2022 U.S. Open - Jessica Pegula (8) Loses to Świątek (1) in Quarterfinals 😭

Gugny

• Gugny changed the title to 2022 U.S. Open (Tennis) - Jessica Pegula (8) - Onto Round 3

Indirect football related, since it has to do with the Pegulas' daughter, Jessica, , and barnyard animals need to be fed between now and Thurs nite kick-off...

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings/singles

below is limited extract from todays BN on Jessica Pegula..ranked 8th in the world !

Now the #1 ranked American woman...age 28, has won $2.25M alone in 2022 and now has over $5.3M in career winnings 

Aside from a wedding ring, Pegula has no fancy jewelry – no visual indicators that her parents are the billionaire owners of two professional sports teams. Nothing except a pair of beaded bracelets. “A 12-year-old could probably do these,” she said, smiling.

But the meaning runs a little deeper than a simple childhood craft: One bracelet is yellow and blue – the colors of the Buffalo Sabres, which her parents Terry and Kim Pegula purchased in 2011, when Jessie, which her family calls her, was 17.

The other bracelet is red and blue, for the Buffalo Bills, which her parents bought in 2014. They were made by her friend and competitor, the Australian tennis player Daria Saville.

“She used to make these – she was doing it when she was hurt and wasn’t doing anything, and I was like, ‘Oh, make me Bills and Sabres colors,' ” said Pegula, who received the bracelets from Saville before the 2021 Australian Open. Pegula advanced to the quarterfinals of that tournament, which is one of tennis’ four major championships. She wore the Bills and Sabres beads during her matches – “(Saville) was watching me on TV and said, ‘Oh my God, you’re wearing my bracelets!’ ” Pegula recalled – and she still slips them on today.

Subtle as they are, those bracelets may be the only indicator during a tennis match of Pegula’s family connection to the National Football League, National Hockey League, or extreme wealth. For most matches, you won’t see either of her parents in the crowd.

Not that they aren’t watching. Terry Pegula, who is a passionate tennis fan even beyond his daughter’s career, watches nearly every one of her matches on TV or livestream, which is easier than ever to do, because her high Women’s Tennis Association ranking – eighth worldwide in singles; sixth in doubles; and the top American woman – means she’s always on the broadcast.

Kim Pegula, who has been battling an undisclosed medical situation this summer, gets “so nervous that she can’t watch,” Jessie said. When Kim Pegula, who is the president of the Bills and Sabres, has attended tournaments in the past, she’ll step away from Jessie’s matches to check out the concessions.

“She likes to think of it like that; it’s fun for her,” Jessie said. “She’ll just go eat. Literally, she can’t watch. She’ll sit there, fidgeting.” At home, Jessie added, her mom records matches but tends only to watch if her daughter wins. “She likes to know the outcome if she watches,” Jessie said.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

That's very cool. I think I would need to be chained if one of my children was a world class athlete. Can't imagine a more stressful situation. .... Not to mention the fact that I love that the Pegula's saved our community from potentially loosing both the Bills and Sabres. .... I love these people..... Good luck Jess!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

Indirect football related, since it has to do with the Pegulas' daughter, Jessica, , and barnyard animals need to be fed between now and Thurs nite kick-off...

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings/singles

below is limited extract from todays BN on Jessica Pegula..ranked 8th in the world !

Now the #1 ranked American woman...age 28, has won $2.25M alone in 2022 and now has over $5.3M in career winnings 

Aside from a wedding ring, Pegula has no fancy jewelry – no visual indicators that her parents are the billionaire owners of two professional sports teams. Nothing except a pair of beaded bracelets. “A 12-year-old could probably do these,” she said, smiling.

But the meaning runs a little deeper than a simple childhood craft: One bracelet is yellow and blue – the colors of the Buffalo Sabres, which her parents Terry and Kim Pegula purchased in 2011, when Jessie, which her family calls her, was 17.

The other bracelet is red and blue, for the Buffalo Bills, which her parents bought in 2014. They were made by her friend and competitor, the Australian tennis player Daria Saville.

“She used to make these – she was doing it when she was hurt and wasn’t doing anything, and I was like, ‘Oh, make me Bills and Sabres colors,' ” said Pegula, who received the bracelets from Saville before the 2021 Australian Open. Pegula advanced to the quarterfinals of that tournament, which is one of tennis’ four major championships. She wore the Bills and Sabres beads during her matches – “(Saville) was watching me on TV and said, ‘Oh my God, you’re wearing my bracelets!’ ” Pegula recalled – and she still slips them on today.

Subtle as they are, those bracelets may be the only indicator during a tennis match of Pegula’s family connection to the National Football League, National Hockey League, or extreme wealth. For most matches, you won’t see either of her parents in the crowd.

Not that they aren’t watching. Terry Pegula, who is a passionate tennis fan even beyond his daughter’s career, watches nearly every one of her matches on TV or livestream, which is easier than ever to do, because her high Women’s Tennis Association ranking – eighth worldwide in singles; sixth in doubles; and the top American woman – means she’s always on the broadcast.

Kim Pegula, who has been battling an undisclosed medical situation this summer, gets “so nervous that she can’t watch,” Jessie said. When Kim Pegula, who is the president of the Bills and Sabres, has attended tournaments in the past, she’ll step away from Jessie’s matches to check out the concessions.

“She likes to think of it like that; it’s fun for her,” Jessie said. “She’ll just go eat. Literally, she can’t watch. She’ll sit there, fidgeting.” At home, Jessie added, her mom records matches but tends only to watch if her daughter wins. “She likes to know the outcome if she watches,” Jessie said.

Fingers crossed that Jessica keeps that competitive spirit when her tennis career is over......and focuses it to owning the Bills.    We don't know which Pegula would become managing partner in the event of one or both parents no longer being able to remain in charge.........but let's hope it's not someone mercurial like Ralph or an outright always profit-first, win-second steward.

As a Yankees fan the successor to long time owner and 7 time champion George Steinbrenner has been the bean counting son Hal who has made the team 10x more profitable while keeping payroll literally stagnant for almost 20 years and not being committed to winning.    Even with those resources being committed to winning championships is more than half of the battle.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Saw the final half hour of Serena William`s last match.  Very touching,  she is a true great of the game. Wishing her the best in retirement from tennis.  And thanks for the memories.

Btw, Russell Wilson was in the audience

A terrific match. Serena did herself proud. And Tomljanovic was extremely tough, and very classy in her post match remarks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I can really sympathise with Kim. Sad fact, my feed for the Bills is slightly behind for the televised games so, if I read something bad is going to happen on here, I quickly turn off.

If I didn’t see it, it didn’t happen.

If I’m watching a replay, and I know we’ve won, I’m not so fussed.

I’m happy for her.  I know how proud I was of my oldest son who had a full ride in Lax.  He earned it though beyond practice and playing in travel year round, he’d spend everyday 7 days a week on his rebounder 300 shots on each arm.

My point is not to brag about one of my sons (maybe a little), but the time effort, and discipline it takes to be excellent if not elite.  It doesn’t matter how wealthy her parents are, the discipline and talent to be this good in the world is amazing.

I don’t like most of us knows the Pegulas, but they saved this city with the two teams, and deserve the accolades for one of their children.  I’m sure that perks Kim up from whatever medical issue she faced.

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I can really sympathise with Kim. Sad fact, my feed for the Bills is slightly behind for the televised games so, if I read something bad is going to happen on here, I quickly turn off.

Lol.  I picture Wile E. Coyote holding up an umbrella as the boulder is falling directly above his head.  I totally understand.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

As a Yankees fan the successor to long time owner and 7 time champion George Steinbrenner has been the bean counting son Hal who has made the team 10x more profitable while keeping payroll literally stagnant for almost 20 years and not being committed to winning.    Even with those resources being committed to winning championships is more than half of the battle.   

I’d be curious to hear more about this… I hate the Yankees but they consistently have the highest payroll in baseball? What are they supposed to be doing? 

I believe they’ve had the highest payroll in MLB since Hal took over in 2012.

Edited by JGMcD2

What strikes me about the Pegulas is the lack of pretense. We were incredibly lucky they stepped up in 2014. 

I don’t watch a lot of tennis, I will watch the majors, paying specific attention to Jessica and her doubles partner, Delray Beach’s own Coco Gauff. Jessica is ten years older and their backgrounds couldn’t be more different. I’ve lived in Delray for over 30 years, longer than I lived anywhere, including Tonawanda. Coco’s family is part of the history of Delray. Her grandmother was the first student to integrate the high school in 1961, her grandfather started little league baseball for Black players in 1971. Jessica is a friend and mentor to Coco. I find it inspiring.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

Have you ever tried watching a Bills game with the sound turned off?  I do this at times and the games are less stressful to watch.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.