Sal Capaccio tweets starters... Spencer Brown and more...

Sierra Foothills

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is if you are a pass catching back in the NFL and you can't pass block at all you are a hand tip to the defense every time you trot out there. I don't think the Bills drafted Cook to pass block, that is absolutely right, they drafted him to pass catch. But third down backs who can't pass block are a very niche category in the NFL and they don't tend to stick for very long. Cook doesn't need to be an expert blocker, he just needs to hold his own. Sal C has described it as "just get in the way" and that is pretty much it. You just need to buy Josh a second. 

Personally I think Cook will be active for the most part but if he isn't I tend to agree with @Coach Tuesday that it will likely be his pass blocking keeping him off the field. 

I’m sure they knew that pass blocking was not his strength and yet they still used a high draft capital to get him , I just hope he learns how to pass block because watching him being inactive during games would be really disappointing 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

I’m sure they knew that pass blocking was not his strength and yet they still used a high draft capital to get him , I just hope he learns how to pass block because watching him being inactive during games would be really disappointing 

Absolutely they knew. And per Sal they have repped him in 1 on 1 pass blocking a lot in camp. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely they knew. And per Sal they have repped him in 1 on 1 pass blocking a lot in camp. 

I hope he can be at least decent pass blocker because this offense could be next level with his speed and pass catching abilities !! 

4 minutes ago, Putin said:

I hope he can be at least decent pass blocker because this offense could be next level with his speed and pass catching abilities !! 

I think the point is we know this regime is not frightened or embarrassed to slow play a 2nd round pick. Cody Ford had a job share as a rookie, AJE is in year 3 and isn't a starter, Boogie is in year 2 and was inactive a lot early last year. If the Bills think Cook isn't ready as a pass blocker and needs more work they will give him time and do the more work to develop him before they put him out there. 

I expect him active tomorrow and going forward but if he isn't I wouldn't be totally stunned. Nor would I start panicking. 

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the point is we know this regime is not frightened or embarrassed to slow play a 2nd round pick. Cody Ford had a job share as a rookie, AJE is in year 3 and isn't a starter, Boogie is in year 2 and was inactive a lot early last year. If the Bills think Cook isn't ready as a pass blocker and needs more work they will give him time and do the more work to develop him before they put him out there. 

I expect him active tomorrow and going forward but if he isn't I wouldn't be totally stunned. Nor would I start panicking. 

I totally agree with you 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem is if you are a pass catching back in the NFL and you can't pass block at all you are a hand tip to the defense every time you trot out there.

Not necessarily. Put him out there with Gilliam, or Singletary/Moss. The defense won't know what to expect. More to the point I am expecting the Bills to use him early in games and in obvious passing situations where a hand tip doesn't matter. He can pass block, "get in the way", on quick passing concepts. No way they're going to keep their 2nd round RB inactive because he can't stonewall pass rushers. If they do, the pick was awful to begin with.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not necessarily. Put him out there with Gilliam, or Singletary/Moss. The defense won't know what to expect. More to the point I am expecting the Bills to use him early in games and in obvious passing situations where a hand tip doesn't matter. He can pass block, "get in the way", on quick passing concepts. No way they're going to keep their 2nd round RB inactive because he can't stonewall pass rushers. If they do, the pick was awful to begin with.

Any formation w Cook +Gilliam/Moss that isn't a setup for something else or a trick play is a wasted down

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

Zero confidence in this OL.

Care to elaborate?

We haven’t even seen this OL, under Kromer, yet.  

Kromer is one of the best in the game. 

Dawkins is above average.  Morse is above average.  Saffold is a solid vet. Bates/Brown are question marks with high ceilings.  Quessenberry is a solid vet if we need to go to him. 

We’ll see what happens tomorrow night, but when we look around the league.. I’m not sure what people are expecting us to have at OL.  We have an elite coach, a couple above average players, a couple solid vets and two young/high ceiling guys.  After the top 6 it gets dicey… as it does for everybody in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Any formation w Cook +Gilliam/Moss that isn't a setup for something else or a trick play is a wasted down

I'm not going to sit here and pretend like I know exactly how they will use Cook. What I know is that this front office and this coaching staff are in lock step. Every roster move they make has a purpose. They tried to sign McKissic, when that failed they drafted Cook. So I know that the coaches have a plan for that style of RB and told the front office to make sure they got one. I'm not expecting them to throw out that plan entirely just because Cook is a below average pass blocker. I think they were in fact very intentional about giving Cook those kinds of reps in preseason instead of giving him the types of reps that he'll be given in real games. They already know he can do his planned role. They were just tinkering to see how he's developed in his weak spots. I don't think that's a sign that he will be inactive.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While McBeane isn’t afraid to play rookies they also are very aware of how to properly develop players and how to our players in the best situations. I think Cook is a third down back role player this year. It just makes sense for his development to see if he can handle a smaller role as a situational player before throwing him into the deep end.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sean McDermott it appears has not actually committed to who is starting on the opposite side of Jackson.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/bills-not-naming-a-starting-cb-in-place-of-tredavious-white/

W will find out on Thursday it appears.

What a joy that you revived an existing thread and didn't start yet another needless one. Thank you.

5 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I would agree with that assessment. Beneford looked better to me overall. More disciplined, better mechanics, etc.

The other part of me that thinks Beneford will start is the fact that McD hasn’t announced it. If they were truly equal, it would be obvious to simply start Elam. 

on the other side, they could be trying to make the rams better gameplan recognizing whoever starts is going to have a tough matchup. 

Another possibility is that the competition is continuing and that they will both continue to audition/compete for the job.

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Care to elaborate?

Dawkins is above average.  Morse is above average.  Saffold is a solid vet. Bates/Brown are question marks with high ceilings.  Quessenberry is a solid vet if we need to go to him. 

We’ll see what happens tomorrow night, but when we look around the league.. I’m not sure what people are expecting us to have at OL.  We have an elite coach, a couple above average players, a couple solid vets and two young/high ceiling guys.  After the top 6 it gets dicey… as it does for everybody in the NFL. 

And as has been pointed out, the Bills and Packers were the only two teams to trade away offensive line depth at the cutdown to 53 players.

This would seem to indicate that the Bills O-line situation is not bad.

5 hours ago, T master said:

Glad to see Brown back where he belongs but i think (do you) that Cook is behind Moss only because he is a rookie & may need more time to prove him self as far as learning the offense and will eventually replace Moss as that guy ?

I think the FB should possibly be the 3rd RB up he's bigger & can probably run with more power than Moss i'm just not a fan of him never have been & thought the pick could have been same position better player say a A.J. Dillon type but that's just me i guess .

Definitely just you.  
Moss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gilliam

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Care to elaborate?

Having a quarterback that can avoid the pressure and is a significant threat to run (hopefully fewer designed runs) means you can live with a good not great line and spend money in other places.

as an example Dak has always had a great line until this year and the Cowboys spent heavily on it. However Dak needed that. I suspect the Cowboys and Dak will struggle this year

7 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sean McDermott it appears has not actually committed to who is starting on the opposite side of Jackson.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/bills-not-naming-a-starting-cb-in-place-of-tredavious-white/

W will find out on Thursday it appears.

Elam is starting tomorrow night.  After that, it's whoever plays best.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Exactly what I said… They aren’t going to activate 4 RBs(Singletary, Moss, Cook, and Jones)…. One of them will be inactive IMO.

Tragic is a big stretch… but I honestly have no idea what he’s thinking with some of these early round picks. Way too many at RB and just a poor record with 2nd round picks to this point. 

I think it’s fair to say Beane has continually wasted high draft picks, if we were evaluating Bellicheck for these draft picks we’d be laughing. He got Allen, awesome, and therefore a lot is covered up.  But Edmunds is marginal, Ford is trash, DS is still trying to make a role for himself, Oliver is solid, hasn’t come close to top 10 status, AJE still a borderline NFL player, Moss still trying to find something, Groot was solid, actually have hope for him, Boogie.. why?, Brown looks like a good hit.  This year is way to early to judge, but Elam has been equaled or out played by his 6th round competition, Cook just makes no sense as a second round pick, don’t get me started on the wasted 3rd round pick… step back and look at it objectively, Beane has really sucked on early picks outside of Allen.  Let’s be fair, he got the right one, but he also didn’t have his pick of the litter and has shown a propensity to make a move to not get shut out on a position of need.   If the Browns had taken Allen, then what?  Anyway, his track record in the draft is worthy of question.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

27 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I think it’s fair to say Beane has continually wasted high draft picks, if we were evaluating Bellicheck for these draft picks we’d be laughing. He got Allen, awesome, and therefore a lot is covered up.  But Edmunds is marginal, Ford is trash, DS is still trying to make a role for himself, Oliver is solid, hasn’t come close to top 10 status, AJE still a borderline NFL player, Moss still trying to find something, Groot was solid, actually have hope for him, Boogie.. why?, Brown looks like a good hit.  This year is way to early to judge, but Elam has been equaled or out played by his 6th round competition, Cook just makes no sense as a second round pick, don’t get me started on the wasted 3rd round pick… step back and look at it objectively, Beane has really sucked on early picks outside of Allen.  Let’s be fair, he got the right one, but he also didn’t have his pick of the litter and has shown a propensity to make a move to not get shut out on a position of need.   If the Browns had taken Allen, then what?  Anyway, his track record in the draft is worthy of question.

The draft is a crapshoot and 35/39 of Beane’s picks are still in the NFL and I count 14 starters most for a Super Bowl favorite roster… 

The arm chair GMs out there criticizing Beane have absolutely no clue about football, zero. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The draft is a crapshoot and 35/39 of Beane’s picks are still in the NFL and I count 14 starters most for a Super Bowl favorite roster… 

The arm chair GMs out there criticizing Beane have absolutely no clue about football, zero. 

I called into MTC yesterday on NFLR, and they spoke to this point on how many are still in the league.  A small group of people think they are smarter than real GM’s, but look at track records.  BB is a horrible GM, but an excellent coach in the past.  Beane and McD are a great combo.  They have similar vision, are aligned up and down the line, and they have developed along with the assistants Josh and others.  The fact that we have that many players who develop over three years into starters is impressive.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.