Josh Allen is the NFL's Ultimate "Ultimate Weapon": What's Next? (Great article, paywall)

Logic

3 hours ago, Logic said:

Excellent article on The Athletic today. I'll post just the opening, but it's a long and great read. Highly recommended.

https://theathletic.com/3546121/2022/09/01/josh-allen-bills/

The story is written by Timmy Graham, which means it's going to be long. This guy really needs an editor. Very little that we aren't aware of. FWIW: This story reads like a total ballwash.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

29 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Money isn't the only factor that keeps top athletes away from football. In football, you have to take hits. It's more of a physical fight than any other ball sport outside of rugby.

You're forgetting soccer. Do you see how bad some of those guys get hurt?

2Hi0.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, notwoz said:

The story is written by Timmy Graham, which means it's going to be long. This guy really needs an editor. Very little that we aren't aware of. FWIW: This story reads like a total ballwash.

I enjoyed the read.

I did not find it too long.

You say "very little that we aren't aware of", but I had never heard the Parcells quotes, the Phil Simms quotes, or the John Madden quotes. I, personally, thought it was pretty cool to hear what a few legends of the game think of Josh -- particularly the stuff about Madden, which I hadn't heard before.

To each their own.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I enjoyed the read.

I did not find it too long.

You say "very little that we aren't aware of", but I had never heard the Parcells quotes, the Phil Simms quotes, or the John Madden quotes. I, personally, thought it was pretty cool to hear what a few legends of the game think of Josh -- particularly the stuff about Madden, which I hadn't heard before.

To each their own.

John Madden's been dead since December 2021. He dug up those quotes from some long-ago story. 

• Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Nothing new here for any Bill fans.

One other attribute of Josh Allen, his teammates and his fan base genuinely love him, he was made for WNY.

Thank God we signed him when we did, try doing the contract now, good luck.

this!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, notwoz said:

John Madden's been dead since December 2021. He dug up those quotes from some long-ago story. 

Wait, really? Madden's dead? 🙄

His opinion of Allen was new information to me, and I would bet it's new information to most who read it. I don't ever recall hearing it before. Do you?

You seem grumpy. I hope everything's okay.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CSBill said:

And it has made such things free. 

The change has not come without a cost.

The rise of free articles on the internet has led to the death of newspapers across the country, the defunding of numerous publications' sports departments, and the decline in quality in journalism across the spectrum.

Those outlets that still provide quality journalism are often only able to pay their journalists by charging a subscription fee. Many people, myself included, are happy to pay that fee in order to support those journalists and have access to that quality material.

Those that complain about paywalls for articles are often also the first in line to complain about the downfall of journalism in America and the poor quality of sports content. Can't have it both ways.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Logic said:

The rise of free articles on the internet has led to the death of newspapers across the country, the defunding of numerous publications' sports departments, and the decline in quality in journalism across the spectrum.

Those outlets that still provide quality journalism are often only able to pay their journalists by charging a subscription fee. Many people, myself included, are happy to pay that fee in order to support those journalists and have access to that quality material.

Those that complain about paywalls for articles are often also the first in line to complain about the downfall of journalism in America and the poor quality of sports content. Can't have it both ways.

Amen

8 hours ago, Buffalo68 said:

Freaking Athletic charges to access the article. Already pay for Buff News...

A little trick to try if you have an iPhone. 
Click the article. When the membership offer comes up, click the small A large A in the address bar (or newer iPhones will say “reader available”). It bypasssed the paywall for me and I could read the whole article. 
I use this often when I want to read something without all the annoying banners, ads, and pop up’s.

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

Nevermind the ABSOLUTE NECESSITY of objective journalism to a functioning democracy. Or for that matter, a populace able to discern fact from fiction, and priority from frivolity. 

Nonetheless, I like the reporting I read from The Athletic. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I encourage Bills fans to take a step back and simply enjoy whatever run we have with Josh.  The “we have to win the SB this year or the season is a failure” mentality is, in my own insignificant opinion, unhealthy.

As the article suggests, JA is probably a once-in-a-lifetime talent — not a trend of NFL QBs into the future.  If things progress as they should, the championships will follow given the strong organizational structure in Buffalo.

I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, eball said:

I encourage Bills fans to take a step back and simply enjoy whatever run we have with Josh.  The “we have to win the SB this year or the season is a failure” mentality is, in my own insignificant opinion, unhealthy.

As the article suggests, JA is probably a once-in-a-lifetime talent — not a trend of NFL QBs into the future.  If things progress as they should, the championships will follow given the strong organizational structure in Buffalo.

I’m going to enjoy the hell out of this.

This is where I'm at. I just want to watch great football. Their accomplishments don't really mean anything to me.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.