Bills sign Dawson Knox to 4-year $53.6 mill extension ($31 mill gtd) through 2026

YoloinOhio

Am I the only one not super excited about paying Knox top 5 TE money?  The market has already been inflated this offseason with Njoku signing and others. Knox is good and getting better, but still has significant weaknesses and is not near the difference maker of Kelce/Andrews/Pitts etc. I just don't see the value there for the Bills. If he gave us a good deal, sure lock him up, but not for top 5 TE money.  I guess I'll wait to see all the contract details but Would have rather locked up Oliver long term and Poyer short term.  I feel like we could have replaced Knox with an early round draft pick if needed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 6
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Am I the only one not super excited about paying Knox top 5 TE money?  The market has already been inflated this offseason with Njoku signing and others. Knox is good and getting better, but still has significant weaknesses and is not near the difference maker of Kelce/Andrews/Pitts etc. I just don't see the value there for the Bills. If he gave us a good deal, sure lock him up, but not for top 5 TE money.  I guess I'll wait to see all the contract details but Would have rather locked up Oliver long term and Poyer short term.  I feel like we could have replaced Knox with an early round draft pick if needed.

Players are locked into extensions for their potential more than anything and his is elite when you look at his skill set, chemistry with Allen, and how he has developed at the position. He came in to the league very raw and this shows he is going to have a much bigger role going forward now that he’s proven he can produce. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Nice. I didn't think a deal would come quite yet but when I listened to his return presser after the tragedy of losing his brother, I honestly said, "There's no way this guy is going anywhere if the money is even close...he loves the organization and the community."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I decision on Gabe Davis does not need to be made until it's deadline of March 2024.

Knox decision was needed a year earlier.

Technically true, but when we win the SB this year and Gabe has a breakout year, he will want a new contract this offseason. And he isnt wrong to do so. Better to plan on it and be ready. (But I dont have the same amount of worry about any of it that the poster you were responding to does. Beane will get if done)

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

His target share is way, way lower than Kelce or Andrews. He was way more impactful than Pitts was last year (granted he was a rookie). 

This is a commitment to him getting a larger slice of the offense. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

A lot of money for a guy who has never caught more than 49 passes in a season.

This will pay him close to $300,000 per reception (based on last season).

First, they haven't announced the money yet.  Secondly, he is one of the best, and to keep him they have to pay market value.  Perhaps your issue should be the market value of tight ends....like Njoku. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Players are locked into extensions for their potential more than anything and his is elite when you look at his skill set, chemistry with Allen, and how he has developed at the position. He came in to the league very raw and this shows he is going to have a much bigger role going forward now that he’s proven he can produce. 

Yep. He's being paid based on his potential. Like NBA players.

It's a gamble.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Technically true, but when we win the SB this year and Gabe has a breakout year, he will want a new contract this offseason. And he isnt wrong to do so. Better to plan on it and be ready. (But I dont have the same amount of worry about any of it that the poster you were responding to does. Beane will get if done)

If Davis has a big year, he could be a trade candidate next year. Two receivers and a TE making top money? If anyone can make it work, it's Beane. 

Will worry about it after winning the SB. 

• Agree 1