Heads up for Thursday... hot weather

Sierra Foothills

I got to thinking about this on hearing that the Cheatriots*** arrived in Miami today... a full 5 days before their game with the Dolphins, in order to acclimate to the weather.

Since last Thursday the daytime highs in LA have ranged from 95 to 100 degrees. It will likely be above 90 degrees when the Bills and Rams kickoff at 5:20 PDT.

SoFi has a canopy to block UV rays but is considered open air without AC. I'm told the Cardinals-Rams game last October was very hot in the stadium which causes me to wonder if the heat will be a factor.

I'm mildly surprised this hasn't yet come up in discussion here or in the media.

Los Angeles Weather.png

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

I know Sofi has open entrance ways to the outside but it is still considered an indoor stadium. Can't they just blast the AC.

https://www.foxweather.com/weather-news/sofi-stadium-los-angeles-bills-rams

"The stadium that closed out the 2021 football season hosting Super Bowl LVI will once again be in the spotlight Thursday as both blazing heat and the first regular NFL season game get underway.

The Los Angeles Rams will host the Buffalo Bills at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California, in temperatures that are expected to reach the 90s but cool down before kickoff.

Meteorologists say a ridge of high pressure centered over the West is responsible for the excessive heat, which has triggered heat alerts for more than 50 million residents.

Similar to the record hit during the Super Bowl, the region is in the grasp of an ongoing heat wave that has pushed many communities above the century mark.

The outdoor temperatures could resemble those on the field as the $5 billion does not have air conditioning.

Engineers said the specially designed roof and walls are situated in a manner to allow the 3.1 million square feet facility to naturally cool through breezes off the ocean.

The openings in the stadium are designed to pull in ocean breezes through their aerodynamic shape and supposedly can tune wind flow. 

The stadium is located just over four miles away from the Pacific Ocean, where water temperatures are in the lower 70s."

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I know Sofi has open entrance ways to the outside but it is still considered an indoor stadium. Can't they just blast the AC.

Governor's office is asking everyone to conserve as much power as possible in California to prevent power shut offs. Particular between the hours of 3pm and 9pm. Might be frowned upon to blast A/C in a building that essentially has all it's doors and windows open. 

The players will be fine. And probably shouldn't be too uncomfortable  in the stands. But the tailgates could be a little miserable. Hopefully there is some shade. Or bring a big McDermott hat. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Wow. 5 billion dollar stadium and it doesn't have AC especially in a place like California.

The Carrier Dome (now JMA Wireless) at SU, named after an air conditioning company, did not have AC for decades, until recently when they did renovations. 

• Shocked 1

7 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I got to thinking about this on hearing that the Cheatriots*** arrived in Miami today... a full 5 days before their game with the Dolphins, in order to acclimate to the weather.

Since last Thursday the daytime highs in LA have ranged from 95 to 100 degrees. It will likely be above 90 degrees when the Bills and Rams kickoff at 5:20 PDT.

SoFi has a canopy to block UV rays but is considered open air without AC. I'm told the Cardinals-Rams game last October was very hot in the stadium which causes me to wonder if the heat will be a factor.

I'm mildly surprised this hasn't yet come up in discussion here or in the media.

Los Angeles Weather.png

Good Morning. we had some discussion earlier in the thread. I am So Glad to have AC.  so far in san diego only One rolling blackout warning on my phone. It BLARES. All week Ive been hoping for cooler temps.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.