Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

To those who are somehow complaining about this contract and saying "we could just get [X player]"

How old were you the last time the Bills had a Tight End as good as Dawson Knox?

It aint easy signing 25 year old, talented Tight Ends in the open market. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Technically true, but when we win the SB this year and Gabe has a breakout year, he will want a new contract this offseason. And he isnt wrong to do so. Better to plan on it and be ready. (But I dont have the same amount of worry about any of it that the poster you were responding to does. Beane will get if done)

Sign me up for this "problem."

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His salary is between David Njoku (on the high side) and Jonnu Smith/Hunter Henry on the lower side.

Dawson Knox is as good or better than all of them.

Kelce's contract has nothing to do with anything.  It's a completely different set of circumstances.

Knox is getting paid "today" right where he should be in comparison.

I won't argue that he's at least as good if not better than those players, but other teams overspending on mediocre TE's should not have an outsized impact on our approach. It's a weird time for TE's because you have some top 10 talents playing on rookie deals. Meanwhile you have guys like Ertz and Waller who are better than Knox and making significantly less money.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Rigotz said:

To those who are somehow complaining about this contract and saying "we could just get [X player]"

How old were you the last time the Bills had a Tight End as good as Dawson Knox?

It aint easy signing 25 year old, talented Tight Ends in the open market. 

QB makes all WRs and TEs look better. I would have invested into a different area myself but Beane has shown he knows what he is doing so I'll trust him to believe Knox was the valuable. To put it this way: Kittle is making like a million more a year and is better at receiving and blocking than Knox. You hope Knox can become the player Kittle is now (maybe not as injury prone though)

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Probably worth noting that Kelce is getting paid $1M more per year at age 32 and his contract grows to $18M per year by age 36.

Dawson Knox is 25 years old.

Something to consider before you go reach for the tissues, BullBuchanan.

Their respective ages don't interest me. Their talent and production does. After all, Tremaine Edmunds is still only 18 years old.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Eyeroll 2

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I won't argue that he's at least as good if not better than those players, but other teams overspending on mediocre TE's should not have an outsized impact on our approach. It's a weird time for TE's because you have some top 10 talents playing on rookie deals. Meanwhile you have guys like Ertz and Waller who are better than Knox and making significantly less money.

Waller signed his first extension in 2019.  He's going to get a massive extension soon.

Zach Ertz is 32 years old.

In a year or two, Knox will barely be a top 10 paid Tight End.  

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Their respective ages don't interest me. Their talent and production does. After all, Tremaine Edmunds is still only 18 years old.

This is just silly.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Waller signed his first extension in 2019.  He's going to get a massive extension soon.

Zach Ertz is 32 years old.

In a year or two, Knox will barely be a top 10 paid Tight End.  

But he is now. Of course the relative value of contracts changes over the years. Not arguing that. They are still paying the maximum right now though. There's no point in re-signing your own players or being a good team with a chance at a ring if you're just going to pay the same amount as a bad team team would for the same player on the open market.

Good player, bad value.

1 minute ago, MPL said:

Shaq Lawson is my favorite name because it combines the names of two of my all-time favorite people—Shaquille O'Neal and Myself. 

Your parents named you Uille?

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Wow trotting out the ole Edmunds joke, so original. Don't give up your day job!

All your points are incorrect. This was a great move by the FO. And they have the other necessary moves already lined up.

• Haha (+1) 1

I think it might have been Andrews who got the same kind of "we think you can be elite, now go prove us right" contract, and saw his targets double right away.  I think Knox could be like a 900 yard, 12 TD guy even with all our other weapons.  I could see Dorsey leaning on him more.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:
2 hours ago, MPL said:

I like this move. Now I just need to get my wife on board with naming our first born son Dawson Lawson 😂

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

If not can always go 2nd option Shaq

No love for Manny?!?

Depends... Is Dawson Josh Allen Manny Shaq Lawson too long of a name?

My gut says it's fine so long as we never build a well...

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:
3 minutes ago, MPL said:

Shaq Lawson is my favorite name because it combines the names of two of my all-time favorite people—Shaquille O'Neal and Myself. 

Your parents named you Uille?

Yeah. They went to a lot of Grateful Dead concerts.

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Based on what?

- 18th in TE receptions

- 15th in TE yards

- 22nd in TE yards per reception

Only stat he is one of the best is tight end TD's.

12th in YPG (he missed several games with his broken hand) and 1st in TDs per game. As others have said he is still ascending, so they are paying him for his potential more than his production. But the TD number alone is enough for me to be happy with this deal. Always pay the guys that put points on the board. You can't go wrong with that strategy.

I think it was a great decision!  It’s still fair, he’s happy, not the highest paid TE, and TE extensions are not as expensive as WRs.

TEs are harder to find except maybe QBs.  We have our key QB, edge rushers, DTs, Secondary, and sideline to sideline LB in Milano.  We have our #1 WR, so this is great news.  

I won’t even respond to we could’ve got this guy or that guy.  Our TE had 9 TDs last year.

Now kicks the crap out of the sheep tomorrow.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Good player, bad value.

Outside of Josh Allen he is our best red zone weapon, by a lot. Last year he scored more TDs than any TE despite missing a couple games, not to mention two TDs in the playoffs.  Yards are important but TDs win games. You're overlooking that.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Everything you posted has truth to it, but everything also has to have context taken into account.

Ertz was traded and then extended.  He's on the wrong side of 30 and his trade cost has to be added to his dollar cost.

The Bills could of (and may have) went after him last year and chose not to.  Beane is betting he is right to stick with Knox.

In the long run the added cost of some teams "overspending" just is the nature of the beast.  The GMs of the league have to live with the

cost of an elite WR being $30M this year and only going to rise.  Bills fans are worried about the cost of Davis in 2 years.  None of us will

know what that will be.  It happens up and down the roster at all positions.

Knox was drafted, developed and re-signed and is now going into his 4th year a well-respected teammate by the organization and the city.

For me it's one of those "I don't know if it's true, but I believe it" when I say Josh Allen would rather have Dawson Knox over Ertz.

He's a fan favorite and we all know @muppywill go to bed with a smile on her face!  LOL, that's a part of being a fan of a football team too.

To be honest I was hoping Knox would sign for a $1M or so less, but it won't sway me in saying it's a good deal for the team.

I'm happy for Dawson and happy he will be a Buffalo Bills for the long-term.  I also believe Dawson hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

We'll all see how he plays tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

But he is now. Of course the relative value of contracts changes over the years. Not arguing that. They are still paying the maximum right now though. There's no point in re-signing your own players or being a good team with a chance at a ring if you're just going to pay the same amount as a bad team team would for the same player on the open market.

As pointed out before, Knox is making between Jonu Smith, Hunter Henry and David Njoku after coming off a season where he lead the league in touchdowns for tight ends.

So a bad team would pay Knox more or something?  

The Bills see Knox as an appreciating value and paid him 6th most at his position lol.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1