Heads up for Thursday... hot weather

Sierra Foothills

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

It's early in the season and I don't think the heat will affect the Bills any more than the Rams players.  It's uncomfortable for both teams.  Fluids and mist fans are about all you can do.

That's a negative there Ghost Rider. They are in a drought too. They don't have the water to run the swamp coolers. 

8 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I got to thinking about this on hearing that the Cheatriots*** arrived in Miami today... a full 5 days before their game with the Dolphins, in order to acclimate to the weather.

Since last Thursday the daytime highs in LA have ranged from 95 to 100 degrees. It will likely be above 90 degrees when the Bills and Rams kickoff at 5:20 PDT.

SoFi has a canopy to block UV rays but is considered open air without AC. I'm told the Cardinals-Rams game last October was very hot in the stadium which causes me to wonder if the heat will be a factor.

I'm mildly surprised this hasn't yet come up in discussion here or in the media.

Los Angeles Weather.png

Game strategy for Bills should be a good balance between run and pass.

Score early to build a psychological advantage

Mix in lot of runs to tire their D out in first half

Take advantage of their exhaustion and hit a few deep shots in 2nd half to put the game away

Run heavy in last quarter 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it’s western NY. 

you needed it 

2 weeks out of the year 

😝

Technically it’s Central NY, having lived in Syracuse I’m aware that on average eleven sunny days a year, but that does not change the fact that the Carrier Dome is named for an air conditioning company. I believe that the fact it did not have AC until recently is ironic.

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

it’s western NY. 

you needed it 

2 weeks out of the year 

😝

5 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Technically it’s Central NY, having lived in Syracuse I’m aware that on average eleven sunny days a year, but that does not change the fact that the Carrier Dome is named for an air conditioning company. I believe that the fact it did not have AC until recently is ironic.

Also, the building is 42 years old.

Some would argue that the AC wasn't needed back then but that it is now.

7 minutes ago, chris heff said:

And my father worked for Bethlehem Steel and Carrier. 

it wasn’t until he worked for Carrier that we actually got AC in the late 70’s 

it’s the same reason Pop up Campers in NY didn’t have AC as a standard option at the same time. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

The Bills have not had issues in early season games at a hotter Miami stadium. I'm not worried at all. The training staff is guaranteed on top of this and have been for some time.

I’ve been saying that throughout 

this is only a big deal to Cali peeps not used to the heat 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

And my father worked for Bethlehem Steel and Carrier. 

it wasn’t until he worked for Carrier that we actually got AC in the late 70’s 

it’s the same reason Pop up Campers in NY didn’t have AC as a standard option at the same time. 

I’ve been saying that throughout 

this is only a big deal to Cali peeps not used to the heat 

Nah, this is hotter than Miami. We've been regularly getting into the 100s the past two weeks.

11 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/sofi-stadium-los-angeles-bills-rams

"The stadium that closed out the 2021 football season hosting Super Bowl LVI will once again be in the spotlight Thursday as both blazing heat and the first regular NFL season game get underway.

The Los Angeles Rams will host the Buffalo Bills at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, in temperatures that are expected to reach the 90s but cool down before kickoff.

Meteorologists say a ridge of high pressure centered over the West is responsible for the excessive heat, which has triggered heat alerts for more than 50 million residents.

Similar to the record hit during the Super Bowl, the region is in the grasp of an ongoing heat wave that has pushed many communities above the century mark.

The outdoor temperatures could resemble those on the field as the $5 billion does not have air conditioning.

Engineers said the specially designed roof and walls are situated in a manner to allow the 3.1 million square feet facility to naturally cool through breezes off the ocean.

The openings in the stadium are designed to pull in ocean breezes through their aerodynamic shape and supposedly can tune wind flow. 

The stadium is located just over four miles away from the Pacific Ocean, where water temperatures are in the lower 70s."

I've never been to SoFi but the ocean breeze being 4 miles inland from the ocean is legit. If it is that hot though the breeze will be warm too. Not the most comforting cool down. I think water misters in the stands will be the way to go.

8 hours ago, sherpa said:

Weather-wise, pay attention to the dew point over the temp, which is the measure of how much  moisture is in the atmosphere.

Miami will be more difficult.

Yep... the dew point is everything. It's running at around 77 right now in Florida. Anything below 60 is a relief.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.