Diagnosed with autism

Another Fan

well, I have very personal testimony regarding the autism spectrum and how it relates to both folks who have that diagnosis AND their parents. In this case I am the mom and my 36 year old daughter on the spectrum. Oh the journey I could share. At age 3 she was dignosed with "pervasive developmental disorder" ...The terminology has changed a Lot since 1989 as well as knowledge relating to it. Early intervention is the main focus with organizations like Autism Speaks and Autism Tree foundation whom fundraise money to offer those interventions to those in need.   My daughter is socially awkward around people she dosnt know. She is very high functioning, holds a job, has her license, has friends, lives at home with us and is living her best life. I don't really know what else to write except she was non verbal at age 5 to being a college graduate and very contributing member of society today. we call her goonie, goonette or goonasaur. She has a wicked sense of humor. Eclectic taste in music. Some people claim autism as their super power. HA! Rightfully so.

m

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

4 hours ago, muppy said:

well, I have very personal testimony regarding the autism spectrum and how it relates to both folks who have that diagnosis AND their parents. In this case I am the mom and my 36 year old daughter on the spectrum. Oh the journey I could share. At age 3 she was dignosed with "pervasive developmental disorder" ...The terminology has changed a Lot since 1989 as well as knowledge relating to it. Early intervention is the main focus with organizations like Autism Speaks and Autism Tree foundation whom fundraise money to offer those interventions to those in need.   My daughter is socially awkward around people she dosnt know. She is very high functioning, holds a job, has her license, has friends, lives at home with us and is living her best life. I don't really know what else to write except she was non verbal at age 5 to being a college graduate and very contributing member of society today. we call her goonie, goonette or goonasaur. She has a wicked sense of humor. Eclectic taste in music. Some people claim autism as their super power. HA! Rightfully so.

m

This is a great testimonial!  Does your daughter choose to live at home because it's her comfort zone, or would she struggle living on her own?

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is a great testimonial!  Does your daughter choose to live at home because it's her comfort zone, or would she struggle living on her own?

Both. She would be leaving behind her dog as well as a very comfortable home. It ain't  happening. We do charge her rent but its not what it would cost to live here. San Diego= super high rents.  She went to college in Boston (Berklee-Boston Conservatory) and is a professional cabaret singer as a passion project.

Katrina Aguilar Music input on facebook or youtube

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

On 9/1/2022 at 1:00 PM, Another Fan said:

Or autism spectrum disorder as it’s now called.  As more time passes I’m a little more comfortable talking about it.

Will try and not make this too much a LAMP post but thanks to all here who have listened to me through the years….   you know who you are

Ill leave it as while I’m often nostalgic for a lot of stuff in the past, this condition was never really properly understood when I was a kid.  Could have saved me lots of grief but that is what that is.  

If you have a child who displays symptoms my advise is still pay whatever money it is to get the best and most thorough evaluations done.  It could go unnoticed otherwise 

Very sorry to hear that. I figured out later in life I'm a bit dyslexic (which explains a lot from earlier in my life). I also have some ADD/ADHD and (according to an old boss) perhaps a touch of Tourette's syndrome. 😄.  These are spectrums after all, and we may find ourselves on it somewhere, even if it is at the lower end of that spectrum. I'm extremely happy I wasn't diagnosed earlier in life, as I probably would have been medicated and experienced a completely different life. But I do understand (depending on the diagnosis and severity of it) one would want to find out earlier in life.

BTW, I just found out today I have throat cancer. I don't think it's anything too serious, but when I get back from vacation I guess I'll have to figure it out. I guess my point it, try not to worry. Worry doesn't help anything, as far as I'm concerned. It only takes. Healthy concern is fine (making sure you are following the doctor's instructions, taking care of yourself, etc)  But worry only make things worse, IMO.

When the PA said "try not to worry too much", I basically said to her what I just said. Her response:  "I'm not there yet. I'm trying, but I haven't gotten to that point."  I told her, medical marijuana helps a lot!  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, The Dean said:

Very sorry to hear that. I figured out later in life I'm a bit dyslexic (which explains a lot from earlier in my life). I also have some ADD/ADHD and (according to an old boss) perhaps a touch of Tourette's syndrome. 😄.  These are spectrums after all, and we may find ourselves on it somewhere, even if it is at the lower end of that spectrum. I'm extremely happy I wasn't diagnosed earlier in life, as I probably would have been medicated and experienced a completely different life. But I do understand (depending on the diagnosis and severity of it) one would want to find out earlier in life.

BTW, I just found out today I have throat cancer. I don't think it's anything too serious, but when I get back from vacation I guess I'll have to figure it out. I guess my point it, try not to worry. Worry doesn't help anything, as far as I'm concerned. It only takes. Healthy concern is fine (making sure you are following the doctor's instructions, taking care of yourself, etc)  But worry only make things worse, IMO.

When the PA said "try not to worry too much", I basically said to her what I just said. Her response:  "I'm not there yet. I'm trying, but I haven't gotten to that point."  I told her, medical marijuana helps a lot!  

all the best 

• Agree 4

On 9/1/2022 at 5:27 PM, Another Fan said:

Short answer is communication and anxiety issues have always plagued me.  I can’t go backwards but at least I have an understanding of why some of that happened.  And things I know to work on going forward.  Ex: interpersonal skills 

If you got officially diagnosed was it recently?   

Just that the Asperger’s diagnosis went away.  It’s just now called autism spectrum disorder where it’s all lumped into one diagnosis 

I have a mild form of aspergers.

i see a distinction between it and autism. Aspergers didn’t go away. It’s just bern down graded.  Similar to asthma or food being specific types of lung diseases group.

i have never been formerly diagnosed.

a cousin of mine growing up on my dads side had classic text book autism.  She was the same age as my sister.  Her grandma and out grandma were sisters.  I saw it first hand when seeing her a few times a year at family stuff. She was later diagnosed with schizophrenia on top of it.  Only her older sister s seems be able to control her so she has been her caregiver/ watching over her.

but on my mothers side of the family there is I strong feel is some aspergers lite type of gene.

thr gene is harder to tell in women because of socially accepted norms.  In the family tree my mom was the oldest.

mom *

—me*

—brother—son 1* son 2

—sister

sister 1

–son 1

–son 2*

—son 3

sister 2*

—daughter

sister 3

—son 1 *

—son 2

brother*

—daughter

—son 1

—son 2*

* likely have the gene.

cousins have children but I don’t see them enough to know if it’s passed to them.

my mom and her sister were high IQ types but more loners/ to themselves where they had a few close friends in their lives.  My aunt worked as a paralegal but likely would be a lawyer today like her daughter did.  My mom was stay at home till we were all full time school then worked secondary jobs.  She started in college which is where she met my dad.  She woukd have been a career woman today.

One cousin of mine is an MD and the other is a pharmacist.  Other members of the family are smart but from a pure IQ level the gene skews higher.  I was hurt by having meningitis/ seizures as a child ehich likely hurt my brain development in areas from being clearly higher IQ than my brother.  We are about the same.  

i realized this as an adult about 15-20 years ago when I found out I had a condition of prosopagnosia. Found an online group. In sharing stories I learned more about aspergers. Others sharing their stories I realized I had some similarities. There is also high correlation between having aspie/ austism and also likely having prosopagnosia.

my brother is a university professor who has done research on test book aspie patients. I mentioned to him I think I have some form of it and he realized after looking at me clinically.  My neurologist also saw it as well.

my form isn’t obvious.

this gene I think also Carrie’s a social awkwardness as well.  It’s always difgicult for me when it comes to relationships and trying to read people non verbally.  Online dating sites have helped me considerably because it got me past those initial steps and just focus on getting to know the person.  

Pre OLD I had female friends and coukd talk to them.  The problem always was asking them out on a date.  It was even worse for random meetings.  If something happened that naturally started a conversation then I was good. I r had better luck in situations of slowly getting to know them where you might see this person once a week in a college class and gradually talked more after class.

while thru work I would never date an immediate coworkers who I worked with regularly.  I would date someone I might have met thru a special project from an office I wouldn't work with or thru shared lunch room or building lunch stops.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 9/6/2022 at 12:19 PM, boater said:

You can still be highly functional. Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is believed to be on the spectrum. Google it.

many people would be surprised to know of famous people on the autistic spectrum . Just off the top of my head" Albert Einstein, Susan Boyle, Woody Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Neil Young, Darryl Hannah. 

• Like (+1) 1

As I said in the OP kids or really anyone having knowledge of this stuff is a good thing.  Despite imo still very sadly the stigma it may carry.

Like today at work I got talked too about how to handle a social situation at work better.  Prior that could even have got me in crisis mode where I’ve punched myself repeatedly in the chest at times among other issues like that.  

But with the knowledge it’s something for me to size up and see what I could do better.  And be heard as well to express my point of view

52 minutes ago, muppy said:

many people would be surprised to know of famous people on the autistic spectrum . Just off the top of my head" Albert Einstein, Susan Boyle, Woody Allen, Dan Aykroyd, Neil Young, Darryl Hannah. 

1st athlete I am aware of to be open about his experiences

https://www.fox26houston.com/news/former-nfl-player-joe-barksdale-autism-diagnosis.amp

• Thank you (+1) 1

@Simon

Please take a moment to read this thread and then think how one can work with people who’s brains are wired differently 

Autism Awareness GIF by Creative Courage

its called a puzzle for a reason 

Even police undergo training 

https://www.autismspeaks.org/information-law-enforcement

We are not asking for special treatment 

Just an understanding 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

28 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

@Simon

Please take a moment to read this thread and then think how one can work with people who’s brains are wired differently 

Autism Awareness GIF by Creative Courage

its called a puzzle for a reason 

Even police undergo training 

https://www.autismspeaks.org/information-law-enforcement

We are not asking for special treatment 

Just an understanding 

https://en.uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Neurotypical_syndrome

Everyone should accommodate to us lol 

2 hours ago, muppy said:

I’d be hard to classify Einstein when he’s never been tested

It’s a hypothesis 

Edited by Buffalo716

I normally just lurk, so forgive my interruption…

My son is now 27, and completely non-verbal.  The way I describe it to people is being a caregiver to the world’s largest (~300lb, 6’-1”) overtired two-year old.  Although there is no malice, there is a lot of violence (mostly self-injurious, but not exclusively) and destruction of property.  I’d be happy to expand on our story if there is any interest but…

My point in interjecting is to say that the wife and I often feel blessed that he lacks the mentally capacity to have awareness of the level of his disability – and sincerely feel for the parents of higher-functioning autistic kids.  They have the tougher road.  Because my son is low functioning, we can provide him with happiness (in his own fashion).  There is some solace in that we can at least do this.

We know a number (!) of suicides in higher functioning autistic people.  There is a social expectation that a high-functioning person can “focus” their way to “normal” (whatever “normal” means).  It’s like trying to “focus” their way out of color-blindness – and it not only tends to fail, but creates a lot of unhappiness along the way.

Thank you to the OP for posting this very important topic.  Diagnosis is key, but it’s just the beginning.  If anyone out there is on the spectrum or has a child that is – please avail yourself of whatever help/support you can get through family and support services.  It’s a long race.  Get intervention as early as possible and be active in demanding all the social support you can get.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

@Simon

So I gave you one warning point for the only time in five years when you dragged a bunch of Trump garbage into an irrelevant thread, and now I don't understand autism?

Maybe I work with special needs kids every single day.

Maybe I'm even further along the spectrum than you.

You have no idea so I'd suggest you keep that insulting nonsense to yourself from now on.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.