Russell Wilson’s new contract launches him to 2nd most QB guaranteed $

YoloinOhio

40 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Time will tell. Really depends on how much his play falls off while he’s still got big guarantees. 

you think the contract would cause a fall off in play?

59 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

But that's not the projection this season with Wilson.

They won't be worse than last year.   They will compete for the division title.

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

you think the contract would cause a fall off in play?

I really did not think my point was that difficult to understand. The new contract extension (as understood now) guarantees that Wilson will be a Bronco for at least 4 seasons and that he is near the top of the market in AAV. His play fell off last season and he turns 34 in November. So the big risk is that his play continues to fall off while the Broncos are stuck with him for multiple seasons at a very high salary and cap hit. 

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I really did not think my point was that difficult to understand. The new contract extension (as understood now) guarantees that Wilson will be a Bronco for at least 4 seasons and that he is near the top of the market in AAV. His play fell off last season and he turns 34 in November. So the big risk is that his play continues to fall off while the Broncos are stuck with him for multiple seasons at a very high salary and cap hit. 

His play fell of because his team wasn't very good.  He is on a better team now.  I said this twice.   

How would AAron Rodgers have played on that team the past few years.  Packers are paying that old man a ton and that roster is worse now than it has been in a few years--they are stuck paying him. 

This is a smart move for the Broncos.  Wilson is in his prime with years to go. He's a franchise QB getting paid as such with skyrocketing salary caps for years to come.

Pretty simple, really.....

48 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

His play fell of because his team wasn't very good.  He is on a better team now.  I said this twice.   

How would AAron Rodgers have played on that team the past few years.  Packers are paying that old man a ton and that roster is worse now than it has been in a few years--they are stuck paying him. 

This is a smart move for the Broncos.  Wilson is in his prime with years to go. He's a franchise QB getting paid as such with skyrocketing salary caps for years to come.

Yeah. I understood your argument the first time. I just stated why it here’s a good chance it’s wrong. But we will have to watch a few seasons of Wilson to find out who got this one right. Just have to wait and see. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Yeah. I think this contract was pure malfeasance by Elway. 

The two Broncos players who I waited on at Vonn Miller's table the night before that Kids Day preseason game DEFINITELY don't respect Elway's leadership style/personality: as Miller told an interesting and complimentary story about himself and McD at training camp (related to camp rules and McD's direct, respectful approach to a specific, unreported disciplinary matter), the Broncos guys, one especially, took that opportunity to remark how DIFFERENT Elway is, interpersonally, in a negative way: the kind of guy who thinks HE knows EVERYthing and no one else knows ANYthing, in any room he's in (rough paraphrase). 

2 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

No…he is not.  

Was Pres of Football Ops until this offseason. Now a "Consultant." Def still had the ear of ownership right up until the recent sale. Doubt he maintains the same clout moving forward, right? And also, sorry to hear that for fans of competing AFC West orgs...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:02 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

It'll be interesting to see what Lamar Jackson gets.

On 9/1/2022 at 9:04 AM, aristocrat said:

just gonna say that. He wants a fully guaranteed deal it seems though 

Was reading an article the other day in the Athletic.  Says that the longer Jackson  contract goes on, likely the more he'll get.  But whatever he gets, he probably could have done better if he had an agent and their team working with him.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/1/2022 at 6:19 AM, KHAN said:

Russ will be 34 in November. Smaller guy, with a lot of wear and tear. He belongs on the list of top tier QB's for sure. But I see him falling off a cliff at an age much before someone like Rodgers.

Last year was the first time Russ missed time due to injury and it was a finger or thumb. He honestly hasn’t been very injury prone, and he doesn’t scramble like he used to. There isn’t any indication that he is about to fall off of the cliff anytime soon, especially considering the recent trend of QB longevity, which can most likely be attributed to the protections qb’s have had the last handful of years. 

23 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

His play also fell because he had a thumb injury where he tore a tendon.

He should be better this season.

With that defense he doesn't have to be elite just very good.

I wouldn't be surprised if they won the division 

• Like (+1) 1

Wilson is worth the money.  Proven elite QB's are tough to find. Wilson is 9-7 in playoffs and has a Super Bowl ring.  

He is worth a heck of a lot more money than Watson or Jackson who are a combined 2-5 in the playoffs. 

Watson is not right in the head. Apparently neither is the Browns GM. 

Jackson can't throw the ball like an elite QB and coordinators have figured him out.  Jackson had 16 passing TD's and 13 INT last year.  That was his 4th NFL season. That is not an elite quarterback. Jackson should take whatever he can get now. He will be fighting for a starting job in a few years from now.  

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bills2022 said:

Wilson is worth the money.  Proven elite QB's are tough to find. Wilson is 9-7 in playoffs and has a Super Bowl ring.  

He is worth a heck of a lot more money than Watson or Jackson who are a combined 2-5 in the playoffs. 

Watson is not right in the head. Apparently neither is the Browns GM. 

Jackson can't throw the ball like an elite QB and coordinators have figured him out.  Jackson had 16 passing TD's and 13 INT last year.  That was his 4th NFL season. That is not an elite quarterback. Jackson should take whatever he can get now. He will be fighting for a starting job in a few years from now.  

Lamar Jackson has regressed mightily as predicted the past two years. 

The dolphins zero blitzed him 36x last year and he was horrid. It was embarrassing for a 4th year qb

The pistol he ran in 19 was very much a gimmick offense, similar to the wildcat, and he can be dangerous in rpo concepts. Mainly because it forces man coverage and is a dummy proof offense. 

Once teams zeroed in on that, he's been really really bad outside of him using his legs for rushing yards 

I think his career is very much at a crossroads and if he keeps regressing , he'll go down the same path as Kaepernick, Tebow, etc. 

Nothing wrong with being a mobile QB

Roger staubach

Elway 

Randall Cunningham

Andrew Luck 

Mahomes

Allen

Etc. But you must be able to make plays as a pocket passer at an advanced level or you will wash out.

Maybe, a huge maybe, if you could build a historical oline and defense like 95 Nebraska, you can win big that way. But it has never been done in the NFL 

8 hours ago, Mynamemike said:

If Josh balls out again next year I expect a nice little bump in his salary moving forward.  His contract was such a steal looking at some of the money these other guys are getting.  Another smart move by Beane locking him up early.

Allen and mahomes both said they aren't Changing their contact. They both signed long term for a reason and want to win 

Edited by Forlorn hope
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.