Is Boston Media finally starting to sour on Bilicheat?

muppy

Having lived there in the past, I can say that they are not kind when any solid winning team goes from success to losing. So let’s hope the Pats go to 7-10 and all hell will break loose. The media will wig out and social media will want Belicheat and his son gone. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

Having lived there in the past, I can say that they are not kind when any solid winning team goes from success to losing. So let’s hope the Pats go to 7-10 and all hell will break loose. The media will wig out and social media will want Belicheat and his son gone. 

Nah, I want a long drawn out agonizing neverending debate on every sports show asking “Has BB lost it”.

Keep twisting that knife.

• Haha (+1) 1

Thanks for sharing.  I had seen snippets of this but not the entire story.

Bum Phillips used to say that Don Shula could take his guys and beat your guys and also take your guys and beat his guys...I am not sure Belichick is in that category.  He is a brilliant coach and may go down as the greatest in history, particularly on Defense and Special Teams.  However, Tom Brady's work ethic, brains, accuracy and competitiveness/will to win was on equal footing to Belichick's brilliance to what made the Pats so great for so long.

Last year, the fact that the Pats made the playoffs, was probably one of his better coaching jobs.  This year, handing the offense to Matt Patricia and Joe Judge without McDaniels there is not a great recipe for success from an outsider's view.  The draft record is not even average.  Still, I wouldn't start shoveling dirt on the coffin just yet.....

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

It is kind of one of those weird feelings where you're like "Is this a mirage or are the Patriots going to be terrible this year?"

Looking critically at the last couple decades of Patriots seasons shows us a tendency to be at their worst in the first parts of the season, but to improve and to find some semblance of a winning identity by season's end. 

So it's reasonable to expect early struggles and bad losses before they sort some things out and plateau as an "in the hunt" fringe team. 

Or maybe they'll just absolutely implode!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, stuvian said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/31/sports/patriots-draft-failures-are-glaring-bill-belichick-deserves-some-blame-not-developing-young-players/

it's sounding like a disastrous offseason in Chowderland. I'm not one to doubt BB but losing Brady and now McDaniel combined with a few bad drafts has him looking vulnerable

“A few”?

There was a point fairly late in last season where it seemed entirely possible, even if not likely, that the Pats would grab the AFCE crown away from the Bills.  The Pats had come to Orchard Park and beaten the Bills physically.  It was only when the Bills pulled it together, went to Foxborough, and beat the Pats that the Bills were able to reassert their dominance.  If things had gone sideways in that game, the Bills might have missed the playoffs altogether.

Belichick the GM is a disaster.  Belichick the player developer is a failure.  But Belichick the Xs and Os guy, the motivator, the tactician -- is still brilliant.  

Maybe Don Shula could take his team and beat you, or take YOUR team and beat you.  Belichick can take toxic sludge and farts and either beat you or at least scare you.  Of course then there was that playoff shellacking in the frigid cold, when the Pats gave up and kept looking longingly at the sidelines with the parkas and heaters.  I don't care who was lined up against Buffalo that game -- the Bills were unstoppable.  So I don't really want to crucify BB for that one, either.  

The best thing Kraft could do as the owner is sit BB down and tell him he can coach as long as he wants, but the team is going to have an actual GM, and BB is going to have to get used to it.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Bum Phillips used to say that Don Shula could take his guys and beat your guys and also take your guys and beat his guys...I am not sure Belichick is in that category. 

I’m certain that you could replace “guys” with “playbook” and it would probably work out in Bellicheat’s favor. 🤪

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I won't believe the fall of the Patriots until I see it. They made the playoffs with a rookie qb and have a defensive mastermind as their head coach. I have heard this same story every preseason for the past decade. The Patriots are a threat as long as Bill Belichick is their coach.

Yep, exactly what I was going to say.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I won't believe the fall of the Patriots until I see it. They made the playoffs with a rookie qb and have a defensive mastermind as their head coach. I have heard this same story every preseason for the past decade. The Patriots are a threat as long as Bill Belichick is their coach.

Wrong.

Brady made BB.  everyone wants to hate Brady, but he was 71-79 without him.  You should know the reference.  He is a horrible GM, and does not develop people well.  He is a great tactician. His ego kills him.  If he had a Beane and knew how to play well in the sandbox, he would’ve been fine.

He’s his own worst enemy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Wrong.

Brady made BB.  everyone wants to hate Brady, but he was 71-79 without him.  You should know the reference.  He is a horrible GM, and does not develop people well.  He is a great tactician. His ego kills him.  If he had a Beane and knew how to play well in the sandbox, he would’ve been fine.

He’s his own worst enemy.

I agree that he is a horrible gm. Another Jerry Jones situation where his ego prevents him from realizing others are better with personnel.

The 71-79 record includes when he was head coach of the Browns, who had a bad roster and were in the process of leaving Cleveland. Belichick was still finding his way as a head coach.

Bill also managed to have winning records with Matt Cassell and rookie Mac Jones at qb.

Edited by Allen2Diggs

39 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Nothing against what he’s done in the past obviously but I wasn’t terribly impressed with belichick last season.  The pats making the playoffs felt a bit flukey imo…they got the browns and titans absolutely ravaged by injuries and the bills in that ridiculous wind storm.  couple that with the afc east having a bunch of easy opponents on the schedule to begin with… NYJ X 2,HOU,ATL,CAR,JAX.  They faded down the stretch against buffalo and two pretty good afc teams that didn’t even qualify for the playoffs (Mia and Ind) and got absolutely smoked in the playoffs. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I agree that he is a horrible gm. Another Jerry Jones situation where his ego prevents him from realizing others are better with personnel.

The 71-79 record includes when he was head coach of the Browns, who had a bad roster and were in the process of leaving Cleveland. Belichick was still finding his way as a head coach.

Bill also managed to have winning records with Matt Cassell and rookie Mac Jones at qb.

Why do people always attach the word ‘rookie’ to qbs like they are guaranteed to improve as they age…lots of guys get off to good starts because defenses haven’t yet picked up on their tendencies then they end up flaming out 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/31/sports/patriots-draft-failures-are-glaring-bill-belichick-deserves-some-blame-not-developing-young-players/

it's sounding like a disastrous offseason in Chowderland. I'm not one to doubt BB but losing Brady and now McDaniel combined with a few bad drafts has him looking vulnerable

Vulnerable or like a doddering old man?

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Nothing against what he’s done in the past obviously but I wasn’t terribly impressed with belichick last season.  The pats making the playoffs felt a bit flukey imo…they got the browns and titans absolutely ravaged by injuries and the bills in that ridiculous wind storm.  couple that with the afc east having a bunch of easy opponents on the schedule to begin with… NYJ X 2,HOU,ATL,CAR,JAX.  They faded down the stretch against buffalo and two pretty good afc teams that didn’t even qualify for the playoffs (Mia and Ind) and got absolutely smoked in the playoffs. 

After a heartbreaker in OT against Dallas, the Pats got their **** together and went on quite an impressive 7 game win streak in the middle of the season. And they beat some legit contenders like the Chargers, Browns, Titans, and Bills in the wind game. Everything was firing on all cylinders for them and they were looking like a top 5 team until they imploded and lost 3 out of 4 of their last games.

I don’t think it was Flukey at all. If Mac Jones somehow improves on last season, they will easily contend for another Wildcard. I never count them out as long as BB is the coach. Obviously, I hope the whole organization implodes, but it’s not likely. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.