Ref's for the game are...

Just Jack

On 10/1/2022 at 11:37 AM, Nextmanup said:

LOL...this guy Boger, the head referee for the game, is a retired insurance underwriter.

What a perfect profile for being able to run around an NFL football field and make snap judgments with your eagle eyes and quick wits.

Plus he can delve into his decades of experience underwriting insurance policies to better ascertain if a borderline play should be a penalty or not, based on conventional player technique, the way he used to play the game, and so on.

This guy shouldn't be allowed anywhere NEAR a football field.

And then we wonder why officiating is horrid.

Because he worked in insurance?

34 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Week 5 - Steelers at Bills

1618480953_JohnHussey.thumb.JPG.90065e8b5d39f620e759dafe8d66a863.JPG

We had John Hussey, not once, not twice, but three times last year! One game was the opener against the Steelers, the other two were the last game of the year against the Jets (I wonder if that's something, doing our first and last games of the season) and the playoffs against the Chiefs...

Pittsburgh Steelers at Buffalo Bills - September 12th, 2021  L 23-16 Bills 8p/81yds, Steelers 5p/32yds

New York Jets at Buffalo Bills - January 9th, 2022 W 27-10 Bills 4p/40yds, Jets 4p/27yds

Divisional Round - Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs - January 23rd, 2022 L 42-36 Bills 3p/15yds, Chiefs 1p/10yds

Either the Bills got better at avoiding penalties, or John and crew just didn't care as the season went on. 

Some of both maybe.

The Bills were trying to operate with 4 and 5 WR sets and an empty backfield a lot.  Our OL was being terrorized.  I looked.  We had 5 offensive holding penalties on the OL.  If only he calls 'em equally for both sides, could be a good day for our DL, since they were getting mugged last week by the Ravens.

There were 2 DH and a DPI.  One of the DH was, I thought, ticky-tack and canceled a Tre White interception.  Elam needs to mind his P's and Q's.

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Bills were really sloppy and stupid in that Steelers game.  Those penalties were just them being stupid.

Not on the part of the OL.  They weren't sloppy, they weren't stupid, they were 5 desperate men.

Daboll got owned in the Battle of Wits with Kevin Butler.

Can't speak about the DH and DPI, may have been sloppy. remember being ticked about the DH on Tre White, I was like "where?" and it canceled a pick

Edited by Beck Water

On 9/7/2022 at 8:55 AM, No_Matter_What said:

I am still confused why their occupation isn't "NFL referee".

Money.

12 minutes ago, wjag said:

How does a middle school teacher find the time to travel and do NFL games and still get back to school on Monday morning?

He's very fast.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, wjag said:

How does a middle school teacher find the time to travel and do NFL games and still get back to school on Monday morning?

I was curious myself, found this article from 10 years ago.  They will fly out either Friday night or Saturday morning, then fly back on Monday.  But there's still other work to be done during the week.  

NFL Referees: A Week In The Life | Only A Game (wbur.org)

Week 6 - Bills at Chiefs

1771346390_BradAllen.thumb.JPG.8d709e8f96d82ef5abe7c9b7e40c4a31.JPG

We had Brad Allen and crew twice last season, at the New Orleans Saints on Thanksgiving, and the Wild Card round against the Pats*

Buffalo Bills at New Orleans Saints - November 25th, 2021 - W 31-6 Bills 4p/35yds, Saints 4p/24yds

Wild Card - New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills - January 15th, 2022 W 47-17 Bills 3p/47yds, Pats* 5p/34yds

They also did one Chiefs game last year

Las Vegas Raiders at Kansas City Chiefs - December 12th, 2021 W 48-9 Chiefs 8p/63yds, Raiders 9p/85yds

It looks to me like the big games they won't penalize as much, hopefully this holds true this weekend.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Week 8 - Packers at Bills

961350594_RonTorbert.thumb.JPG.ba8518acf136b7936a359f12a5195a44.JPG

We had Ron Torbert and crew just once last season, against the Texans, also in Buffalo, about a year ago. 

Houston Texans at Buffalo Bills - October 3rd, 2021 - W 40-0 Bills 3p/30yds, Texans 10p/100yds

But he did three Green Bay Games last year.

Washington Football Team at Green Bay Packers - October 24th, 2021 W 24-10 Packers 4p/36yds, WFT 4p/50yds

Chicago Bears at Green Bay Packers - December 12th, 2021 W 45-30 Packers 3p/30yds, Bears 7p/41yds

Divisional Round - San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers - January 22nd, 2022 L 13-10 Packers 5p/25yds, 49ers 5p/40yds

This is also his third Prime Time game this season, having done SNF opening weekend Tampa Bay at Dallas and MNF week 5 Denver at LA Chargers. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

Week 9 - Bills at Jets

1650941964_LandClark.thumb.JPG.ebc9503f70946073147d026038d8e840.JPG

Land Clark? What kind of name is that?  

Anyways, we had his crew twice last season.

Buffalo Bills at Jacksonville Jaguars - November 7th, 2021 L 9-6, (the Field Goal Extravaganza game) Bills 12p/118yds, Jags 8p/54yds

Atlanta Falcons at Buffalo Bills - January 2nd, 2022 W 29-15, Bills 7p/47yds, Falcons 4p/27yds

Land doesn't seem to like the Bills 

This week I learned Jack is not an expert on Refs nor does he particularly follow all of them. 😂

Turns out some dude I work with is dating an official. One that was in our Chiefs/Bills playoff games, too. I mentioned it to Jack who told me his fascination is with their day jobs, amongst other things. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

This week I learned Jack is not an expert on Refs nor does he particularly follow all of them. 😂

Turns out some dude I work with is dating an official. One that was in our Chiefs/Bills playoff games, too. I mentioned it to Jack who told me his fascination is with their day jobs, amongst other things. 

True Maya Erskine GIF by HULU

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Ugh, I remembered there being a lot of dumb penalties in that game - the Jags seemed to embrace a strategy of being chippy and trying to pull the Bills players into retaliating, which was then called.

I hope the guys got a lot of that stuff out of their system vs. Green Bay.

But I'd forgotten the sheer incompetence of that game.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.