Jane Fonda Battling Cancer

Gugny

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

That's not aiding and abetting.  It's not treason.  It's her exercising her freedom of speech that those U.S. soldiers "were fighting for."

Some people give an awful lot of power to an actress with a microphone.  Give me a break.

I strongly disagree, and my mind will not be changed.

When the country is at war, going to the enemy and making ten unsolicited radio appearances calling US servicemen war criminals, murderers and suggesting they should be executed is absolutely giving comfort to the enemy.

Again, I wish her no ill, but her actions were treasonous.

Further, she had no idea what "US servicemen were fighting for."

She was an ignorant knucklehead with a microphone, and she gave comfort to an enemy.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, sherpa said:

I strongly disagree, and my mind will not be changed.

When the country is at war, going to the enemy and making ten unsolicited radio appearances calling US servicemen war criminals, murderers and suggesting they should be executed is absolutely giving comfort to the enemy.

Again, I wish her no ill, but her actions were treasonous.

Further, she had no idea what "US servicemen were fighting for."

She was an ignorant knucklehead with a microphone, and she gave comfort to an enemy.

Treasonous, to me, isn't an accurate representation of what she did.  There was certainly nothing criminal about it.

Do you think the US servicemen had any idea what they were fighting for?  That was her whole point.

She was far from ignorant.  She was well-informed and well-spoken.  She expressed regret (many times) for taking the picture. 

She spoke out against the war.  The young men dropping bombs on civilians were following orders ... that was her message.  She wasn't condemning the ones doing these things as much as she was condemning the ones pulling the strings .. .the War Pigs ... the Piggies.

On 9/2/2022 at 7:22 PM, I am the egg man said:

Again, just never watched much of her work. Don’t doubt she had some sound acting chops.

I wouldn’t base her acting career on Barbarella and Nine to Five.

…..again, best wishes to her for successful treatments and results.

Neither would I.

Nine to Five is a funny movie, but it's Dabney Coleman who steals it in that one.

Barbarella is awful.

She's good in On Golden Pond, but Henry Fonda is fantastic.

She was very good in Barefoot in the Park & The China Syndrome.

As for the Vietnam stuff, well, I personally think she is a loathsome, elitist, and vile person. Especially years after her stunt in Hanoi.

Her attitude towards Vietnam veterans is just gross, but I'm sure the feeling is mutual amongst the veterans as well.

40 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Treasonous, to me, isn't an accurate representation of what she did.  There was certainly nothing criminal about it.

Do you think the US servicemen had any idea what they were fighting for?  That was her whole point.

She was far from ignorant.  She was well-informed and well-spoken.  She expressed regret (many times) for taking the picture. 

She spoke out against the war.  The young men dropping bombs on civilians were following orders ... that was her message.  She wasn't condemning the ones doing these things as much as she was condemning the ones pulling the strings .. .the War Pigs ... the Piggies.

Again, I wish her no ill.

But she was certainly ignorant. Grossly ignorant.

She was puking out what her North Vietnamese handlers were telling her, which bas bullstuff.

Most of the men I served with above the O4 level my first cruise had been involved in that war.

As a junior carrier attack pilot at that time, who was not involved in that, I had many conversations with them about target selection, rules of engagement and a host of other nonsense that went on during the Johnson/McNamara DOD led war.

She was absolutely ignorant, and calling for them to be executed as murderers and war criminals in their capitol during a war with many POWs being tortured is not something something I would classify as "freedom of speech."

I can sympathize with where she was  coming from back during the war, though I don’t agree with her actions…. but I think what she was arrested for a few years ago was stupid af. Still a great actress though, just a chip off her dad’s block.

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Again, I wish her no ill.

But she was certainly ignorant. Grossly ignorant.

She was puking out what her North Vietnamese handlers were telling her, which bas bullstuff.

Most of the men I served with above the O4 level my first cruise had been involved in that war.

As a junior carrier attack pilot at that time, who was not involved in that, I had many conversations with them about target selection, rules of engagement and a host of other nonsense that went on during the Johnson/McNamara DOD led war.

She was absolutely ignorant, and calling for them to be executed as murderers and war criminals in their capitol during a war with many POWs being tortured is not something something I would classify as "freedom of speech."

It's definitely well beyond simply protesting the war. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.