Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

Shout out to the Pegulas.

It pains me to ever compliment billionaires because they are dregs on society but it's certainly refreshing that we have an owner who is willing to allow his General Manager to spend as much as he's possibly able to within the rules without micromanaging.

Bills fans don't mention this enough. Paying players while Ralph Wilson was owner was like pulling teeth.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I'm not a big fan of giving players contracts that are nearly half a decade long and at top money, for the possibility that the new OC that has never called plays before might incorporate that player more.

You don't appear to be a fan of much on these boards so at least you're consistent.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

So basically right in line with Tyreek Hills $ amount per reception.

Yeah that was a bad deal too. Especially given their QB.

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

You don't appear to be a fan of much on these boards so at least you're consistent.

Just talking Bills football. Not really sure what you mean by the boards.

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026
5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The tweet mentions that the deal is expected to put him in the top 5 of TE's. We know what the top 5 makes.

Based on what?

- 18th in TE receptions

- 15th in TE yards

- 22nd in TE yards per reception

Only stat he is one of the best is tight end TD's.

A) I watch the football games, and…..

B) Points matter. A LOT! 

We have weapons ahead of him, but he’s going to be an important piece of the puzzle. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not a player I would have committed to.  I still think its him or Gabe.  Looks like Buffalo valued Knox more.

We shall see, but my guess, he never lives up to contract.

Knox makes a lot of sense to me.   

I think the model McBeane are following is to have a half-dozen, solid leaders.   They change of course, but it's a half dozen solid veterans.

Look at the captains.   Josh, Diggs, Hyde, Miller, Morse, Edmunds, and Poyer.   Miller replace Hughes, who was a leader last year but on the bubble.  Edmunds and Poyer are on the bubble this year.   Oliver needs to prove he can make it up to that level.  White certainly will be on that list when he returns.

Below those guys, you want a lot of solid guys in mid-career, guys who will be serious contributors but who may very well get replaced after their second contract.   That's probably Poyer.  And it's also probably Knox.   He's very good and probably will get better over the next year or two, but he may never grow into a senior leadership position.   If he becomes Kelce, okay, he becomes a captain and he stays.  Otherwise, he's in Buffalo as a big contributor, and in the next couple of seasons the Bills begin looking for his replacement, just like they've been grooming Johnson as Poyer's replacement.  In the meantime, he's a solid contributor to the Bills success, so they pay him nicely.  

The third tier of guys are on their rookie deals or one- or two-year vet deals.  They like being on the team because they can be on a winner, and the young guys know that they can work their way into tier two.   And they know they can work their way all the way to tier one, the captains.   A guy like Benford knows today that the path is open for him to be in the new generation of leaders .behind White and Hyde.  

And it's not really about whether Knox is actually a top-five tight end.   Maybe he's only top-10.  Maybe the Bills had to overpay in a small sense.   The Bills don't mind - it's absolutely essential to McBeane that they have top-tier veteran leadership (Allen, Diggs, Morse, Miller, Hyde, White) and that they have a half-dozen or more second-tier guys, like Knox, Taron Johnson, etc.   So, for example, Bills may have overpaid for Star, and it didn't work out.  They may have overpaid for Morse, and it did.   You can't hit on every one, but I think that's the model.   Knox fits perfectly in their second tier.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Knox is good and getting better, but still has significant weaknesses and is not near the difference maker of Kelce/Andrews/Pitts etc. I just don't see the value there for the Bills.

FWIW, 2021 Top 15 TE Rankings per Football Outsiders:

Knox is 8th

60387448_2021FOTERankings.thumb.jpg.3115ccb3a0f089525dd66753096c6272.jpg

DYAR means a tight end with more total value

DVOA means a tight end with more value per play

Effective Yards (EYds) translate DVOA into a yards per attempt figure

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

🤦‍♂️He’s ALREADY a Top 5 TE! Jesus!😡

Yes, you are the ONLY one. Congrats.

I didn't think a deal was going to be made this season.  Looking into the TE market it's probably good that Beane got it done now.

Both Mike Gesicki and Dalton Schultz are playing on tags and TJ Hockenson and Noah Fant were drafted with Knox and have

contracts coming up.

Knox's contract will drop out of top 5 and be close to bottom of top 10 real soon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

And will buy a very nice house in OP, which he apparently purchased one back in December. That tells me he knew what to expect, and the FO came thru as promised. Love that! 

That's an interesting point, that the level of trust between player and management is such that both sides knew in December that Knox would be back, and that it was just a matter of time before the deal got done.   That means his agent told Beane back then what the ball park would be, and Beane told Knox that they'd be in that ball park.  

That's a very solid way to run an organization.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Shout out to the Pegulas.

It pains me to ever compliment billionaires because they are dregs on society but it's certainly refreshing that we have an owner who is willing to allow his General Manager to spend as much as he's possibly able to within the rules without micromanaging.

Bills fans don't mention this enough. Paying players while Ralph Wilson was owner was like pulling teeth.

Seriously? Think of all the good billionaires have done throughout our history. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3