Is Allen routinely fooled by pre-snap disguises?

YoloinOhio

Steven Ruiz was/is one of the biggest Josh Allen haters in the analytics community.

It's clear from Ruiz's "analysis" that he's still locked into his pre-draft take and dislike of Josh Allen, and likely nothing that Allen can do will cause him to drop the "big dumb oaf throws the ball hard enough to overcome his idiocy" opinion of Josh.

I'll only say that Bill Belichick is not known for simple, easy-to-read defenses. He threw everything at Josh Allen in the playoffs last year. EVERYTHING. The result? The first perfect offensive performance in modern league history.

Ruiz needs to get over his hurt feelings and accept that his pre-draft take was wrong. He won't, though. Some of these analytics nerds hate being proven wrong so much that they will go to the ends of the earth to justify their awful takes.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Thats probably true.  Honestly I'd be fine if he threw a few more 50/50 balls. Diggs and Davis fight for the ball well even though they don't have elite size.  They position themselves well and of course there is a chance to draw a PI.  

Davis has elite size for a WR.  227 pounds is crossing into Megatron territory.

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If he was routinely confused by pre-snap disguises he wouldnt be in the league any longer.  No amount of arm can cover up for not knowing how to read a defense or knowing where to throw the ball.

I think that's why Rosen is almost out of the league.

Rosen has good arm strength

33 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If he was routinely confused by pre-snap disguises he wouldnt be in the league any longer.  No amount of arm can cover up for not knowing how to read a defense or knowing where to throw the ball.

Is it too late to get Josh Rosen?

• Haha (+1) 1

These were issues 3-4 years ago.  Today... not so much.

Every 8-10 games, Josh Allen has consistently grown in some aspect of his play.  If he can come close to maintaining his play from the last postseason, every record on the books will fall this season.

Short ball accuracy hasn't been a problem since early 2019.  Deep ball accuracy hasn't been a problem since the end of 2019.

I'm sure even veteran QBs have issues with disguised coverage sometimes, especially when the O-Line is letting through lots of pressure.  But I honestly think Allen is one of the smartest QBs in the league with breaking down defenses.  He's very underrated in this area, since most focus on his physical skills instead.

Not sure what he's talking about with "timing" on the offense.  What makes Allen special is his ability to extend the play, beyond what the coordinator designed on paper.  This should not be a criticism, unless you are doing the same to Patrick Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

Edited by mjt328

I read the article. The measurements are subject enough that he can say whatever he is predisposed to say. And really, how can anyone measure a pre-snap read and reaction? You can’t. There are so many unknowns and variables. The entire article is an exercise in confirming his own biases. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Is it too late to get Josh Rosen?

Sometimes I think it would be entertaining to see the Bills ultimately pick up Rosen just to make him the #3 QB  and relegate him to the practice squad, as a huge troll of the NFL draft gurus.

• Haha (+1) 1

I suggest that anyone who thinks Allen still gets regularly fooled pre-snap look at a breakdown of either of the last 2 Patriot games.  Belichick is famous for fooling quarterbacks, particularly young ones.  In the first game they started out with 2 high safeties (the book on how to slow down the Bills) and Allen ate them alive.  So he switched to other defenses and tried about everything and each time Josh would make the adjustment and play it right.  I've seen more thorough breakdowns of those games but this one by Chris Simms about week 13 is pretty good.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.