Most talented player in Bills franchise history?

Special K

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

OJ & Bruce we’re 1st overall picks. Allen* ‘dropping’ to 7th overall will never be forgiven by the fans whose team didn’t select him. The Juice was a phenom, though he played with 2 HOF Guards, brilliant WRs and a very effective HC & QB. Bruce was literally surrounded by HOFers -including his coach & was excellent vs the run. But he was significantly more productive as a pass rusher because of the immense talent on his offenses. The Unicorn* -remember, your read that here 1st- still has no clue how great he can be as he’s personally aced every pressure situation he’s faced to date. Barring injury, he’s a lock as most talented ever. But remember, so was Tom Sestak, Robert James & Jerry Butler, all of whom only enjoyed a few great seasons before injuries killed their careers. As to the OP’s request for my Top 5, I’ll add Butch Byrd and Cookie Gilcrest. Byrd was an enigma, built like a LB and ferocious. His 40 career INTs will likely never be topped. Cookie and Terrell Owens we’re also enigmas  whose character quirks had them playing for multiple teams, wearing out their welcome with each stop while being eye-poppingly incredible players.

Honorable mention: Cornelius Bennett

I agree, I saw all those guys play, however I think Bruce Smith has to get the nod. Bruce had the ability to step up and take over a game. That is a rare talent. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

Moulds in particular should get more attention in this thread.  I wouldn't put him ahead of Bruce or Allen, but I thought he was more physically talented than Reed and I would pay good money to see what he would have been like in this offense with modern NFL rules.

Moulds, with Diggs = dynasty. 👍

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

For those of you hesitant to put Allen on there, “because it’s too early” you are missing the question. The question is “the most physically gifted Bills ever.” Josh Allen, may be, the most physically gifted person to ever play the most important position in the game. He’s inarguably on the list. 

If the question was, “who are the 5 greatest Bills ever” I’m fine with no Allen. I see a lot of Thurman on here and I think people are using those 2 questions interchangeably. I love Thurman. He is one of the 5 greatest Bills ever. He’s not one of the 5 most physically gifted. 

Would Lee Evans count ?  He was smooth in his routes and was a speed burner. Too bad he was part of the ***** teams the Bills dished out during his time here

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Would Lee Evans count ?  He was smooth in his routes and was a speed burner. Too bad he was part of the ***** teams the Bills dished out during his time here

He wouldn’t be on my short list but have a shot at the “most talented 53.” He was an elite deep threat with great hands. Moulds and TO were more physically imposing. 

Does talent = raw athletic ability? I think talent happens when the raw athletic ability is applied to its fullest potential to football.

For example, I think Diggs may be as talented as any other Bill, but without the elite measurables and athleticism. 

In whatever order, Simpson, Bruce Smith, Mario Williams, and Allen have elite measurables and athleticism, plus the top talent.

OJ, the man, is an evil monster.

But OJ the running back: poetry in motion.  He played back in day when defenses were designed to stop the run, DE's were tackling edge-setters, linebackers were killing machines, and the very best athletes became halfbacks anyway.  And OJ was the best of them all.

The youngsters here may not remember that at USC, OJ was part of the relay team that set a 4x110 world record.  OJ was fast and, as far as I know, he's the only Bill to own a world mark for non-football athletics.  But as good as a track athlete as he was, with his size, agility, strength and insane elusiveness, OJ was born to be a running back.  While backs like Cookie ran over people and backs like Barry jitterbugged his way away from people, OJ drew graceful curves in the gridiron that left defenders impotently grasping at the demigod that just blew by.  He had tremendous vision and a remarkable innate understanding of geometry that allowed to see opportunities before they even developed.  

In the 1970s, thousand-yard seasons were the benchmark for greatness.  The season, of course, was only 14 games long back then.  And it was hard to average 71 yards/game when stopping the bell cow back was typically Job Number One.  Still, in 1973, both John Brockington and Calvin Hill managed to rush for 1140 yards or so.  Given the defensive schemes and priorities of the time, it was a great accomplishment.  Yet OJ ran for over 2,000 yards - 75% more than the nearest competitor. 

When has any other Bill produced 75% more yards, sacks, receptions, TD, INTs, or any other meaningful stat than his nearest competitor?  OJ, in his prime, was beyond comparison, beyond words.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

OJ Simpson

Josh Allen

Bruce Smith

Eric Moulds

Cookie Gilchrist probably belongs somewhere on the list, but I never saw him play.

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

OJ, the man, is an evil monster.

But OJ the running back: poetry in motion.  He played back in day when defenses were designed to stop the run, DE's were tackling edge-setters, linebackers were killing machines, and the very best athletes became halfbacks anyway.  And OJ was the best of them all.

The youngsters here may not remember that at USC, OJ was part of the relay team that set a 4x110 world record.  OJ was fast and, as far as I know, he's the only Bill to own a world mark for non-football athletics.  But as good as a track athlete as he was, with his size, agility, strength and insane elusiveness, OJ was born to be a running back.  While backs like Cookie ran over people and backs like Barry jitterbugged his way away from people, OJ drew graceful curves in the gridiron that left defenders impotently grasping at the demigod that just blew by.  He had tremendous vision and a remarkable innate understanding of geometry that allowed to see opportunities before they even developed.  

In the 1970s, thousand-yard seasons were the benchmark for greatness.  The season, of course, was only 14 games long back then.  And it was hard to average 71 yards/game when stopping the bell cow back was typically Job Number One.  Still, in 1973, both John Brockington and Calvin Hill managed to rush for 1140 yards or so.  Given the defensive schemes and priorities of the time, it was a great accomplishment.  Yet OJ ran for over 2,000 yards - 75% more than the nearest competitor. 

When has any other Bill produced 75% more yards, sacks, receptions, TD, INTs, or any other meaningful stat than his nearest competitor?  OJ, in his prime, was beyond comparison, beyond words.  

What’s even more incredible is that OJ wasn’t even featured by the Bills in his first three seasons.  He had his breakout year at age 25 and his five dominant seasons took place between the ages of 25-29

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.