Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Process said:

If Davis has a big year, he could be a trade candidate next year. Two receivers and a TE making top money? If anyone can make it work, it's Beane. 

Will worry about it after winning the SB. 

RIght? Talk about a great problem to have.  

Awesome news for Knox and well deserved.   On another note...I've said this before, but I believe these extensions,  plus the Edmunds extension, which is happening imo, are separate from each other.  I know a lot of you are disappointed that a pro bowl, 4x captain will be staying, but...

Edited by Dablitzkrieg
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

$13-14M is totally affordable. Amazon and Apple money hasnt even kicked in yet.

And will buy a very nice house in OP, which he apparently purchased one back in December. That tells me he knew what to expect, and the FO came thru as promised. Love that! 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not a player I would have committed to.  I still think its him or Gabe.  Looks like Buffalo valued Knox more.

We shall see, but my guess, he never lives up to contract.

🤦‍♂️He’s ALREADY a Top 5 TE! Jesus!😡

8 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Am I the only one not super excited about paying Knox top 5 TE money?  The market has already been inflated this offseason with Njoku signing and others. Knox is good and getting better, but still has significant weaknesses and is not near the difference maker of Kelce/Andrews/Pitts etc. I just don't see the value there for the Bills. If he gave us a good deal, sure lock him up, but not for top 5 TE money.  I guess I'll wait to see all the contract details but Would have rather locked up Oliver long term and Poyer short term.  I feel like we could have replaced Knox with an early round draft pick if needed.

Yes, you are the ONLY one. Congrats.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Alot of non bills fans will poke fun at this amount of money but I think it's without question worth it. He's arguably one of if not the most physically gifted TE in the nfl, has only shown improvement every year. Proved he's a red zone monster already. Super young, young TEs rarely find success. Has built chemistry with Allen. You also make Allen happy with the front office, spending money on weapons for him. Not to mention our options to replace him would be the draft, the bust rate on TEs in the draft is scary, or kick the tires and over pay on an old FA.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

First, they haven't announced the money yet. 

The tweet mentions that the deal is expected to put him in the top 5 of TE's. We know what the top 5 makes.

1 minute ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Secondly, he is one of the best

Based on what?

- 18th in TE receptions

- 15th in TE yards

- 22nd in TE yards per reception

Only stat he is one of the best is tight end TD's.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Players are locked into extensions for their potential more than anything and his is elite when you look at his skill set, chemistry with Allen, and how he has developed at the position. He came in to the league very raw and this shows he is going to have a much bigger role going forward now that he’s proven he can produce. 

I don't disagree that he has the potential to improve further I just don't see Knox as ever being an elite player (he certainly isn't close now). He is not the blocker that Kelce, Andrews and Kittle and will never be able to offer that all round TE package at an elite level.  Even with the improvement in dropped balls, he will never be a Pitts or Waller as a receiver.  If Allen wasn't his qb, he's probably an average starter on another team. I just don't see his ceiling as elite, and for top 5 TE money with the now inflated TE market, it better be.  Hope I'm wrong, but particularly if this comes at the expense of losing Oliver, count me as skeptical. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, CapeBreton said:

Glad they got in done now, he's probably going to have a big year. Would have been nice to get it done before the absurd Njoku contract though, stupid Cleveland definitely cost us some money.

Cleveland is busy throwing kerosene on their own dumpster fire. Hoping the rest of the league isn’t stupid enough to use them as comps, despite what the agents will attempt to do. Even Russell Wilson didn’t get fully guaranteed QB money in Denver. The Browns are the outlier, not the trend setter, I hope. 

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A lot of money for a guy who has never caught more than 49 passes in a season.

This will pay him close to $300,000 per reception (based on last season).

Did you ever stop to consider the possibility that Dorsey's offense could incorporate more TE concepts than Daboll's?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is such great news to start my day.

On the football side, I'm thrilled. Our key offensive players are all now locked in for the foreseeable future. Having a franchise quarterback obviously comes first, but after that, it's important to protect him with a quality left tackle, and give him a legitimate #1 WR and a matchup-dictating TE. Allen has those things now, and he'll have them for the next four years, at least.

Knox is sort of the Josh Allen of tight ends: incredibly physical traits and athleticism, lackluster college career. Like Allen, Knox was molded and coached up, and is now one of the best at his position in the league. Best of all, he's still ascending as a player. I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. 

On the personal side, this is awesome for Dawson and his family. Obviously, nothing can erase the pain of what recently happened with Luke Knox. But having this newfound financial security is certainly a nice thing.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ExWNYer said:

Did you ever stop to consider the possibility that Dorsey's offense could incorporate more TE concepts than Daboll's?

I'm not a big fan of giving players contracts that are nearly half a decade long and at top money, for the possibility that the new OC that has never called plays before might incorporate that player more.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A lot of money for a guy who has never caught more than 49 passes in a season.

This will pay him close to $300,000 per reception (based on last season).

So basically right in line with Tyreek Hills $ amount per reception.