Is Boston Media finally starting to sour on Bilicheat?

muppy

I am quoting this thread and link from a bills copadre @MR8 

Very interesting read: 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/08/...young-players/

Bill Belichick (right) has not developed many young coaches, instead bringing back retreads such as Joe Judge (left).BARRY CHIN/GLOBE STAFF
Remember that image of Bill Belichick’s dog, Nike, sitting at a computer in 2020 and looking like he was running the Patriots’ draft?
Doesn’t seem so cute right now.

Specifically, their ability to develop young players.
Because it just isn’t happening. That’s why the Patriots had to spend a then-record $175 million guaranteed in free agency in 2021. They didn’t have any young talent ready to step into significant roles.
Last year’s draft, with quarterback Mac Jones, defensive tackle Christian Barmore, and running back Rhamondre Stevenson, offers promise. Then again, Jones is still unproven, Barmore doesn’t impact the stat sheet much, and Stevenson plays the easiest position to draft in the NFL.
“I’m happy we had a great draft last year,” owner Robert Kraft said in March. “And it made up for what happened the previous four years or so.”
Every team whiffs in the NFL Draft, but the “previous four years or so” for the Patriots were especially brutal:
▪ In 2018, the Patriots chose Isaiah Wynn and Sony Michel over Lamar Jackson and Darius Leonard.

shoot this is a paywall. Boo. Im sorry this is paywalled.  Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, muppy said:

is is a paywall. Boo. Im sorry this is paywalled.  Thoughts?

Paywalls suck? ;) 😆 

I think we have seen that it was more Tainted Tom and Belicheat (good coaching) 

Lets see what the old man Tammy  👴 does with the new HC Bowles

3 minutes ago, muppy said:

Indeed it is YES. Thank you for saving my bacon 🙂 m

mmm 😋 🥓 🥓 

I just finished making 🥓 

• Thank you (+1) 1

the thing that struck me regarding the link was how they were calling him OUT.. I mean Im not a frequent reader of baaston newspapers. But the criticisms had zero to do with brady. It was alll the other comments criticizing THE bill belichick.

After last seasons games with Buffalo I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. He "retiring" with the commemorative gold watch. **smirk* gold super bowl rings yeah whatever. 

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Oh man, they're playing the "let's redraft game" and see how good we could have been!

We had 17 practice at that, here's wishing them 34!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

All you have to do to be the greatest coach ever is draft the best QB ever in the 6th round. What's so hard about that? Belicheat is a sub .500 coach without Tom Brady under center

While this is all true...drafting a generational QB in the 6th round will boost a coach and Belicheck is sub 500 without Tom...it shouldn't denigrate Belicheat as a coach.

- His plan/defense won SB25 for the Giants.

- His Browns won a playoff game (it was almost 30 years before that happened again)

- He beat the Bills in that stupid wind game.  The Pats had no business doing that.

- He got the Pats to the playoffs with a rookie Mac Jones.

He's a cheater and he was helped by Tommy, but he is still a great coach.

Thank God he is a terrible GM (and I mean that literally).

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Belicheat is well past his “use by” date. The longer he stays in place in NE, the longer that team will be irrelevant.  This articles does a great job of explaining why.  Could not happen to a nicer guy.  He should have ridden into the sunset when he was still relatively on top when Brady left.  His ego would not let him.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Doc said:

After they don't make the playoffs this year, he'll be politely asked to retire.

Thats taking all the fun out of it.  I want to twist that metaphoric knife in his back and make him suffer for the next four years.

My Bills fantasy is he finishes 7-10 to 9-8 every year for four years straight swept by the Bills each year and even the Fins starting next year for three.  Let him die a slow agonizing NFL reputation death, and let Brady make the SB so Allen kicks his ars on Feb..  Then again sweeping Brady in Miami next year.  

I have to root for him now as I’ve lived in Tampa longer than Buffalo for my sons, but I can’t wait to getting back to hating that self righteous bleep.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

All you have to do to be the greatest coach ever is draft the best QB ever in the 6th round. What's so hard about that? Belicheat is a sub .500 coach without Tom Brady under center

It's a really interesting debate. There's absolutely no denying his defensive genius. The amount of gameplans the guy put together over the years to stop a specific player or high powered offense, when you look at that the guy is just incredible and deserves all the accolades he gets.

But yeah, the winning % as a HC without Brady is also undeniably subpar. I also object to people saying he's a genius for picking Brady. They lucked into Brady pure and simple. It would have been the same for us if Peterman somehow turned into a HOF quarterback.

If the Pats crash and burn this year and he retires it'll be interesting to hear the debates that will go on for years ("is he really the GOAT?").

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My biggest question is how well will NEs secondary plays.  They lost a shutdown corner in Jackson and that has to put

more pressure on McCourty at FS who is now 35 years old.  It's looking like their SCB is unproven.

Jonathan Jones is now starting full time and their depth behind all these guys doesn't look great.

Jaylen Mills returns at CB but his first season with the Pats wasn't stellar at all.

BB has always been able to take away opposing team's top WRs.  Not sure if that happens this year.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thats taking all the fun out of it.  I want to twist that metaphoric knife in his back and make him suffer for the next four years.

My Bills fantasy is he finishes 7-10 to 9-8 every year for four years straight swept by the Bills each year and even the Fins starting next year for three.  Let him die a slow agonizing NFL reputation death, and let Brady make the SB so Allen kicks his ars on Feb..  Then again sweeping Brady in Miami next year.  

I have to root for him now as I’ve lived in Tampa longer than Buffalo for my sons, but I can’t wait to getting back to hating that self righteous bleep.

Ideally, but at some point he's going to realize it's not worth it and/or more likely, Kraft will.  The atrocious drafting and development of players can't be overlooked and I have no doubt he sees what's going on in Tampa Bay.

One of the only saving grace's of having to endure the Patriots reign over the Bills and the NFL as a whole has been the general disdain the Boston media has shown Belichick.    Sure he has his ball washers but a lot of the media was illogically critical of him when he was winning SB's.    I am all for very high standards but you win that many SB's and dominate the sport for the longest stretch ever I think I can overlook vague complaints about cheating or your clearly bad drafting etc.. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.