CFB Playoff Expansion to 12 teams approved

YoloinOhio

I hate it, well kind of, I will enjoy the extra football. 

I'm just wondering when we will just separate the teams from the schools. Student-athlete is a dated term, I'm all for the guys getting paid considering the situation they are in.

At some point though you have to admit you are a for profit semi pro league that has nothing to do with higher education.  

College football pageantry is destroyed, and with conference realignment it will only get worse. Bowl games were already meaningless, now with this expansion they may as well end them.

I do think they are putting the best "football" product first with this move, as well as paying the players. It isn't the best moves for preserving college football tradition though.

I'll stop my rant now 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I watched #11 Oregan last night get boatraced by the Bulldogs. I did not think we need more teams to determine who is best.

Lots of season left. Not sure Oregon will be #11.

I want more interconference play. I want teams like Cinci last year to play teams like TAM.

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Lots of season left. Not sure Oregon will be #11.

I want more interconference play. I want teams like Cinci last year to play teams like TAM.

No I doubt they will. But the point stands for me. We are just gonna have some one sides CFP Qrtr Finals. The big colleges are too dominant and the talent is not sufficiently evenly spread. Until there is a way to tackle that 12 team playoffs are not helping produce better competition. 

Maybe in the long run it helps improve the standard of some of the other conferences. 

On 9/4/2022 at 11:32 AM, GunnerBill said:

No I doubt they will. But the point stands for me. We are just gonna have some one sides CFP Qrtr Finals. The big colleges are too dominant and the talent is not sufficiently evenly spread. Until there is a way to tackle that 12 team playoffs are not helping produce better competition. 

Maybe in the long run it helps improve the standard of some of the other conferences. 

I see big teams like Bama, OSU, UGA etc taking the freedom to schedule some tough/profitable/entertaining games knowing even if they lose they still make the top 12.

So it's possible a highly touted NFL prospect may have to make the decision of playing three more games than they do now.  Thus, risking injury before the draft that could set you up for life financially.  The peer pressure to play from the fans, coaches, and teammates to play in the playoffs will be overwhelming.  College football has gone too far as the four team playoff format was fine.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is nonsense. Inevitable but nonsense. Yeah, put the winner of the Big 12 and the PAC 12 in the playoffs, despite their clear lack of talent.  😒 These conferences will soon be lucky to exist.

And let's be sure to bring in inferior Group of 5 teams and make the playoffs a complete farce.  

I said in another thread a few weeks ago that to me as a complete outsider that doesn't understand the intricacies of college football as a cultural phenomenon the reality is that as a sporting one, it's broken. The conference system is outdated, the scheduling is a joke and the whole NIL thing baffling. 

There are probably lots of reasons it can't ever happen but if you were starting again with a blank sheet of paper you would start with a "Premier Division" of college football, with two conferences (either east-west or north-south) of 12 teams, 11 games per regular season games and then a 4 team playoff where the winner of conference A plays the runner up of conference B and vice-versa. Then you'd have a regional structure below that with promotion and relegation playoffs in place of all the pointless "Pinstripe Bowl" games. 

I have serious reservations how long the sport can continue to thrive with so few competitive games between the top teams. Again, I know I don't have the same understanding of the history, the tradition and the cultural impact. But something needs to change IMO. 

EDIT: but the answer is not just to retain the status quo and extend the playoffs. That just produces more supposedly high stakes games - CFP Qrtr Finals etc - where there is no jeopardy and everyone knows the result before kickoff. 

Edited by GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have serious reservations how long the sport can continue to thrive with so few competitive games between the top teams. Again, I know I don't have the same understanding of the history, the tradition and the cultural impact. But something needs to change IMO. 

Yes, but what?  A few points.....

1) Now that players are getting paid, should we expect them to play even more games? Doing so gives them a much bigger risk of injury and perhaps losing out on a VERY lucrative NFL career. Some kids are already skipping bowl games.

2) Should winners of inferior conferences (Pac 12, Big 12) receive automatic playoff spots? These teams are perhaps as good as a middle of the pack SEC teams, if that.

3) Should Group of 5 teams also be ushered into these playoffs? How will they shape up against Bama, Georgia and OSU?

4) Depth will now be the biggest factor in winning championships rather than pure talent and superior coaching. I expect Coach Saban to pull players earlier than he seems to like. The backups are going to have to be ready because players will be going down. Of this I have zero doubt.

5) Perhaps conference title games should be eliminated. Will this happen? Of course not because they are pure profit.

6) Again, these are college students who are young, still growing, and should not have to play NFL schedules. How long before it is expanded again to 64 teams, in order to give even more second rate (or perhaps so-so) teams a playoff berth? What number of games is too many?

Coach Saban went to Alabama (which would seem to have less appeal to recruits than California and many other states) and built a championship team from one that had been playing poorly almost every season since they lost Bear Bryant. Perhaps other coaches should learn from him and copy his methods and work ethic. It worked for our own McDermott in using the term "process" that Saban invented. Maybe then they will find a way to consistantly beat him but no; it's easier to just change the rules.

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Yes, but what?  A few points.....

1) Now that players are getting paid, should we expect them to play even more games? Doing so gives them a much bigger risk of injury and perhaps losing out on a VERY lucrative NFL career. Some kids are already skipping bowl games.

2) Should winners of inferior conferences (Pac 12, Big 12) receive automatic playoff spots? These teams are perhaps as good as a middle of the pack SEC teams, if that.

3) Should Group of 5 teams also be ushered into these playoffs? How will they shape up against Bama, Georgia and OSU?

4) Depth will now be the biggest factor in winning championships rather than pure talent and superior coaching. I expect Coach Saban to pull players earlier than he seems to like. The backups are going to have to be ready because players will be going down. Of this I have zero doubt.

5) Perhaps conference title games should be eliminated. Will this happen? Of course not because they are pure profit.

6) Again, these are college students who are young, still growing, and should not have to play NFL schedules. How long before it is expanded again to 64 teams, in order to give even more second rate (or perhaps so-so) teams a playoff berth? What number of games is too many?

Coach Saban went to Alabama (which would seem to have less appeal to recruits than California and many other states) and built a championship team from one that had been playing poorly almost every season since they lost Bear Bryant. Perhaps other coaches should learn from him and copy his methods and work ethic. It worked for our own McDermott in using the term "process" that Saban invented. Maybe then they will find a way to consistantly beat him but no; it's easier to just change the rules.

Again, I agree. The thing that needs to change is not extending the playoffs. We don't need more games in college football. We need more competition. 

The current system is fundamentally broken. As for what should change, I've given you my solution - it needs root and branch reform and there are probably lots of reasons why it won't happen. But the status quo plus an expanded playoff is the worst of all words. 

Edited by GunnerBill

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, I agree. The thing that needs to change is not extending the playoffs. We don't need more games in college football. We need more competition. 

The current system is fundamentally broken. As for what should change, I've given you my solution - it needs root and branch reform and there are probably lots of reasons why it won't happen. But the status quo plus an expanded playoff is the worst of all words. 

I agree 100%!!!

Btw another example I could point to is Clemson. Are they a very good team? Absolutely. Are they well coached? Yes. Are there any other good teams in their conference? Well, Miami is now well coached and will almost certainly improve. Who else? I think no other team in the ACC is all that good. Clemson (again, a VERY good team) gets to feast on nobodies and gets into the playofs less banged up amd more rested than their opponents., while teams like OSU, Michigan and SEC Teams are tested quite often.

As for me, I would be open to schedule reform but it doesn't matter what I think.

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I agree 100%!!!

Btw another example I could point to is Clemson. Are they a very good team? Absolutely. Are they well coached? Yes. Are there any other good teams in their conference? Well, Miami is now well coached and will almost certainly improve. Who else? I think no other team in the ACC is all that good. Clemson (again, a VERY good team) gets to feast on nobodies and gets into the playofs less banged up amd more rested than their opponents., while teams like OSU, Michigan and SEC Teams are tested quite often.

As for me, I would be open to schedule reform but it doesn't matter what I think.

It needs schedule reform and conference reform as an absolute minimum. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

100% disagree. The whole point of expanding the playoffs is to see quality teams play quality teams. 

The way college football is set up, these power 5 teams have 2-4 cupcakes on the schedule every year. As much as I respect our resident Bama and OSU fans, they complain about postseason blowouts and “wastes” but not playing Eastern Southwestern Presbyterian College and winning by 100 2-3 times a year.

I would 1 million times rather see Bama play a 6 seed TCU over ESPC. So would any fan of the sport of college football. So that’s why they are expanding. If you say, “well that’s too many games” then eliminate those cupcakes and expand it. 

The fans of the big 4 perennial playoff teams don’t want expansion because the more quality teams they have to face to win, the harder it gets. An extra game against some Big 12 dark horse is an extra chance for them to have a couple CFB plays and shockingly lose. They would rather just take their chances with Georgia again in the final instead. No effing thanks.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

This is nonsense. Inevitable but nonsense. Yeah, put the winner of the Big 12 and the PAC 12 in the playoffs, despite their clear lack of talent.  😒 These conferences will soon be lucky to exist.

And let's be sure to bring in inferior Group of 5 teams and make the playoffs a complete farce.  

Only SEC fans... mainly Alabama fans... have a real issue with an expanded playoffs and it's hilarious. The thought that the Big XII or even the PAC 12 can't hang with other conferences is just flat out incorrect. It's a crock of sh*t actually to think no one can hang with the mighty SEC. Why have NCAA basketball tournaments?  And what other conferences are better than the Big XII as a whole? ACC? No. Big 10? No. Pac-12 No. SEC? Top 2 teams? Yes. At times conferences have a bad run, like the Pac-12 is currently having... but most come around. You, as a Bama fan, should know that. Bama went a good decade (like 1997-2007) just sucking ass. The one good year you had, you cheated and got caught.

But lets look at the 2021-22 post season.... 

NY6 Bowls (Big XII, not counting CFP games) 

#9 Oklahoma State 37

#5 Notre Dame 35

#7 Baylor 21

#9 Ole Miss 7

SEC v Big XII (in other bowls)

Texas Tech 34

Miss Stat 7

Kansas State 42

LSU 20

SEC vs Everyone else

Army 24

Missouri 22

UCF 29

Florida 17

Houston 17

Auburn 13

Purdue 48

Tennessee 45

S. Carolina 38

N. Carolina 21

Arkansas 24

Penn State 10

Kentucky 20

Iowa 17

Then the playoffs of course, which again... you have Alabama and UGA. Two best teams in the country in... yes.. the best conference. The SEC had a LOSING record in the Bowl games last year vs the weaker conferences.

But stop with the BS that the Big XII or (or anyone else really) are pathetic compared to the mighty SEC. It's just a moronic statement. Maybe you don't want it to be expanded because your mighty Alabama Crimson Tide might have a more difficult time playing for the ship? 

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

100% disagree. The whole point of expanding the playoffs is to see quality teams play quality teams. 

The way college football is set up, these power 5 teams have 2-4 cupcakes on the schedule every year. As much as I respect our resident Bama and OSU fans, they complain about postseason blowouts and “wastes” but not playing Eastern Southwestern Presbyterian College and winning by 100 2-3 times a year.

I would 1 million times rather see Bama play a 6 seed TCU over ESPC. So would any fan of the sport of college football. So that’s why they are expanding. If you say, “well that’s too many games” then eliminate those cupcakes and expand it. 

The fans of the big 4 perennial playoff teams don’t want expansion because the more quality teams they have to face to win, the harder it gets. An extra game against some Big 12 dark horse is an extra chance for them to have a couple CFB plays and shockingly lose. They would rather just take their chances with Georgia again in the final instead. No effing thanks.

The ones against it are the ones who just want their team in the top 4 every year, they're afraid of getting knocked off by a team who might pull together a better game plan. I only see Bama fans hate the idea of expansion. I'm glad we are doing it. A team like Oklahoma State or Baylor last season (who had arguably the two best defenses in college football) could have surprised anyone in the top 4. 

49 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Only SEC fans... mainly Alabama fans... have a real issue with an expanded playoffs and it's hilarious. The thought that the Big XII or even the PAC 12 can't hang with other conferences is just flat out incorrect. It's a crock of sh*t actually to think no one can hang with the mighty SEC. Why have NCAA basketball tournaments?  And what other conferences are better than the Big XII as a whole? ACC? No. Big 10? No. Pac-12 No. SEC? Top 2 teams? Yes. At times conferences have a bad run, like the Pac-12 is currently having... but most come around. You, as a Bama fan, should know that. Bama went a good decade (like 1997-2007) just sucking ass. The one good year you had, you cheated and got caught.

But lets look at the 2021-22 post season.... 

NY6 Bowls (Big XII, not counting CFP games) 

#9 Oklahoma State 37

#5 Notre Dame 35

#7 Baylor 21

#9 Ole Miss 7

SEC v Big XII (in other bowls)

Texas Tech 34

Miss Stat 7

Kansas State 42

LSU 20

SEC vs Everyone else

Army 24

Missouri 22

UCF 29

Florida 17

Houston 17

Auburn 13

Purdue 48

Tennessee 45

S. Carolina 38

N. Carolina 21

Arkansas 24

Penn State 10

Kentucky 20

Iowa 17

Then the playoffs of course, which again... you have Alabama and UGA. Two best teams in the country in... yes.. the best conference. The SEC had a LOSING record in the Bowl games last year vs the weaker conferences.

But stop with the BS that the Big XII or (or anyone else really) are pathetic compared to the mighty SEC. It's just a moronic statement. Maybe you don't want it to be expanded because your mighty Alabama Crimson Tide might have a more difficult time playing for the ship? 

The ones against it are the ones who just want their team in the top 4 every year, they're afraid of getting knocked off by a team who might pull together a better game plan. I only see Bama fans hate the idea of expansion. I'm glad we are doing it. A team like Oklahoma State or Baylor last season (who had arguably the two best defenses in college football) could have surprised anyone in the top 4. 

Any argument against CFP expansion boils down to:

"I just want to play Georgia or Michigan and then punch my ticket to the final."

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.