend on TE, which is being inflated by some elite receivers at the position, unless the TE is in fact elite.  I don't think that's Knox but hope he proves me wrong and develops further. 

Not likely - he is considered one of the best TEs and if available would be looking at Near the top of the TE range money.  It happens all the time that next guy up gets paid - look at the WR market.  Many guys got paid that are mid level production, but we’re free where you are bidding against 32 teams.

We just signed him for exactly what he is worth right now - just as we did with Josh.  The next group of TEs will not be as good as Dawson, but will get paid more because they are FA.  

The Bills just got ahead of the curve - just like they did with Josh.  They see where the market is going with the Ne signing last year and Browns this year and they signed him to an equal deal to ensure that next year they do not get priced out by the 15-20% increase we will see with TEs that reach FA.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I want to know why you think his touchdowns are going to regress they have already said in the off-season that the tight end is going to get use more in this offense do you even pay attention

Wow did you even watch the games last year?  Several gimmicky (Josh Allen pitches near the goal line) and fluke (see broken coverage in long touchdown in KC game) touchdowns for Knox last year.  You are a fool if you think that will happen again year over year.  His touchdown production was far better than his catches/yards production... all signs point towards a regression in touchdowns.  Now his overall usage better increase, and he better continue to improve, or the Bills just made a terrible, terrible decision in singing Knox prior to resigning Oliver.  Like I said, I can live the with that gamble, but Dawson Knox has not shown to be an elite player yet, that's a fact. 

• Eyeroll 2

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Several gimmicky (Josh Allen pitches near the goal line) and fluke (see broken coverage in long touchdown in KC game) touchdowns for Knox last year.  

Man, I hate those gimmicky TDs.  One is bad enough but several...  Can’t stand it.  Vanilla TDs are worth 7 gimmicky TDs.  And don’t get me started on all those flukes. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

but Dawson Knox has not shown to be an elite player yet, that's a fact. 

and he isn't paid elite TE money. he isn't making kittle or kelce money, he's in Jonnu smith range which I can live with.

7 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

several gimmicky (Josh Allen pitches near the goal line) and fluke (see broken coverage in long touchdown in KC game) touchdowns for Knox last year.

those still count right?

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Not likely - he is considered one of the best TEs and if available would be looking at Near the top of the TE range money.  It happens all the time that next guy up gets paid - look at the WR market.  Many guys got paid that are mid level production, but we’re free where you are bidding against 32 teams.

We just signed him for exactly what he is worth right now - just as we did with Josh.  The next group of TEs will not be as good as Dawson, but will get paid more because they are FA.  

The Bills just got ahead of the curve - just like they did with Josh.  They see where the market is going with the Ne signing last year and Browns this year and they signed him to an equal deal to ensure that next year they do not get priced out by the 15-20% increase we will see with TEs that reach FA.

Considered one of the best TE's?? By who, us delusional bills fans?? And we just paid him near the top of the TE range! He is good, but he is not on the same level as Andrews/Kelce/Kittle, nor is has he shown the elite receiver skills of Pitts, Waller. Maybe he develops further, everyone here wants that (and appears the Bills are banking on that).  I just think it's a risky bet at the expense of not resinging an impact player on defense.  He has not shown he can be elite yet, Josh did and is a quarterback.  Comparing these two signing is laughable. 

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Like I said, I can live the with that gamble, but Dawson Knox has not shown to be an elite player yet, that's a fact. 

That's not a fact, that's an opinion. And one I disagree with.

On a loaded offense with a co-ordinator that often eschews the TE position, he still managed to maximize nearly every opportunity he was given. He also reached an elite level of consistency and reliability that he didn't previously have. In addition to that he also made a huge leap in his role as a blocker and again found a level of consistency that he hadn't previously had. He's also became a clear leader in the locker room and on the field as well. When Josh Allen starts looking for you whne he's in trouble, that speaks volumes about the kind of player you are.

He's got a great set of tools and has worked his ass off to maximize every one of them; at this point there are very few TE's I'd even consider trading him for.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Considered one of the best TE's?? By who, us delusional bills fans?? And we just paid him near the top of the TE range! He is good, but he is not on the same level as Andrews/Kelce/Kittle, nor is has he shown the elite receiver skills of Pitts, Waller. Maybe he develops further, everyone here wants that (and appears the Bills are banking on that).  I just think it's a risky bet at the expense of not resinging an impact player on defense.  He has not shown he can be elite yet, Josh did and is a quarterback.  Comparing these two signing is laughable. 

You seem pretty butt hurt about this signing.  Why do you care what the Bills are paying him?  Knox is a very good tight end and those are hard to find.  When you find one, you pay one.  In a year that money wont even be top 10.

50 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

That's how long it took to groom Knox, one of the least polished and raw TE prospects in recent memory.  A more polished TE like Notre Dame's Michael Mayer (this is just an example) may be ready in a year or less to do what Knox did last year.  We could debate the pro-readiness of every eligible TE and maybe its safer to say replace in year or two by grooming an early round draft pick and sign a solid FA signing in the meantime, but my point still stands.  

You’re right we don’t have to go over every eligible TE cause rookie TEs don’t produce. 4 this century with better production than Dawson last year. 2 of them drafted in the top half The first round (so not available). You say he hasn’t proven he elite. You can’t replace his production with any early draft choice as you say

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You seem pretty butt hurt about this signing.  Why do you care what the Bills are paying him?  Knox is a very good tight end and those are hard to find.  When you find one, you pay one.  In a year that money wont even be top 10.

Why do I care what Bills are paying?? Because the Bills, like every other team are subject to a salary cap and this signing has implications on others who need signing and make more of an impact to our team IMO. I'm looking a couple years ahead at Bills ability to keep one of the best rosters for years and not just be like Green Bay with a QB and nothing else. How would you not care about that? Like I've said repeatedly,  hope I'm wrong and Knox becomes an elite player, I just think its a reach, and if it ends up meaning we don't sign Oliver, I bet you I'm not the only one who ends up upset about it. 

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's not a fact, that's an opinion. And one I disagree with.

On a loaded offense with a co-ordinator that often eschews the TE position, he still managed to maximize nearly every opportunity he was given. He also reached an elite level of consistency and reliability that he didn't previously have. In addition to that he also made a huge leap in his role as a blocker and again found a level of consistency that he hadn't previously had. He's also became a clear leader in the locker room and on the field as well. When Josh Allen starts looking for you whne he's in trouble, that speaks volumes about the kind of player you are.

He's got a great set of tools and has worked his ass off to maximize every one of them; at this point there are very few TE's I'd even consider trading him for.

Fair it is an opinion. But saying Knox is elite right now is a pretty wild take, in my opinion.  Hope I'm wrong and you're right.  Thanks for your hard work as mod, go bills!

3 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

I just think its a reach, and if it ends up meaning we don't sign Oliver, I bet you I'm not the only one who ends up upset about it. 

I don’t think Knox’s contract will have any bearing on the Bills’ ability to sign Oliver. If the Bills decide they want Ed long term, they will make it happen unless Ed decides to price himself beyond what the Bills feel he’s worth. 

Beane has considered Oliver’s, and many other upcoming signings, before offering Knox this contract. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yes, it should come as no surprise to anyone that this will be Tremaine's last season in Buffalo. Super happy for Dawson and the Bills. Now as so many have accurately stated, let's get Ed signed. 

Well yeah but I was still kinda holding out hope they would get something done. I don’t hate Maine as much as a lot of other people here do. They could still end up tagging him 

9 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Fair it is an opinion. But saying Knox is elite right now is a pretty wild take, in my opinion.  Hope I'm wrong and you're right.  Thanks for your hard work as mod, go bills!

I guess it comes down to what you consider elite. Is the 5th best TE in the league elite? The 10th best?

My understanding is that he is currently going to be somewhere around the 5th highest paid TE in the NFL, and next year he is going to end up somewhere closer to 10th highest paid. I think that slots in pretty well with where he sits in the NFL's TE hierarchy and it could be an absolute steal by next year or the year after.

I 100% agree that if that contract ended up costing them Ed Oliver, I'd be really pissed off. I just think there is a 0% chance of that being the case.

'Preciate the 'preciate. 🤙

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1