Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

I'd rather pay Knox 13.5 a year as a guy who fits the mold of the offense and is well liked compared to Logan Thomas/Uzomah/Ertz who are all making 8-10 a year.  Knox is young, a strong blocker, serious red zone threat, and runs inside drag routes extremely well.  It exploits linebackers and gives us serious advantage.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

I'd rather pay Knox 13.5 a year as a guy who fits the mold of the offense and is well liked compared to Logan Thomas/Uzomah/Ertz who are all making 8-10 a year.  Knox is young, a strong blocker, serious red zone threat, and runs inside drag routes extremely well.  It exploits linebackers and gives us serious advantage.

Knox also takes the top off the D, and plays the outside receiver role that we supposedly lack. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

The only thing I don't like about the deal is the length, same with Josh.  If you have a guy in his early-mid 20s and you believe in him, I'd rather see 6-7+ year deals rather than the shorter ones the Bills are doing.

Most players and their agents dont want to sign deals that long. And neither do teams. Things happen. Injuries, etc. Plus players want to cash in on the ever inflating cap. 4-5 years is the sweet spot for contracts. Especially for extensions which are technically a year longer considering the existing deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, T master said:

I have always thought Edmunds has played out of his natural position which was what he played in college OLB but because of his size they put him at MLB which he has done a good job at but i think he might have made a bigger impact out side . 

But as it's been said he must see the writing on the wall he is making good money this season but Poyer & Edmunds must know they will probably not get the money they are looking for in B/Lo & have to move on which sucks that we can't keep them all .

That being said i feel they see others that can take their place moving forward like they did with Harry & others .

My feeling is that Ed Oliver is pretty much a lock for an extension.  His impact goes far beyond the stat sheet, and the coaches see that.  I think he's poised for a huge breakout playing next to Von Miller.  If he starts hot, I don't think they will wait until the offseason to lock him up.

Tremaine Edmunds is probably a 50-50 split.  The coaches definitely value him much higher than the fans.  But do they see him as irreplaceable?  And what can he fetch on the open market?  If he finally explodes this year, he may price himself out of our range.

I hate to say it, but Jordan Poyer is most likely a goner.  I think the Bills would be willing to extend him 1-2 more seasons with a decent pay raise.  But I get the feeling he wants 3-4 years at top safety money.  At his age, he just seems like the odd-man-out.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, T master said:

I have always thought Edmunds has played out of his natural position which was what he played in college OLB but because of his size they put him at MLB which he has done a good job at but i think he might have made a bigger impact out side . 

But as it's been said he must see the writing on the wall he is making good money this season but Poyer & Edmunds must know they will probably not get the money they are looking for in B/Lo & have to move on which sucks that we can't keep them all .

That being said i feel they see others that can take their place moving forward like they did with Harry & others .

I think it’s weird to call Edmunds a MLB even if that’s his official position.   The Bills typically only play 2 LBs so neither is in the middle.   And Edmunds doesn’t play the old run-plugging, halfback-destroying Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus MLB role.   Edmunds is not as physical but he’s more agile and better in coverage.

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

My feeling is that Ed Oliver is pretty much a lock for an extension.  His impact goes far beyond the stat sheet, and the coaches see that.  I think he's poised for a huge breakout playing next to Von Miller.  If he starts hot, I don't think they will wait until the offseason to lock him up.

Tremaine Edmunds is probably a 50-50 split.  The coaches definitely value him much higher than the fans.  But do they see him as irreplaceable?  And what can he fetch on the open market?  If he finally explodes this year, he may price himself out of our range.

I hate to say it, but Jordan Poyer is most likely a goner.  I think the Bills would be willing to extend him 1-2 more seasons with a decent pay raise.  But I get the feeling he wants 3-4 years at top safety money.  At his age, he just seems like the odd-man-out.

I agree about Poyer.  Rosenhaus explicitly put it out that he wanted a new contract to "retire a Bill".  He's 31 1/2.  A lot of top safeties sign 4 year contracts, but there's only one who signed a top-10 contract at age 32, Harrison Smith.  Next up Quandre Diggs at age 29.

I don't think Rosenhaus comes to Bills camp for F2F meetings with Beane if the Bills side had no interest in getting a deal done, and the Bills are typically pretty fair on market value.  So it seems like a good guess that the Bills were willing to make an offer, and contract length/guarantees may have been an issue.

I know the Bills like Jaquan Johnson, but he just doesn't seem like the thumper that Poyer can be. 

6 hours ago, T master said:

The bills are in nickel close to 70% of the time 

both backers ARE plying inside LBr responsibilities 

putting him at OLB on very few snaps isn’t changing anything … especially since he’s not a good blitzer 

On 9/7/2022 at 1:58 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

He's 25, getting better and just came off a year where he lead the league in TD's.  They aren't signing this guy to that if he didn't make an impact or don't expect him to keep making a difference.  In 2 years, he will barely be a top 10 paid tight end.  

Was it a mistake the 49ers to pay Deebo Samuel when he only had 77 receptions?  It seems that's the only stat that matters with you.

Something I always see a lot of numbers people and stat-heads yap about is quantity... how many receptions for how many yards, etc. etc. They oughta mention quality as well. Some dudes end up with 100 receptions a year and 50 of them are five yard little dump-offs behind the line. Some guys might only have 65 receptions but like 10 of them went for TDs, 28 went for first downs, etc. I feel like that sometimes gets overlooked.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Definitely, I just honestly figured they would wait a year to see how he done this year. But hey if they have seen enough, I trust them.

I think a lot of it has to with his work ethic and consistently improving each year. He just feels like a ‘Buffalo’ guy to me whatever that means. He’s easy to root for and we haven’t had a good TE in decades!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Something I always see a lot of numbers people and stat-heads yap about is quantity... how many receptions for how many yards, etc. etc. They oughta mention quality as well. Some dudes end up with 100 receptions a year and 50 of them are five yard little dump-offs behind the line. Some guys might only have 65 receptions but like 10 of them went for TDs, 28 went for first downs, etc. I feel like that sometimes gets overlooked.

Context Baby.
 Dawson became quite the player last season. With making high value plays and serous blocking in that same category ( red zone) but i have the senilities lol
 I expect the trend to continue upward. especially with Rbs coming out of the back filed more under Dorsey ?

He had like 15 receptions in college and was a QB.

He changed his game and had only gotten better every year. I like his trajectory for only playing TE for 4 years. 

Think about if allen went to a big school and had all the coaching and help that other qb's had as teens. He'd be in Cleveland right now.