Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, julian said:

I’m not a professional poster and that’s being kind, but is this sarcasm or do you honestly not believe Josh Allen doesn’t have a massive say in offensive signings ?

His interview that just aired on Jordan palmers podcast he referenced his relationship with Bean as the best QB/GM relationship in the league and how thankful he is to management for how he’s involved with the process.

No, I’m not being sarcastic at all. I knew that Josh Carrie’s some weight, as in the Dorsey endorsement, but I never saw or heard about the Knox situation specifically. I was just wondering if there was an actual article or interview where Josh or anyone else directly stated that. If not that’s cool. Hey, I just blasted Florio for taking the Colts over the Bills in the play offs. This team/franchise is like family to me so I want to know everything I can about them and who is saying what. Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

Greg Tompsett from Cover 1 was on Locked On Bills last week and said that Beane and the front office have structured a lot of these contracts with a lot of forward thinking to the point where he could easily maneuver the cap to create another $40-50 million in cap space after this season. Very happy Knox got paid and based on what GT said, there should be no issues with re-signing Ed Oliver and extending Gabe Davis when needed.

We won't be a team that has much 'organic' cap space each year due to the QB contract and overall talent on our roster, but basically Josh Allen and others can restructure their contracts several times over to create space when we need it. What a time we're living in. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Considered one of the best TE's?? By who, us delusional bills fans?? And we just paid him near the top of the TE range! He is good, but he is not on the same level as Andrews/Kelce/Kittle, nor is has he shown the elite receiver skills of Pitts, Waller. Maybe he develops further, everyone here wants that (and appears the Bills are banking on that).  I just think it's a risky bet at the expense of not resinging an impact player on defense.  He has not shown he can be elite yet, Josh did and is a quarterback.  Comparing these two signing is laughable. 

We are still upset about his 1st two years and all the drops aren't we  :)

Edited by 3rdand12

2 hours ago, FLFan said:

Do you seriously not understand this in relation to Buffalos’ offense and the fact that have had three excellent wide receivers getting the bulk of targets?  

Then why pay top 5 TE money for a player that is the 4th option of an offense?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ga boy said:

Agree.  I wish there were stats for stiff arming, pancaking, steamrolling, and stomping.  Go Bills 🦬🏈

Oh my I forgot to add stampeding.  That would be a good stat.  Don Meredith. Did you see Knox stampede that corner?!?!!

Wow did you even watch the games last year?  Several gimmicky (Josh Allen pitches near the goal line) and fluke (see broken coverage in long touchdown in KC game) touchdowns for Knox last year.  You are a fool if you think that will happen again year over year.  His touchdown production was far better than his catches/yards production... all signs point towards a regression in touchdowns.  Now his overall usage better increase, and he better continue to improve, or the Bills just made a terrible, terrible decision in singing Knox prior to resigning Oliver.  Like I said, I can live the with that gamble, but Dawson Knox has not shown to be an elite player yet, that's a fact. 

Josh is the ultimate sandlot football player and Knox is going to be a safety outlet.....yes it is not crazy to think it would happen again this year.

Its ok after this year Knox will show he is worth the contract....and nobody will remember that you said this

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

In terms of being a team/culture captain that has done EVERYTHING right…. I feel bad for him too.  He wants to be here and wants to be what he’s worth.  Beane has shown that he rewards those that deserve it.  Poyer deserves it….but it’s unfortunately a numbers game.  There are too many players that have bought in, done the work and deserve the pay day…. Or just so happens that they are younger than Poyer.  

We’ve yet to see the McD/Frazier D without the Poyer/Hyde pairing for an extended period of time.  I think they’ve been the driving force behind our D’s success.  We know it wasn’t the pass rush or run d leading the way all these years. 

I think of them as a safety net back there. They so rarely make a mistake (I know, it’s happens so you don’t need to remind me) that it gives me a level of comfort. 

But age is age, and dollars are dollars.  They have to find a way to make it all work, even if it might be at the expense of some older guys. I’m pretty confident they can find and develop replacement DB’s if need be.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Then why pay top 5 TE money for a player that is the 4th option of an offense?

Because in certain games you can take advantage of the mismatch he creates. Covering a 4th (or 5th) serious threat stretches a defense thin. 

I think you are confusing stats with value. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Josh is the ultimate sandlot football player and Knox is going to be a safety outlet.....yes it is not crazy to think it would happen again this year.

Its ok after this year Knox will show he is worth the contract....and nobody will remember that you said this

Fair, "fool" is too harsh.  "Unlikely" is what I should have said.  And I truly hope you are right about him being worth the contract I will gladly come back to this thread and take the L. 

53 minutes ago, Simon said:

I guess it comes down to what you consider elite. Is the 5th best TE in the league elite? The 10th best?

My understanding is that he is currently going to be somewhere around the 5th highest paid TE in the NFL, and next year he is going to end up somewhere closer to 10th highest paid. I think that slots in pretty well with where he sits in the NFL's TE hierarchy and it could be an absolute steal by next year or the year after.

I 100% agree that if that contract ended up costing them Ed Oliver, I'd be really pissed off. I just think there is a 0% chance of that being the case.

'Preciate the 'preciate. 🤙

This is a good question.  In my mind, there are really only three elite TEs right now,  (Kelce, Andrews, Kittle) and Pitts may approach that but is too raw overall right now to say elite, Waller was close but fell off due to injury.  Maybe Knox will be there after this year, but I see a pretty large gap and hoped his salary would have reflected that.  That may have been an unrealistic expectation given where the market is going but was just thinking that if we signed him now it would be at a bit of hometown discount (say 10-11 mill year avg or so).  I don't care what other bad decision the browns/pats/others made at TE, paying close to elite money for a TE that isn't in that realm is a tough pill to swallow.  He doesn't quite have that length you want for elite upside either. With that said, I can live with this and give Beane the benefit of the doubt (he's earned it) but Knox better take that next step to be a consistent, impact player for us. Similar touchdowns, and significantly more more catches/yards, blocking continues to improve, continue to eliminate drops etc. Fingers crossed! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Airseven said:

Poyer is gone. Slight chance of a franchise tag next year for Edmunds/Oliver. Better chance of the first decent comp pick in eons.

Bills picked up Oliver's 5th year option.   So he is locked up through 2023.  Guaranteed @ $10.7 mil for 2023 season.    The could negotiate long term deal in the off seaon.

This is a good question.  In my mind, there are really only three elite TEs right now,  (Kelce, Andrews, Kittle) and Pitts may approach that but is too raw overall right now to say elite, Waller was close but fell off due to injury.  Maybe Knox will be there after this year, but I see a pretty large gap and hoped his salary would have reflected that.  That may have been an unrealistic expectation given where the market is going but was just thinking that if we signed him now it would be at a bit of hometown discount (say 10-11 mill year avg or so).  I don't care what other bad decision the browns/pats/others made at TE, paying close to elite money for a TE that isn't in that realm is a tough pill to swallow.  He doesn't quite have that length you want for elite upside either. With that said, I can live with this and give Beane the benefit of the doubt (he's earned it) but Knox better take that next step to be a consistent, impact player for us. Similar touchdowns, and significantly more more catches/yards, blocking continues to improve, continue to eliminate drops etc. Fingers crossed! 

As somebody else pointed out (I wish I could remember who to give them credit), this is an extension.  It’s added to the last year of his rookie deal, and if you do the math it looks more like $11 Mil/year. I’m good with that 100%. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, FLFan said:

Excellent post.  Hit the nail on the head. Stats only tell part of the story here.  Knox has improved each year and is poised to take another step.  It takes time to grow a tight end.  TEs that are ready to play and contribute out of college are a rare commodity. Knox is there now and the Bills do not want to start over.  He plays a critical role on the team and will likely see an even bigger role going forward.  This contract will look like a bargain in two years.

These are really good points.  I would add the lack of a proven backup to Knox as another reason to re-sign Knox.