CFB Playoff Expansion to 12 teams approved

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

But what if Bama blows out that tough Austin Peay team they scheduled?

Then they should probably jump to #3 in the CFB rankings. 

Side note: my youngest is a soph. at Ole Miss and I felt TERRIBLE for her. She was texting me all game, so worried... "You think we can pull this out?".... "If we win, we're jumping the wall and rushing the field." 

I left the Oklahoma State/Iowa State game and walked to my car watching the Ole Miss/Bama game and was so disappointed the Rebels lost, just because I knew Lauren would be crushed. She messaged me "I'm so upset Dad." I raised her going too Oklahoma State games (she still bleeds orange but her new love is in Oxford) and she could tell you the game as well as I can (I coached it in HS). 

18 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

But what if Bama blows out that tough Austin Peay team they scheduled?

Austin Peay would probably be a competetive team in the soft Big 12.

Obviously Alabama is not playing all that well this season. They have no business making the playoffs but it really is a sad day when TCU can make the playoffs coming from a second rate conference. The same applies to Clemson, and every team in the Pac 12.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Obviously Alabama is not playing all that well this season. They have no business making the playoffs but it really is a sad day when TCU can make the playoffs coming from a second rate conference. The same applies to Clemson, and every team in the Pac 12.

Makes all your arguments and statements seem pointless now. You SEC homers are ridiculous. "Only teams in the SEC matter!" (as a ranked Kentucky team LOSES to freakin' Vandy)

Texas, who SUCKS again, who got destroyed by TCU... should have beat your mighty Tide. Big XII teams are 2-1 vs the SEC and Big 10 this year. Lone loss was Texas. 

TCU would beat Alabama by 14. You should have lost to Ole Miss last weekend. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s sad that an undefeated team can go to a playoff?  If they can’t get in going undefeated, why bother even having a program?

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

It’s sad that an undefeated team can go to a playoff?  If they can’t get in going undefeated, why bother even having a program?

He wants ONLY SEC or BiG teams in the Playoffs. Even if Clemson goes undefeated, mind you they beat Alabama TWICE for the National Championship the past few years, they shouldn't be allowed to go either. But if Tennessee or Florida goes 12-0, they get to play in it. Not a 13-0 TCU 🙄

Dude is the DEFINITION of a homer. 

16 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

He wants ONLY SEC or BiG teams in the Playoffs. Even if Clemson goes undefeated, mind you they beat Alabama TWICE for the National Championship the past few years, they shouldn't be allowed to go either. But if Tennessee or Florida goes 12-0, they get to play in it. Not a 13-0 TCU 🙄

Dude is the DEFINITION of a homer. 

Who is the homer? I remember you telling me about this really good, legit team. 😁🤣😁🤣

https://www.bing.com/search?q=kansas+state+oklahoma+state+score&form=MSNSB1&refig=91c7d9a0d28e4cb6b3a4ebf61678db88&mkt=en-us

Who is the homer? I remember you telling me about this really good, legit team. 😁🤣😁🤣

https://www.bing.com/search?q=kansas+state+oklahoma+state+score&form=MSNSB1&refig=91c7d9a0d28e4cb6b3a4ebf61678db88&mkt=en-us

They 'were' and I can be wrong about a team. Spencer Sanders was playing GREAT going into the TCU game were he got hurt. We lose in DOUBLE OT in Fort Worth. A game we should have never lost... up 17 and blew it. He then goes in, hurt, and we beat Texas (again) at home. Still injured, he goes to Manhattan (not the easiest place to play) against a solid KSU team and just implode. He gets hurt, has to leave the game. He then can't go against Kansas, we lose.  Two freshman QB's as backups, not a good combo. Alabama knows this first hand. During that whole 2 game stretch, we lose two starting DL's, 2 starting DB's, 3 starting OL and 2 starting WR's along with the QB and punter. Many of those guys, for the season.

Before the season started, I figured we'd be about 4th in the Big XII. When we beat Texas, there was no reason to think OSU couldn't go back to the Big XII championship game and get revenge on TCU. Yea, I'm a homer... but you're a homer who refuses to think anything other than "SEC". I'm not an idiot like that.  

Still love to hear how a 13-0 TCU team doesn't deserve to get into the CFP. 

First of all, refrain from calling me names. 

Next, your team sucks. Alabama could have lost 5 games this season with their worst team in many years. Instead, they won 3 of those games, including a road win over your Mississppi team :) .  Otoh, a weak OSU lost 48-0 to a so-so team. Not good.  🤣

Think what you will about the Big 12.  Tell yourself how good they are, despite the parade of teams leaving it. 

Dream away. 

Edited by Bill from NYC

39 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Next, your team sucks. Alabama could have lost 5 games this season with their worst team in many years. Instead, they won 3 of those games, including a road win over your Mississppi team :) .  Otoh, a weak OSU lost 48-0 to a so-so team. Not good.  🤣

Think what you will about the Big 12.  Tell yourself how good they are, despite the parade of teams leaving it. 

Dream away. 

To be fair, teams aren't leaving because of the quality, they are leaving for money.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Dream away. 

I didn't call you a name. But anyway.... 

Yea, this year they suck. When Oklahoma State has a "suck" year, we win eight games. Most teams in the country would kill for an 8 win season. Again, going back like 15 years OSU has been a top 10 winning program (actually 9th). You can make attempts to rip on the Cowboys all you want, but here ya go. Since 2008 (when Alabama woke back up in Saban's 2nd year): 

1. Bama

2. Ohio State

3. Boise State

4. Clemson

5. OU

6. UGA

7. Oregon

8. LSU

9. Oklahoma State

10. Wisconsin 

Again, I've said Oklahoma State is DOWN this year. Figured we'd be 4th in the Big XII. Looks like we will finish 3rd. And as cle23 said, the parade (two teams makes a parade?) is leaving because of $$$$. That's it. Prior to Saban, Alabama pretty much sucked. I would expect with a top tier coach, 5 star after 5 star kid, and the HISTORY you have, I'd expect you to win games. Gundy is a top tier coach, gets 3 star and a couple 4 star recruits, at a historically average football school and we manage to win nearly 10+ games a season. He was able to turn OSU into a top program year in and year out.

Still want to hear how a 13-0 TCU team shouldn't be allowed in the CFP Playoff? Are you going to ignore those of us that have asked you?

Edited by ArdmoreRyno

14 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I Still want to hear how a 13-0 TCU team shouldn't be allowed in the CFP Playoff? Are you going to ignore those of us that have asked you?

My point is really simple. For example, Clemson: 

There is no doubt that Clemson  has a solid, talented team year after year. They are (as you well know) 2-1 against Alabama in title games. They ran into one of those practically unbeatable teams (LSU) and lost to them. That LSU team was in a class with the 2021 Crimson Tide championship team but I digress.

Almost every team that Clemson plays is horrible, or at the very least so-so. I heard Dabo say on Sirius that he removes his starters very early to give the subs playing time. My point? His teams arrive to the playoffs comparatively fresh and rested as compared to Alabama, Ohio State, and other teams. 

Should an undefeated TCU be allowed to go to the playoffs and promptly get crushed? Certainly. Should USC get in there if a few teams lose and they win out against garbage? Well, how would one justify keeping them out, even if they make last season's Cincinatti team look like the 2021 Crimson Tide?

You say that teams are leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC because of the money and that is true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The money is in the SEC because so are the talented teams. 

As an aside, NIL is really hurting, and will continue to hurt the top teams. Look at Texas A&M.....they had the highest ranked recruit class in the history of college football, and they are losing game after game. Football and boxing are primarily for poor folks. If you were 18-21 years old, with $500K in your pocket and living on a campus chock full of hot women, would you want to get hit by Will Anderson or Brian Branch? Would you want to be in bed sleeping in your room at 10 PM, after studying the playbook for 3 hours? I don't think so. I know that I would have been out there hanging out with the hot young girls night after night.

Obviously the players deserve some money but there needs to be a system in place. The topic of NIL deserves it's own thread imo. 

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

There is no doubt that Clemson  has a solid, talented team year after year. They are (as you well know) 2-1 against Alabama in title games. They ran into one of those practically unbeatable teams (LSU) and lost to them. That LSU team was in a class with the 2021 Crimson Tide championship team but I digress.

Almost every team that Clemson plays is horrible, or at the very least so-so. I heard Dabo say on Sirius that he removes his starters very early to give the subs playing time. My point? His teams arrive to the playoffs comparatively fresh and rested as compared to Alabama, Ohio State, and other teams. 

Should an undefeated TCU be allowed to go to the playoffs and promptly get crushed? Certainly. Should USC get in there if a few teams lose and they win out against garbage? Well, how would one justify keeping them out, even if they make last season's Cincinatti team look like the 2021 Crimson Tide?

You say that teams are leaving the Big 12 to join the SEC because of the money and that is true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. The money is in the SEC because so are the talented teams. 

As an aside, NIL is really hurting, and will continue to hurt the top teams. Look at Texas A&M.....they had the highest ranked recruit class in the history of college football, and they are losing game after game. Football and boxing are primarily for poor folks. If you were 18-21 years old, with $500K in your pocket and living on a campus chock full of hot women, would you want to get hit by Will Anderson or Brian Branch? Would you want to be in bed sleeping in your room at 10 PM, after studying the playbook for 3 hours? I don't think so. I know that I would have been out there hanging out with the hot young girls night after night.

Obviously the players deserve some money but there needs to be a system in place. The topic of NIL deserves it's own thread imo. 

PS: I already said that Alabama does not deserve a playoff spot this year.

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

PS: I already said that Alabama does not deserve a playoff spot this year.

I never argued with this point. The SEC is the best conference and has been ever since the mid-90's when Florida won. Not even close really.  Big XII, Pac12 and Big 10 are all tied with the number of titles since that Florida win (ACC with 4 wins is 2nd?). The SEC has won the vast majority of those titles. 

As for TCU... the Big XII isn't a joke-conference. I already pointed out the conference is 2-1 v Big 10 and SEC teams this year (the lone close loss was your Bama/UT game). The Conference as a whole this year is 5-3 vs Power 5 conferences in the non-conference slate. WVU lost to Pittsburgh on the road by 7 in the opener, Tech lost on the road to NC State by 13, and then Texas v Alabama. Tech and WVU are - AWFUL - teams this season.  

I could argue the best conferences from top to bottom this year are, in order:

1. SEC (71% will likely go to a bowl, 1 or 2 CFP)

2. Big 10 (71% will likely go bowling, 1 or 2 CFP)

3. Big XII (80% will likely go bowling, 1 CFP)

4. ACC (71% will likely go bowling, 1 possible CFP)

5. PAC12 (50% will likely go to a bowl, 1 possible CFP)

My entire point is this: We need an expanded playoff to PROVE all of these arguments we have. SEC has looked solid as always, but do we know TCU can't hang or even beat a team like Tennessee? Maybe even UGA somehow (TCU has a solid defense)? Could USC beat Michigan? We would never know unless we actually expand the whole thing. Not to 68 teams like the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but something better what we have now... which is better than the BCS... which was better than the AP deciding it... and so on. Remember when Boise beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl? We never know unless they play. 

Thankfully, we are going to get the expanded playoff so this argument is moot. 

6 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

I never argued with this point. The SEC is the best conference and has been ever since the mid-90's when Florida won. Not even close really.  Big XII, Pac12 and Big 10 are all tied with the number of titles since that Florida win (ACC with 4 wins is 2nd?). The SEC has won the vast majority of those titles. 

As for TCU... the Big XII isn't a joke-conference. I already pointed out the conference is 2-1 v Big 10 and SEC teams this year (the lone close loss was your Bama/UT game). The Conference as a whole this year is 5-3 vs Power 5 conferences in the non-conference slate. WVU lost to Pittsburgh on the road by 7 in the opener, Tech lost on the road to NC State by 13, and then Texas v Alabama. Tech and WVU are - AWFUL - teams this season.  

I could argue the best conferences from top to bottom this year are, in order:

1. SEC (71% will likely go to a bowl, 1 or 2 CFP)

2. Big 10 (71% will likely go bowling, 1 or 2 CFP)

3. Big XII (80% will likely go bowling, 1 CFP)

4. ACC (71% will likely go bowling, 1 possible CFP)

5. PAC12 (50% will likely go to a bowl, 1 possible CFP)

My entire point is this: We need an expanded playoff to PROVE all of these arguments we have. SEC has looked solid as always, but do we know TCU can't hang or even beat a team like Tennessee? Maybe even UGA somehow (TCU has a solid defense)? Could USC beat Michigan? We would never know unless we actually expand the whole thing. Not to 68 teams like the NCAA Basketball Tournament, but something better what we have now... which is better than the BCS... which was better than the AP deciding it... and so on. Remember when Boise beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl? We never know unless they play. 

Thankfully, we are going to get the expanded playoff so this argument is moot. 

Your post makes sense and I agree with your conference rankings.

You and I disagree about the importance of bowl games. For instance, I hope that Saban removes most if not all starters from any bowl we might play in and puts the freshmen in there. I even WANT Bryce Young to sit out the game, whereas I expect a QB battle next yesr between Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson and I want to see them get playing time.

Mac Jones got his first serious playing time in a bowl against Michigan and that turned out pretty well, no? 

Edited by Bill from NYC

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 2:32 PM, FireChans said:

For who?  Not for LSU fans. Or USC fans (who they would play if the season ended today and top 2 seeds got a bye).  That would be a great game lol

The bottom line is bowl season is dying.  Players opt out. No one care about winning the Tostito Bowl anymore without a shot at the Natty.

You are infinitely better covnerting the top 8 bowls into the remaining playoff games.  You will get less kids opting out. They will be playing for something.

My view on a 12 team playoff is well known. It is not the right answer to the problems the game faces. I'd have been pro an expansion to 6 and run it like the NFL used to run its 6 team playoffs. #6 plays #3, #5 plays #4, the highest remaining of those plays #2 and the lowest remaining plays #1. 

However, you make a good point re. the Bowl games. That model is dead. It is the best argument for the expanded playoff. Personally, I'd prefer we just have a 6 team playoff and scrap bowl games. but if for financial reasons they have to stay (do they, I have no idea?) then you are probably right that converting them to CFP games makes some sense. 

My problem with college football is too few competitive games. Agree this year has been better as a rule on that, but I need to be persuaded that is part of a longer term trend. If bowl games are uncompetitive bad football - which in recent years they have been - then get rid of them!

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Another terrible championship game. They should move to the playoff next year or the committee should seriously vote who they think are they top 4 teams regardless of record.  No way TCU was a Top 4 team.  Alabama, LSU, and a host of other teams have more talent.  TCU is a four or more loss team in the SEC.  Ohio State probably a 2 or 3 loss team.  This has become a joke.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Another terrible championship game. They should move to the playoff next year or the committee should seriously vote who they think are they top 4 teams regardless of record.  No way TCU was a Top 4 team.  Alabama, LSU, and a host of other teams have more talent.  TCU is a four or more loss team in the SEC.  Ohio State probably a 2 or 3 loss team.  This has become a joke.  

The problem with that though is schedules, not playoffs. You are treating the symptom, not the cause. You have to have the regular season matter, so wins and losses have to matter. TCU earned that spot even if they were totally ill-equipped to compete.

Control of scheduling needs to be taken out of the hands of the colleges IMO and run centrally. That way even if you want to keep the conference play for historical reasons (again, I'd start with a blank sheet of paper and scrap it) you can ensure that there is genuine cross conference competition. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.