2022 U.S. Open - Jessica Pegula (8) Loses to Świątek (1) in Quarterfinals 😭

Gugny

4 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I’d be curious to hear more about this… I hate the Yankees but they consistently have the highest payroll in baseball? What are they supposed to be doing? 

I believe they’ve had the highest payroll in MLB since Hal took over in 2012.

The Yankees consistently have a top 3-4 payroll in the league..........not the highest.........that is usually the Dodgers recently.........though the Red Sox in other years have been at the top.   The Mets ownership went all in to be the top spender this year and it's even helped them overcome being Metsy.   The willingness to spend the extra $20M-$50M matters A LOT.

All those teams are also big markets but their revenues and franchise worth are dwarfed by the Yankees.

The Yankees $240M payroll in 2004 was higher on $300M in revenue versus in 2019 on $900M in revenue.

So basically the father was cool with $50M in profits and being all-in on competing for a title.........while the son needs over $600M in profits and is satisfied with making a wildcard appearance most years.    And Hal has the audacity to use the "cash to cap" type excuse that no team lost more revenue due to the pandemic.   Yeah, that's what happens when you make multitudes more revenue than other teams.........you have more revenue to lose.  :doh:

There is no salary cap in baseball...........but there is a luxury tax and the greedy Hal would rather hover near the tax threshold......and lose to teams that are either spending more to add scale-tipping talents to their roster........or teams that are in a cycle of dominance due to years of drafting at the top.........than share a dime with his fellow partners in league ownership by spending what it takes to overcome the natural regression that comes from winning records every year and never drafting early or being able to sacrifice success to develop talent.

• Gugny changed the title to 2022 U.S. Open (Tennis) - Jessica Pegula (8) - Onto Round 4
5 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

Have you ever tried watching a Bills game with the sound turned off?  I do this at times and the games are less stressful to watch.  

As I tend to know what's going to happen before it does, it doesn't usually affect me, but perhaps I should try it. 😅

ESPN Stats & Info’s Tweets

ESPN Stats & Info

@ESPNStatsInfo

·

7m

Jessica Pegula defeats Yuan Yue in the 3rd round of the US Open. For Pegula, it's her 22nd major match win since the start of 2021. The only woman with more major match wins than Jessica Pegula over that span is World No. 1 Iga Swiatek with 29.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Jessie Pegula wins in straight sets to make the US Open quarterfinals. She is projected to move in the world top 5 rankings with today’s win.

445150F8-4EA2-4568-9C10-940E77304CA3.png

Excellent win today. She was broken early in the 2nd set but then reeled of 6 straight games to win the set and the match. 

On to the QF. Well done, JP

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/4/2022 at 9:53 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think she has a chance to win this. Lot of great women, but no one I would call dominant. I think she is in the mix.

She’s certainly in the mix! I think I heard she has the second most wins in majors on the women’s tour this year. Now up to 23 or 24 I think. Very impressive! 

• Agree 2

• Gugny changed the title to 2022 U.S. Open (Tennis) - Jessica Pegula (8) - Onto the Quarterfinals

Coming up at 8 pm Eastern - JP vs Iga Swiatek (#1 seed!!!)

Go JP!!

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

Interview here with YF (no idea who YF is) talking late peak, state of tennis post Serena, Bills, etc. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/tennis-star-jessica-pegula-talks-210812431.html

Talk about stupid questions, from that article:

DAVID BRIGGS: Are you a Bills fan? They are the Super Bowl favorite. What do you think of their chances?

JESSICA PEGULA: Oh, I'm definitely a Bills fan, of course. But yeah, they have a really good chance. I think they had a great chance last year, lost a really tough game. But this year, I mean, it's a long season, so we'll see. But I don't see any reason why they can't win the Super Bowl.

Unless you are totally clueless, you are asking that of the heir(ess) apparent

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Haha (+1) 2

• Gugny changed the title to 2022 U.S. Open - Jessica Pegula (8) vs. Iga Świątek (1) - 7pm ET Tonight (9/7/22)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.