Beane addresses the 53- man roster decisions

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, uninja said:

feel like that sends a terrible signal to the locker room. It goes against the culture of earning your place and the right to play. Your best players make the 53, period. 

How do you know that is not the case?  Maybe there was something in film study or practice that the coaches felt gave the edge to Sweeney and Morris, and also felt they have the ability to improve on the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Beane thinks he sucks and isn’t worth the roster spot. I think he was talking him up like he would “have him back” (lol) so that another team like the bengals signs him thinking there could be something there, and he can recoup some of the dead cap. I don’t think it really was a tough decision outside if the gtd money. 

Same, if they're close you go with the guy who's new in the system and might get better as the season goes.

23 minutes ago, uninja said:

feel like that sends a terrible signal to the locker room. It goes against the culture of earning your place and the right to play. Your best players make the 53, period. 

That may sound like a simple bumper sticker rule but I'm sure GMs and HCs don't lock themselves in to that.

Examples can be many.  An aging player who is still a bit better than a younger guy with upside is one.

Cap considerations are another.

BB in NE was always quoted as saying getting rid of a player one year before his time is sometimes the best move.

I hate giving him credit for doing that, but he is right.

I understand your opinion, but I just don't like absolutes.

57 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Beane thinks he sucks and isn’t worth the roster spot. I think he was talking him up like he would “have him back” (lol) so that another team like the bengals signs him thinking there could be something there, and he can recoup some of the dead cap. I don’t think it really was a tough decision outside if the gtd money. 

If another teams signs him to a new contract the Bills get cap $$ back??

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Love how Beane can just make ***** up like wanted a veteran punter, when they had just given the job to a rookie.  No one in the media even bothers to say yeah but???

After the rookie was cut and they need a punter now, yes, a veteran was needed.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Love how Beane can just make ***** up like wanted a veteran punter, when they had just given the job to a rookie.  No one in the media even bothers to say yeah but???

He didn’t say I wanted a veteran punter all along.  He said right now they wanted a veteran punter because they needed someone that could get in and adapt to the holding within 5-6 practices. 

Pretty sure the media all understood that.

He was going with a rookie that had 4 months to get up to speed - now there is a week.  🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

We want a veteran punter since we are 1 week from kickoff and they need to work on all facets of special teams.

It might be a different answer if it 4 months from kick-off and they have all of training camp to work on snaps and holds.

We we’re prepared to go with a rookie that had 3 months practice showing he could handle the holding - at this time rather than grab another rookie that was cut - you go with someone you can trust to be ready in 8 days.

I understand the rationale. I agree with it. I was attempting to explicate the nature of the "confusion" expressed by the post that was responded to by the post I answered. I think the nature of the prior post was misunderstood and thought I would clarify. Alas, it was a minor point and has now engendered more response than merited.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Three on one side and two on the other… did they photoshop Tre out of the picture 🥺

That would seem to make sense; 3 O, 3 D, and Josh.  Surprised they wouldn't stick Poyer or Hyde in there.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:14 PM, ngbills said:

OJ Howard is my least favorite move. Especially hearing Beane say it came down to the wire. If it was such a tough choice I would have kept him and put Sweeney or Morris on the PS. Paying him anyway so could have cut him anytime if needed. 

I think it was tough for Beane because Sweeney and Morris likely would have been claimed off waivers leaving Beane no choice but to cut Howard.  Not a good look for Beane.

23 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

I understand the rationale. I agree with it. I was attempting to explicate the nature of the "confusion" expressed by the post that was responded to by the post I answered. I think the nature of the prior post was misunderstood and thought I would clarify. Alas, it was a minor point and has now engendered more response than merited.

Ok, Shakespeare 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.