Sal Capaccio tweets starters... Spencer Brown and more...

Sierra Foothills

4 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I think it’s fair to say Beane has continually wasted high draft picks, if we were evaluating Bellicheck for these draft picks we’d be laughing. He got Allen, awesome, and therefore a lot is covered up.  But Edmunds is marginal, Ford is trash, DS is still trying to make a role for himself, Oliver is solid, hasn’t come close to top 10 status, AJE still a borderline NFL player, Moss still trying to find something, Groot was solid, actually have hope for him, Boogie.. why?, Brown looks like a good hit.  This year is way to early to judge, but Elam has been equaled or out played by his 6th round competition, Cook just makes no sense as a second round pick, don’t get me started on the wasted 3rd round pick… step back and look at it objectively, Beane has really sucked on early picks outside of Allen.  Let’s be fair, he got the right one, but he also didn’t have his pick of the litter and has shown a propensity to make a move to not get shut out on a position of need.   If the Browns had taken Allen, then what?  Anyway, his track record in the draft is worthy of question.

Allen is a huge hit, Ed Oliver was one of the best DTs in football last year and Dawson Knox is probably the second most talented young tight end in the game after Kyle Pitts. There is a point about whether he has hit on enough stars on days 1 and 2, I think that is fair, but Oliver and Knox taking the steps they took in year 3 kind of negates that argument too. I have made my point about positional value of three day two running backs elsewhere but I do that is worthy of discussion. 

You also have to counter balance that with the fact that he has been arguably the best day 3 of the draft GM in football. 2018 brought Taron Johnson a top 5 nickel, Siran Neal the best gunner in football and Wyatt Teller who has emerged as an all pro guard (though sadly not here). 2019 brought Jaquan Johnson who does nothing but make plays every time he steps on the field. 2020 brought Gabe Davis and Dane Jackson who are now established starters and Tyler Bass and then this past draft, while I agree it's early, brought Khalil Shakir and Christian Benford who have had super impressive summers. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Allen is a huge hit, Ed Oliver was one of the best DTs in football last year and Dawson Knox is probably the second most talented young tight end in the game after Kyle Pitts. There is a point about whether he has hit on enough stars on days 1 and 2, I think that is fair, but Oliver and Knox taking the steps they took in year 3 kind of negates that argument too. I have made my point about positional value of three day two running backs elsewhere but I do that is worthy of discussion. 

You also have to counter balance that with the fact that he has been arguably the best day 3 of the draft GM in football. 2018 brought Taron Johnson a top 5 nickel, Siran Neal the best gunner in football and Wyatt Teller who has emerged as an all pro guard (though sadly not here). 2019 brought Jaquan Johnson who does nothing but make plays every time he steps on the field. 2020 brought Gabe Davis and Dane Jackson who are now established starters and Tyler Bass and then this past draft, while I agree it's early, brought Khalil Shakir and Christian Benford who have had super impressive summers. 

I love your optimistic view, but there’s absolutely nobody outside of Buffalo that would put Oliver or Knox in the conversation as best or most talented at their positions.  That’s just not true.  Knox is a good athlete and one of my favorite players, but you would have to Cherry pick the ***** out of criteria to have him top 2 at anything. 

The late round drafting has been pretty impressive, which makes it all the more puzzling why he can’t seem to hit on the better prospects.  

God knows it’s so much better than we had in the past.  I do love the logic of “14 Starters” came from Beane’s drafts, it’s a nice stat.  The reality is 7-8 of them are starters by default, not because they are true NFL starters, but nonetheless, at least they are on an NFL roster and decent.

• Eyeroll 1

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I love your optimistic view, but there’s absolutely nobody outside of Buffalo that would put Oliver or Knox in the conversation as best or most talented at their positions.  That’s just not true.  Knox is a good athlete and one of my favorite players, but you would have to Cherry pick the ***** out of criteria to have him top 2 at anything. 

The late round drafting has been pretty impressive, which makes it all the more puzzling why he can’t seem to hit on the better prospects.  

God knows it’s so much better than we had in the past.  I do love the logic of “14 Starters” came from Beane’s drafts, it’s a nice stat.  The reality is 7-8 of them are starters by default, not because they are true NFL starters, but nonetheless, at least they are on an NFL roster and decent.

I am afraid you are just wrong. I am the opposite of a homer. But Oliver last year was a top 5 D tackle and Knox talent wise I think is as good as anyone not name Pitts and if he had hit the market next April you'd have possibly seen him become the best paid tight end in football. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Just out of curiosity, name these "7-8" players who are "starters by default."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.