Sal Capaccio tweets starters... Spencer Brown and more...

Sierra Foothills

On 9/3/2022 at 1:26 PM, MasterStrategist said:

Can't look at the depth chart in such a boxed way.  Same can be said about backup WR, Cooks role on offense, etc.  There will certainly be multiple formations/looks that will dictate playtime over depth chart.

Yeah I will be shocked if Moss actually out snaps Cook on offense. 

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

He's the main one technique taking Star's role.  They usually list that player as the starter.  Plus, what exactly has Settle done so far in his career to earn the starting role on a rotating defensive line?

Call me crazy, which you will and I will not disagree, I thot Settle had a pretty good camp.  I am ALL about getting the best person in that slot.....if that is Jones then so be it.  Thanks for setting this old dude right!

1 hour ago, Forlorn hope said:

Because he wasn't 100% last year and is a physical tough blocker 

Howard can't move and is not as physical 

He was so physical that McD turned to a rookie OT to play TE2 over him when things mattered most.  

On 9/3/2022 at 1:07 PM, Beck Water said:

Fair.

I guess some posters here will be relieved to see that Jake Kumerow isn't listed as the backup at outside WR behind Diggs and Davis

He's only listed as the backup WR behind Davis 😁

Surprises to me: 

Moss > Cook as RB2

Bernard listed as the starting SLB ahead of Dodson - I guess the team sees his pre-season performance differently than fans do

Cam Lewis listed as the backup NCB and Siran Neal listed as the backup outside CB 🤷‍♂️

Anyone explain that last to me, I'll be obliged

As far as the LBs go, I thought Giles-Harris was our best in preseason. I liked the cut of his jib.

1 hour ago, Kwai San said:

What is wild to me is that Jones is the Starter versus Settle.....huh?  I guess my old brain ain't comprehending that one.....I know I know rotation and all that.  I guess....

Jones has started 110 games in the NFL.

Settle has started 2 games as a pro.

This is reflected in their respective contracts.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tim-settle-25264/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/daquan-jones-14523/contracts/

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

He was so physical that McD turned to a rookie OT to play TE2 over him when things mattered most.  And at your convenience he wasn't 100% , but even though tommy Sweeney was crushing ppl this preseason and Howard was at best soft, you have a hang up. 

Why ???

Edited by Forlorn hope

42 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

Why ???

Why? Why what?  

Why did you do to that quote….

crack is whack!

35 minutes ago, Forlorn hope said:

It's honestly pathetic and weird if you think Howard was better than Sweeney this preseason 

Who said a word about Howard?  Wth dude…

On 9/3/2022 at 8:13 PM, VaMilBill said:

Not sure who was really better in the preseason, Elam or Benford. But curious if the reason Elam is starting is because of his draft status. 

Sean McDermott it appears has not actually committed to who is starting on the opposite side of Jackson.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/bills-not-naming-a-starting-cb-in-place-of-tredavious-white/

W will find out on Thursday it appears.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m interested to see if Cook being the 3rd RB means he doesn’t dress for games, the way they did with Moss last year.  I would find it REALLY hard to believe, but this RB by committee thing does take up and extra spot on game day.  It may be that one of the bottom WRs/TEs won’t dress.

30 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Sean McDermott it appears has not actually committed to who is starting on the opposite side of Jackson.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/07/bills-not-naming-a-starting-cb-in-place-of-tredavious-white/

As it stands based on what we saw, I would be putting Beneford out there, Elam has more raw ability, but it’s raw.

44 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I’m interested to see if Cook being the 3rd RB means he doesn’t dress for games, the way they did with Moss last year.  

This is my expectation.  Happy to be wrong about it.  I know there are fans convincing themselves that the Bills "hid" Cook in the preseason which I think is borderline hilarious.  My expectation is that he doesn't dress for the first month or so and certainly not tomorrow night, I can't fathom them trotting out Cook in pass-blocking situations with 99 on the other side of the field...

47 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

As it stands based on what we saw, I would be putting Beneford out there, Elam has more raw ability, but it’s raw.

I would agree with that assessment. Beneford looked better to me overall. More disciplined, better mechanics, etc.

The other part of me that thinks Beneford will start is the fact that McD hasn’t announced it. If they were truly equal, it would be obvious to simply start Elam. 

on the other side, they could be trying to make the rams better gameplan recognizing whoever starts is going to have a tough matchup. 

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Leslie said they will both play but seemed to imply Elam will start. 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:45 PM, Doc said:

So I see Shakir is backup outside WR (good), the RB's appear to be in order of what down they'll be playing (lol) and rumors of the coaching staff being down on Elam were way off.  And good to see Brown back in the starting lineup, with Quess providing decent depth.

Glad to see Brown back where he belongs but i think (do you) that Cook is behind Moss only because he is a rookie & may need more time to prove him self as far as learning the offense and will eventually replace Moss as that guy ?

I think the FB should possibly be the 3rd RB up he's bigger & can probably run with more power than Moss i'm just not a fan of him never have been & thought the pick could have been same position better player say a A.J. Dillon type but that's just me i guess .

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This is my expectation.  Happy to be wrong about it.  I know there are fans convincing themselves that the Bills "hid" Cook in the preseason which I think is borderline hilarious.  My expectation is that he doesn't dress for the first month or so and certainly not tomorrow night, I can't fathom them trotting out Cook in pass-blocking situations with 99 on the other side of the field...

I feel the same way, but man what an awful look to have the 2nd round pick not dressing for games for 3 consecutive years.  I know Beane has worked some magic, but his drafts are almost tragic outside of Allen.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T master said:

Glad to see Brown back where he belongs but i think (do you) that Cook is behind Moss only because he is a rookie & may need more time to prove him self as far as learning the offense and will eventually replace Moss as that guy ?

I think the FB should possibly be the 3rd RB up he's bigger & can probably run with more power than Moss i'm just not a fan of him never have been & thought the pick could have been same position better player say a A.J. Dillon type but that's just me i guess .

I think we may see Gilliam as the 3rd RB with Jones as a ST captain and the “ability” to step in if needed.  

I agree with your assessment on Moss, but I am cautiously optimistic he will be much better this year.  We have not seen the guy from college yet, but I saw glimpses of it this pre-season.  He was a hammer in college, and he has really underrated hands, I won’t be shocked to see him keep Cook from dressing for a while.  He’s the short yardage guy, by default (and I don’t agree with it based on the past, I think DS can do just as well), he is definitely a better blocker and if he can start to show that little bit of burst/pop he had in college, he’s talented enough to start in the NFL.  I’d be happy to have a problem of too many guys that are too talented to bench at a weak position from last year, but man, if we have a 2nd round pick not dressing for the 3rd straight year, I might just lose it.  I hope I’m wrong about it and I hope Cook is a beast, but I don’t see the justification for his draft slot at all.  Wasn’t happy with the pick at the time, still haven’t seen a reason to change that, hopefully they were “hiding” their weapon.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I can't fathom them trotting out Cook in pass-blocking situations with 99 on the other side of the field...

They didn't draft him to pass block. It was not his strength in college. If they aren't dressing him because of his pass blocking that is a rare case of the front office not being in lock step with the coaching staff. I expect him to dress and have a specialized role in the pass game.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

They didn't draft him to pass block. It was not his strength in college. If they aren't dressing him because of his pass blocking that is a rare case of the front office not being in lock step with the coaching staff. I expect him to dress and have a specialized role in the pass game.

The problem is if you are a pass catching back in the NFL and you can't pass block at all you are a hand tip to the defense every time you trot out there. I don't think the Bills drafted Cook to pass block, that is absolutely right, they drafted him to pass catch. But third down backs who can't pass block are a very niche category in the NFL and they don't tend to stick for very long. Cook doesn't need to be an expert blocker, he just needs to hold his own. Sal C has described it as "just get in the way" and that is pretty much it. You just need to buy Josh a second. 

Personally I think Cook will be active for the most part but if he isn't I tend to agree with @Coach Tuesday that it will likely be his pass blocking keeping him off the field. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/3/2022 at 2:53 PM, CorkScrewHill said:

The thing that surprised me was Bernard leapfrogging Dodson. He had some plays, but I didn’t see him as better than Dodson at this point

Maybe he showed more in practice ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.