Sal Capaccio tweets starters... Spencer Brown and more...

Sierra Foothills

18 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Because of his late-season struggles and injury-shortened offseason I was surprised to see him promoted for week one.

I guess the Bills are betting that Brown is better off being thrown into the fire than being eased in.

I'm willing to bet they collectively have over 100 yds. rushing and hopefully control the T.O.P. especially late. Maybe that's why they named Brown the starter.

I think it's going to come down to what match ups the coaches think they can exploit. One week we may see an extra running back. The next might be an extra WR. We all ready know how dangerous the passing attack is but there were times when we needed to run more effectively last year. I honestly don't think the offense will change much. Passing is still the bread and butter of this offense. The difference is going to be finding out how effective the running backs can be. Finding out not just how well they can rush, but how well they can receive.  The pieces that were added in the off season seem to make it clear that the plan is to simply make the offense more diverse.  Right now I think they are concentrating on their Thursday night match up and what they can exploit against the Rams defense. The following week it will be a different game plan.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, it’s the first article that came up.  He was also getting knocked backwards in his limited preseason pass pro opportunities.  

I don’t doubt that he was getting knocked backwards on pass pro.  5’ 11’ and a basically stationary 190 doesn’t hold up well vs 6’3 240 (or whatever) moving at 15 mph.  I would hope that Beane factored that into his draft board.  The avg weight of an nfl back is 215.  Spotting 25 lbs is a bunch.

I went through the AFC rosters and found 3 RBs that came in lighter and even then, by only a few lbs.  None of the 3 of them played more than a handful of snaps last year.

He may get somewhat better in 2022 but realistically, he is what he is for the rest of this year.  

If Beane hoped for better, well shame on him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So I see the evidence is growing. It's gone from one practice to "limited preseason opportunities"

Is that all of it ?

If you all don't think he can pass protect watch the national championship game against Alabama.

Time after time Cook was picking up free rushers giving Bennett time to throw.

This is another problem with posters here. 99% don't watch college football. 

Please stop spreading this misinformation and watch for yourself

Playing pass protect in college is different to playing pass protect in the NFL. He has the mental ability to do it; he understand what he needs to do. Can he translate this against players who have better physical attributes and more experience?

That won't be just a question for us but all rookies across the NFL. Hopefully he can.

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Jones is as much a RB as Barkley is a Punter.

The Bill averaged 27 total rushes per game last year and that includes all the carries of the RBs, QBs and WRs.  Its hard for me to think the will dress 3 RBs that dont play special teams to get 6 to 9 touches each.  

I cant forget this,  so if Jones is need as an emergency RB Im ok with that.  And if Barkley was the #2 QB I would be happy with him as an emergency punter based on what I saw in preseason....

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe the rules now are you can dress 48 as long as 8 are OL. If fewer than 8 are OL they can dress 47. 

Looking at that roster for week 1 and trying to find the five inactives is tricky. 

I think Sweeney, one OL (Doyle if he is still hurt or Van Roten or Hart), Shaq and Cam Lewis are the four most likely. I'd probably say Spector is the next most likely given he would be up mainly for teams and they have Dodson who can play teams and Matakevich who is a teams captain up but I don't think it is totally mad to think that Crowder is a possibility too if McKenzie is healthy... or of course Moss if they only dress 3 running backs. 

Based on Morris and Doyle not practicing today and the Rams personnel my guess would be Morris, Doyle, Spector, Basham, and Cook.  I just have a feeling they won't trust Cook in pass protection against the heavily blitzing Rams with Donald drawing double teams leaving free blitzers.  Lawson over Basham because he's better against the run and not breaking containment with all of the Rams window dressing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Playing pass protect in college is different to playing pass protect in the NFL. He has the mental ability to do it; he understand what he needs to do. Can he translate this against players who have better physical attributes and more experience?

That won't be just a question for us but all rookies across the NFL. Hopefully he can.

Pass protection is an area of development for almost every RB coming out of college. It has nothing to do with Cook personally. Very few are fully developed in this aspect as rookies and if they are drafted to a team with a pass heavy offense, it will almost always be a process and a learning curve. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 9/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

Not surprised about Elam starting nor am I surprised about Shakir or James Cook.

There are MANY here who believe that McKenzie is not fit to be the starting kick returner. I feel/felt he should be given another shot because his upside is pretty damn high.

I thought Spencer Brown would wait a few weeks behind Quessenberry before being named the starter.

You’re not surprised Zach Moss best-out James Cook, our second round pick?

Wow, when did you realize this?

51 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

You’re not surprised Zach Moss best-out James Cook, our second round pick?

Wow, when did you realize this?

From the beginning. I never thought Cook had leapfrogged Moss.

I thought Moss, a 3rd round pick in his 3rd year in the system, full recovered from his 2021 ankle problems was going to be ahead of the rookie who is to me, a situational weapon.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Toledo Bill said:

Then why is Sweeney on the team? He is terrible.

I'd write a letter to Beane immediately and let him know. We still have a few days before the season begins. Please! The entire organization needs to be made aware of Toledo Bill's insight!

9 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

What is wild to me is that Jones is the Starter versus Settle.....huh?  I guess my old brain ain't comprehending that one.....I know I know rotation and all that.  I guess....

He's the main one technique taking Star's role.  They usually list that player as the starter.  Plus, what exactly has Settle done so far in his career to earn the starting role on a rotating defensive line?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.