Sal Capaccio tweets starters... Spencer Brown and more...

Sierra Foothills

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If he ends up sitting it will be because of his pass pro issues.

Agreed and it is because it telegraphs what the Bills are running. Put Zack Moss out there he can run a route or he can stay in and pass protect. If defenses are able to key in on "it's Cook, it is basically empty formation because they are not going to keep him in the block" then that is gonna prevent him getting on the field as much as he should.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yolo posted in another thread. I thought it deserved its own topic.

Shakir has looked so confident and natural fielding punts.  Of course I don’t remember much wind for the preseason games.  Hopefully he’ll look the same in December.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed and it is because it telegraphs what the Bills are running. Put Zack Moss out there he can run a route or he can stay in and pass protect. If defenses are able to key in on "it's Cook, it is basically empty formation because they are not going to keep him in the block" then that is gonna prevent him getting on the field as much as he should.

Now that the games count, I'm curious to see if Bills run 21 personnel and have Cook put in motion or have him split out wide after initially lining up in backfield.  Try to give defense initially a run look and then try to create a mismatch in the pass game I.e. LB covering Cook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, CNYfan said:

The manner in which Coach McDermott slow walks rookies I would not be surprised if Cook was not active at the beginning of the year, for a few games.  

Doubtful.  At worst it's a bad look to have your 2nd round pick inactive.  But he can be useful and there are 5 others worth inactivating on game day over him.

10 hours ago, ganesh said:

who are going to be the inactive's on game day ?

Sweeney,

Cam Lewis

Hamlin

Shaq Lawson

Hart

and one among Moss or Quintin Morris

If they dress 8 OL, they almost always do, they're allowed to dress 48, so 5 inactives.  My guess is Hart, Lewis, Spector, Sweeney and Lawson.

4 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

If they dress 8 OL, they almost always do, they're allowed to dress 48, so 5 inactives.  My guess is Hart, Lewis, Spector, Sweeney and Lawson.

As a ‘hypothetical’, let’s say that they decide to activate Lawson this coming week due to projected 98 degree temps & they’ll want the DL as fresh as possible.

Who do you think would be ‘next out’ for being active?

7 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Cook has pass pro issues ?

That's strange he was a very good pass protector at georgia. 

So now we've decided he has pass pro issues when he hardly ever played in the preseason ?

What plays or series of plays in preseason led us to believe he has pass pro issues?

https://theathletic.com/3478869/2022/08/04/bills-camp-observations-james-cook-zack-moss/?source=user_shared_article

“Cook’s pass protection remains a work in progress as the safeties and linebackers have been giving him some trouble in those one-on-one drills.”

• Haha (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://theathletic.com/3478869/2022/08/04/bills-camp-observations-james-cook-zack-moss/?source=user_shared_article

“Cook’s pass protection remains a work in progress as the safeties and linebackers have been giving him some trouble in those one-on-one drills.”

So this is the evidence? One practice?

I've noticed this board has a "herd mentality" where some unfounded opinion is stated and everyone jumps aboard even when 95% of posters don't even know what they are talking about.

Trust me he can pass protect. Kirby Smart would never have put him on the field if he couldn't pass protect. And he pass protected against some of the best teams in college football.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

So this is the evidence? One practice?

I've noticed this board has a "herd mentality" where some unfounded opinion is stated and everyone jumps aboard even when 95% of posters don't even know what they are talking about.

Trust me he can pass protect. Kirby Smart would never have put him on the field if he couldn't pass protect. And he pass protected against some of the best teams in college football.

No, it’s the first article that came up.  He was also getting knocked backwards in his limited preseason pass pro opportunities.  

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, hemma said:

As a ‘hypothetical’, let’s say that they decide to activate Lawson this coming week due to projected 98 degree temps & they’ll want the DL as fresh as possible.

Epenesa. They don't need 9 D-linemen on gameday.

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

No, it’s the first article that came up.  He was also getting knocked backwards in his limited preseason pass pro opportunities.  

So I see the evidence is growing. It's gone from one practice to "limited preseason opportunities"

Is that all of it ?

If you all don't think he can pass protect watch the national championship game against Alabama.

Time after time Cook was picking up free rushers giving Bennett time to throw.

This is another problem with posters here. 99% don't watch college football. 

Please stop spreading this misinformation and watch for yourself

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

Now that the games count, I'm curious to see if Bills run 21 personnel and have Cook put in motion or have him split out wide after initially lining up in backfield.  Try to give defense initially a run look and then try to create a mismatch in the pass game I.e. LB covering Cook.

Yea me too. I always wanted Chan and Hackett to run it with Fred and CJ on the field at the same time - both could run, both could receive, two different styles... and I think Moss (more than Devin because Devin isn't really a particularly good receiver) and Cook in 21 personnel gives you something similar. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, hemma said:

If we end up sitting our hopefully dynamic #2 pick all year so that Jones can play STs, then it will have been a complete waste of a pick.

The two things are not at all related.  Jones is a ST player and will dress for that reason, each week.  Cook and Moss will be interesting.  I expect both to dress most of the time.  There may be weeks where they do not see a role for Cook, but I think that will be rare.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, hemma said:

I'd say either Moss or Cook.  Depending on the game plan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.