Titans are encouraging Brett, whom they cut, to stay on the ready in the event their rookie doesn't cut it.

I don't see any reason it wouldn't be legal.

They're not COMPELLING him to stick around, they're just asking him.

He could easily say "nope, I'm gonna go take a job somewhere else".

If he willingly chooses to stay unemployed based on the hope that he MIGHT get called back to duty, that's his choice.

Now if the Titans were secretly slipping him money under the table, that would be a different story. But we have no reason to believe that's the case. I assume Kern just has a comfortable life in Tennessee and doesn't want to relocate his family.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This happens all the time. I used to live in a suburb of Cleveland where a lot of players and FO people lived. Kids went to the same daycares, schools, pool, etc. Players that bounced around the bottom of the roster and PS were often told this. Doesn’t mean they should wait for that call and turn down another offer, just that they should stay in shape because they might be wanted. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

He's old and has a family.  He doesn't need to leave his comfortable life.  He can just retire if he doesn't go back to TN.

This. This would be his 15th season, he’s already made $28M and the Titans gave him a $550k signing bonus this off-season.

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Is this legal?

The legality, not the player

Isn’t this essentially what the Bills did with Matt Barkley yesterday.

You are a vested veteran- stay around and maybe we can find a spot for you.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Isn’t this essentially what the Bills did with Matt Barkley yesterday.

You are a vested veteran- stay around and maybe we can find a spot for you.

Not really the same at all teams keep PS QBs/QB room QBs all the time, not sure how many teams even carry punters on the PS and nobody was telling Barkley to turn down a backup QB job let alone a starting one.

Just now, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

i don’t know. 
could be. 

were teams interested in signing Matt?

Who knows - could the Giants have been interested - that was reported/rumored?

The fact is most cuts get told something similar and if they like the organization - they may or may not do it depending on the ask and offer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think it's only illegal if he's under contract with another team. 

Say the Bills told obj that they were interested in him while he was under contract with LA, that's what the tampering rule covers. 

Telling a FA they are interested in him sticking around is the same as Beane calling me up and saying they are interested in me sticking around. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.