Will The Hype Help With Penalty Calls?

Irv

I'm expecting controversial calls primarily P.I. s and roughing the passer. Holding shouldn't be too bad, maybe if Brown starts pile driving people. I'm willing to bet they will be all over any QB hits. I wanna see a hit like A.J. put on Tua. Gladly take 15 fer that. That was almost as good as Moats on Favre. You young people might wanna look that one up.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, PonyBoy said:

Thank you. I had no idea what the portrait picture meant, don't watch a lot of TV. 

The character in the photo is known only as the "Cigarette Smoking Man" (CSM). He's portrayed in The X-Files as a powerful man who secretly runs the government behind the scenes. That particular episode was focused on his rise to power and his rampant abuse of said power. I watched that episode when it originally aired in the late 90s or so. When he said the line, I laughed and said to my wife, "I KNEW it was a government conspiracy!"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The character in the photo is known only as the "Cigarette Smoking Man" (CSM). He's portrayed in The X-Files as a powerful man who secretly runs the government behind the scenes. That particular episode was focused on his rise to power and his rampant abuse of said power. I watched that episode when it originally aired in the late 90s or so. When he said the line, I laughed and said to my wife, "I KNEW it was a government conspiracy!"

Intersting....I knew there was a logical reason for those losses 🤬😂

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The refs do offseason training and certain rules get emphasized.  I think that will influence the flags far more than any hype about either of the two teams.  

Yep. This season it will be illegal contact so be prepared for lots of those as DBs “ figure it out”. On the flip side, the Bills don’t seem to be the beneficiary of a lot of those while on offense. Last year the emphasis was on offensive holding as seemingly none were called the first Covid season. Whatever, it goes in cycles of what the NFL thinks went by the wayside the previous season. I think it’s more likely the Bills get called for a critical illegal contact late in the game Thursday than the Rams. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Is this the first official thread complaining about perceived egregiously unfair officiating?

Pinning it to air your zebra grievances here would be swell.

Not saying the OP is wrong at all by wondering if good teams get more of the benefit of the doubt........I think they obviously do get a bit less scrutinized by officials than hot-mess teams do...........but in general complaining about officiating is the most pointless and lamest discussion/excuse ever.........it certainly deserves in it's own isolated thread like the Araiza discussion.

Did...you even read the OP, or just knee-jerk?  Seriously.

The OP was not complaining about calls, but rather asking if we'd get more in our favor now that we're more the league/media sweethearts.  It's literally the opposite of complaining. 🤨

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, mabden said:

When we are up by 21 points in the 4th quarter, it won't matter.

We were up by a lot in the second half against the Rams, the last time we played them, and the Rams came back to take the lead late.  Only a very dubious penalty against the Rams gave the Bills one last chance to win, and Josh to Kroft won the game.  

The Rams also got away with murder in the playoffs against the Saints, which was probably Brees only real chance to get to the SB.  

Point being, even the egregious calls even out over time.  Except of course for Jerry Hughes, who was made an example of what happens when a player criticizes the refs.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Did...you even read the OP, or just knee-jerk?  Seriously.

The OP was not complaining about calls, but rather asking if we'd get more in our favor now that we're more the league/media sweethearts.  It's literally the opposite of complaining. 🤨

Did you read my post before this illogical response?

I literally said that I get the question and gave my opinion............but concerning yourself about whether you are going to get the benefit of  better calls is the first step toward blaming officiating for losses........and that is a losers game.  

The reality is that if a game comes down to a call or three being out of balance........somebody didn't do enough to win decisively...........and that is the object of competition.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Irv said:

A lot of folks on TBD used to B word about not getting calls because we were doormats for so long.  Will the fact that we have been favored by many to win the Lombardi, give us a break on some penalty calls?  What do you think?  

Heck no - we're still the Bills, even if we're one of the Super Bowl favourites. Did it help us last year?

4 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Gotta show this to my wife, 👍

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Josh has already been getting the Brady calls the last two years. See v the Rams in 2020 and at home v the Dolphins 2021. I don’t see the Browns getting any calls for the foreseeable future.  

Remember the personal foul call against Vonn Miller when he faked giving hand to Josh to get up after the play?

10 hours ago, Irv said:

I apologize for quoting myself but I wish I could react to a laughing emoji by TBBills.  What's funny about my OP?  What a wanker.  

What a wanker indeed!!  Kidding dude....

Seriously though without reading all the posts after yours I really hope that some of the evil shots that Josh takes WHILE in the pocket are called.....when he is running the dude is fair game like it or not.  But behind the line when trying to make a pass and he is mugged - I expect at least 1/2 of the Brady/Rogers/Mahomey treatment.....it is only fair.

10 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The refs do offseason training and certain rules get emphasized.  I think that will influence the flags far more than any hype about either of the two teams.  

Without doing any crazy goggle searching anyone know what he "emphasis" calls are this season????  What has the No Fun League drawn up now???

6 hours ago, nosejob said:

I'm expecting controversial calls primarily P.I. s and roughing the passer. Holding shouldn't be too bad, maybe if Brown starts pile driving people. I'm willing to bet they will be all over any QB hits. I wanna see a hit like A.J. put on Tua. Gladly take 15 fer that. That was almost as good as Moats on Favre. You young people might wanna look that one up.

Love the "you young people" jab.....as an old guy THAT makes me feel young!!!

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Remember the personal foul call against Vonn Miller when he faked giving hand to Josh to get up after the play?

The bigger question is how many times have they laughed and laughed and laughed about that call????  Proally quite a few!!!

It felt like late last year that the officials were starting to give Josh the benefit of the doubt. Which is really hard given how physical he is. I don't know that it extended to the rest of the team, but Josh seemed to get a few close ones late last year that we might not have gotten in the past. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.