Is Allen routinely fooled by pre-snap disguises?

YoloinOhio

14 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has him as a top 5 QB so thinks he’s really good but just wondering about that specific comment 

I almost posted this on the board and my summation of the writeup was similar to the air raid tweet. Ruiz has been BRUTAL to allen all the way up into the middle of last year. He has fought his ascension tooth and nail as a writer on that site and this write up reads as though its making him ill to even have to put him at 5.... i got the same feel from it as the dude that made the tweet.

and ruiz' pre-snap thoughts go against everything thats been coming out of camp.... both fowler and giardi, in the last 2 weeks, have reported that everyone inside the building claims allen is now at his best making checks at the line and completely owning the offense.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Film gurus, please weigh in. I’m not being sensitive or disputing this, I just haven’t seen this assessment out there before

I'm not the guru either, but here's my take.

I think all QBs are fooled. I think the real question is how often does a QB get fooled, relative to other QBs, right? I think both IQ and experience matters. I think one's willingness to study, review tape and continue learning, matters, right? Josh has a strong IQ, I don't think there is any denying that. It sure seems to me that Josh is spending a lot of time learning, getting smarter and perfecting his skillset. What Josh lacks, compared to some of the QBs is obviously experience. I can't argue that Josh is anywhere near where Brady and Rogers are, contrasting their experience.

Comparing Josh's experience factor to his class of QBs, I don't think Josh is deficient. Rather, I'd argue that he is exceeding the experience level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Who the HELL is Steven Ruiz??

Never heard of him, is he a beat reporter for the tiger cats…?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I mean maybe he's pointing to the Jacksonville game? But the team as a whole didn't perform well that day. 

I'd say all QBs get fooled now and then. But I wouldn't say "routinely" for Josh, not based on watching him his entire career and seeing the steady improvements in his game. Also, go watch that half hour chat he had with Chris Simms last week. Lot of great insight on how the dude thinks and sees things out there. Sounds way too informed and intelligent to be a guy who's "routinely" tricked by disguised coverages. 

Also, I heard Steven Ruiz talking about Josh's mama, therefore the dude is a bum.

Yeah I think it was that word “routinely” that got me. He seems to think he only wins because he’s big and strong. Allen is very intelligent, people often dismiss that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Who the HELL is Steven Ruiz??

He's the guy who wrote these grades after the 2018 draft.  Josh Allen just keeps embarrassing him, So does Josh Rosen:https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/2018-nfl-draft-grades-picks-results-analysis-cradinals-colts-chargers-browns-giants-jets-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-sam-darnold-saquon-barkley

7. Josh Allen, QB Wyoming — Buffalo Bills (via TB)

GRADE: F

Analysis: The Bills gave up two second-round picks for the right draft a quarterback who is nothing more than a strong arm. Allen is inaccurate, struggles to read defenses and is uncomfortable from the pocket. Other than that, he’s a pretty good quarterback.

This pick isn’t all that surprising. After all, this is the same team that thought Nathan Peterman gave it a better chance to win than Tyrod Taylor.

10. Josh Rosen, QB UCLA — Arizona Cardinals (via OAK)

GRADE: A+

Analysis: The best quarterback in the draft had to wait 10 picks to hear his name called. Rosen gives the Cardinals a polished pocket passer who reads defense in an instant and throws the ball accurately. And now he’s motivated to make the nine team that passed on him regret that mistake.

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Yolo. 

there are some stories that should be left alone 

this is one that I won’t click on.  

Ask yourself this — 

If Josh was confused, how the hell can he have back to back perfect playoff games 

AGAINST 2 defensive gurus 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

He's the guy who wrote these grades after the 2018 draft.  Josh Allen just keeps embarrassing him, So does Josh Rosen:https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/04/2018-nfl-draft-grades-picks-results-analysis-cradinals-colts-chargers-browns-giants-jets-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-sam-darnold-saquon-barkley

Analysis: The Bills gave up two second-round picks for the right draft a quarterback who is nothing more than a strong arm. Allen is inaccurate, struggles to read defenses and is uncomfortable from the pocket. Other than that, he’s a pretty good quarterback.

This pick isn’t all that surprising. After all, this is the same team that thought Nathan Peterman gave it a better chance to win than Tyrod Taylor.

Analysis: The best quarterback in the draft had to wait 10 picks to hear his name called. Rosen gives the Cardinals a polished pocket passer who reads defense in an instant and throws the ball accurately. And now he’s motivated to make the nine team that passed on him regret that mistake.

Well...that pretty much says it all, doesn't it?

LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Film gurus, please weigh in. I’m not being sensitive or disputing this, I just haven’t seen this assessment out there before

It actually reads like something that was written about Allen in 2019.

Compare and contrast with what he writes about Justin Herbert whom he ranks #3.  I guarantee that Herbert is fooled by pre snap coverages at times and is being over-sold as a "Football throwing robot designed to destroy NFL defenses". 

"At times" vs "routinely"?  What's in the definition of a word?

5 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Do you have twitter?  Someone who does please post this in response to the Air Raid guys, they'll love it.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.