Did I miss a New/Changed Rule?

plenzmd1

Alan Pergamnet interviewed Chris Collinsworth for an article today, and it included this blurb.

Collinsworth said Allen’s ability to run this year may be curtailed by a tweak to the rules.

“The rules have been adjusted to allow more freedom of contact on quarterbacks,” explained Collinsworth. “Because a lot of the quarterbacks were taking advantage of them. They were faking sliding and running, they were faking running out of bounds. 

Did i miss something? I cant find anything on the interwebs as of yet..all i can find is this ..which are tweaks to the roughing call. Hmm  any help anyone?

https://nypost.com/2022/08/11/nfl-tweaks-roughing-the-passer-penalty-ahead-2022-season/

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Alan Pergamnet interviewed Chris Collinsworth for an article today, and it included this blurb.

Did i miss something? I cant find anything on the interwebs as of yet..all i can find is this ..which are tweaks to the roughing call. Hmm  any help anyone?

https://nypost.com/2022/08/11/nfl-tweaks-roughing-the-passer-penalty-ahead-2022-season/

Yea that is all I am aware of. They will be a little more circumspect calling RTP. 

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

For those who don't feel like reading the article, here you go:

With this years re-examining of the rule, the NFL is now going to take into account incidental contact to the quarterback. Incidental contact with the arms to a quarterback’s head and neck area while attempting to block a pass will no longer be called as a penalty and defenders who unintentionally hit a players head and neck or lower legs will no longer be penalized.

The rule will also now allow players to make a play on the quarterback’s legs if they are on the ground, an action that was previously prohibited.

• Like (+1) 3

Patrick Mahomes does this fake run out of bounds play,if you hit him in bounds it's a penalty but he spins then runs down the sidelines.  Did it twice against the Bills. That rule is especially designed to stop that type of BS play. This is not a great play, it's cheating the rules when a defense player gives up on the tackle because he is after all  running out of bounds...

I call it the Patrick Mahomes rule

I am sure McDermott and Beane complained to the league about this Grey area in the rules.

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

This is exactly what I was gonna come here and post. He did the fake slide and they changed the rule. Haven't seen it in the pros. 

I think I saw something about them not calling personal foul calls on close hits out of bounds, I do think Josh has a tendency to gain as many yards as possible right on the edge of the field and try to duck out at the last second to draw a flag, so I do think this might be something that has a (minor) impact on Josh this year.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They are going to call roughing the passer less which is just good for the game and the right thing to do.  They had gone overboard.

Great news.  Too bad they’re going to dictate the flow of the game with illegal contact penalties.  It was called 36 times last year.  It’ll probably be called 36 times by October this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Great news.  Too bad they’re going to dictate the flow of the game with illegal contact penalties.  It was called 36 times last year.  It’ll probably be called 36 times by October this season. 

Agreed, I am ready for the Rams to go down the field by 5 yard penalties/automatic first downs tomorrow night.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Is Allen known for sliding or doing fake outs along the sidelines?

Please someone let me know when they ban QBs for absolutely abusing the ankles of defenders or jumping over LBs or QBs truck rushing against defenders like QBs are rolling pins against Pop-n Fresh dough and I will worry.

Allen doesn’t fake sliding. He runs over would be tacklers. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Is Allen known for sliding or doing fake outs along the sidelines?

Please someone let me know when they ban QBs for absolutely abusing the ankles of defenders or jumping over LBs or QBs truck rushing against defenders like QBs are rolling pins against Pop-n Fresh dough and I will worry.

I think we're all going to have rose colored glasses when it comes to Josh, but I don't think he's known for sliding/fake outs. 

Although he has gotten better at drawing roughing calls. I've noticed he'll sometimes not brace for hits from defenders and allow himself to be jostled by hits that really aren't that bad. He's drawn a few borderline flags by doing that. 

Thinking of plays like this one (even though the refs picked the flag up)

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

Patrick Mahomes does this fake run out of bounds play,if you hit him in bounds it's a penalty but he spins then runs down the sidelines.  Did it twice against the Bills. That rule is especially designed to stop that type of BS play. This is not a great play, it's cheating the rules when a defense player gives up on the tackle because he is after all  running out of bounds...

I call it the Patrick Mahomes rule ..

Josh admitted to trying to draw a RTP penalty on the Knox TD/NE , in his interview with Simms.

If a QB is out of the pocket and gets lit up on the sideline ….so be it. However, you are going to have a QB get absolutely crushed if they let this go to far the other way.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.