Margaret Court Blasts Serena Williams

Gugny

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Margaret Court basically put Serena on full blast, saying (in so many words) that she (MC) had it a lot tougher and Serena took longer to accomplish what she has ... and that Serena doesn't give her any admiration or respect.  Other digs were thrown in, as well.

[52] He added that this and the similar incident from 2012[43] are calculated provocations, allowing Court to portray herself as the victim and use the publicity to her advantage, and show that "for better or worse, Court is now the principal architect of her own image".[52]

A close minded, bigoted, petty and narcissistic human being. I bet her dislike for Serena is more related to her skin color than any specific behavior or on-court achievement. I bet if a "nice, Christian, white, straight" woman said Court was great, it would draw immense praise from her 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

A close minded, bigoted, petty and narcissistic human being. I bet her dislike for Serena is more related to her skin color than any specific behavior or on-court achievement. I bet if a "nice, Christian, white, straight" woman said Court was great, it would draw immense praise from her 

Margaret Court in January 2020:

"But I always thought Steffi was the best. She was my favourite. She won the Grand Slam in 1988 (Australian, French, Wimbledon and US Open) and I always loved watching her because of her athleticism and style. She was one of the best athletes I had seen."

Court rated Serena Williams ... at No. 2, followed by Billie Jean King at No. 3, Martina Navratilova at No. 4, Chris Evert at No. 5, Monica Seles at No. 6, Evonne Goolagong Cawley at No. 7, Maria Bueno at No. 8, Justine Henin at No. 9 and Venus Williams at No. 10.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/83277/margaret-court-i-always-thought-steffi-graf-was-the-best-she-was-my-favourite/

6 hours ago, unbillievable said:

She was born in 1950; that's normal for her generation.

She was born earlier, 1942.

She's not even a Boomer, but Silent Generation... They were critical of the Boomers and counter-culture generation. Many sympathized (like my parents) but mostly never got caught up in it seeing they already came of age, had children young and other matters to tend to.  Their generation was categorized as "working within the system."

I am not defending her actions here, yet as a Silent I can see where she's at odds with the model the Williams' were raised in:

"The style of parenting known to the Silents and the generations before them originated in the late 1800s. Representative of this was the idea that "children should be seen but not heard". "

I am not sure I want to equate this to racism. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, K-9 said:

I submit that Court’s worldviews and tolerances have little to do with when she was born and more to do with her embrace of fundamentalist Christianity. 

Lol way to battle intolerance and sweeping generalizations with intolerance and sweeping generalizations.

4 hours ago, DrW said:

Margaret Court in January 2020:

"But I always thought Steffi was the best. She was my favourite. She won the Grand Slam in 1988 (Australian, French, Wimbledon and US Open) and I always loved watching her because of her athleticism and style. She was one of the best athletes I had seen."

Court rated Serena Williams ... at No. 2, followed by Billie Jean King at No. 3, Martina Navratilova at No. 4, Chris Evert at No. 5, Monica Seles at No. 6, Evonne Goolagong Cawley at No. 7, Maria Bueno at No. 8, Justine Henin at No. 9 and Venus Williams at No. 10.

https://www.tennisworldusa.org/tennis/news/Tennis_Stories/83277/margaret-court-i-always-thought-steffi-graf-was-the-best-she-was-my-favourite/

to be fair, those are defensible rankings. Steffi Graff was absolutely dominant for a long stretch. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

to be fair, those are defensible rankings. Steffi Graff was absolutely dominant for a long stretch. 

Yep. Those are fair rankings, for sure.  Steffi Graf has always been my favorite, but I do think it’s silly to place Serena Williams anywhere but number one.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yep. Those are fair rankings, for sure.  Steffi Graf has always been my favorite, but I do think it’s silly to place Serena Williams anywhere but number one.  

I will be devil’s advocate on Graff. She had 22 grand slam singles wins. Serena has only 1 more, but Graff retired at 30 years old. She started getting injured a bit more, but I would argue that she probably could have taken a long break to get healthy and gotten possibly another few titles. 

Not saying Graff is #1, but there is a very strong argument for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.