Will Devin Singletary be a 1,000 yard back this year?

Royale with Cheese

Singletary   

175 members have voted

1. 1. 1,000

• Yes
    • No

As others have said, I agree the Bills will run more this year. I agree that Dorsey will be a bit more compliant with McDermott than Daboll was.

Add in the Kromer factor and the fact that the Bills are carrying Reggie Gilliam, Tommy Sweeney, and Quintin Knox and I think it's very possible Singletary increases his rushing per game by 7.65 yards (130 yards/17 games) and reaches th 1K mark.

1000 yards was a measurement that showed skill, and ability in a running back. That was in a 12 or 14 game season. The scale for a good back today should be closer to 1500.

Running for 55 yards in a game is not a sign of ability, just a sign you were given enough chances. 

We have forgotten history where your running game won you games, not just closed out a game or ran draw plays because of throwing 45+ passes a game.

We need 100+ yards per game and will only get it infrequently with Singletary and Moss. Only Cook with his breakaway speed will influence defences enough to help Josh get time. Nobody in NFL is afraid of the other 2 guys to influence a game plan.

1 hour ago, Niagara Bill said:

1000 yards was a measurement that showed skill, and ability in a running back. That was in a 12 or 14 game season. The scale for a good back today should be closer to 1500.

Running for 55 yards in a game is not a sign of ability, just a sign you were given enough chances. 

We have forgotten history where your running game won you games, not just closed out a game or ran draw plays because of throwing 45+ passes a game.

We need 100+ yards per game and will only get it infrequently with Singletary and Moss. Only Cook with his breakaway speed will influence defences enough to help Josh get time. Nobody in NFL is afraid of the other 2 guys to influence a game plan.

The math shows that a 1,000 yard fourteen game season translates to a little over 1,200 yards for a seventeen game schedule. I contend that if they use Singletary like we saw at the end of last year (more like a Thurman Thomas role) he could indeed hit that mark. But…everyone needs to keep in mind that this isn’t baseball. These guys cannot play too many more games without being totally worn out come January.

• 3 months later...
Just now, streetkings01 said:

I think this is his last year in Buffalo. I see us getting a big bruiser next season to compliment Cook and Hines.

I hope he stays. With a better OL he could put up some really good numbers. Plus, Josh wouldn't have to run as much.

• Agree 1

As long as they don't abandon the run game every time it doesn't work after 2 or 3 plays i think he will he has always been pretty close to having 1k yd season but they depend so much on Josh if the run game doesn't work right away they stop trying and go exclusively with throwing the ball .

If they want to win a championship the run game will have to be part of the equation & getting the backs into a place in the offense that they feel comfortable is a must & it's coming around at the right time of the year i hope they keep it up !! 

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I hope he stays. With a better OL he could put up some really good numbers. Plus, Josh wouldn't have to run as much.

I agree I actually like him, but based off Zach Moss and Cook it seems as if they’ve been trying to replace him the past few seasons. Zach Moss in his rookie year started the season as the #1 RB right after Singletary having a good rookie year.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:19 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

He averaged 4.6 ypc and 870 rushing yards last year.  He had 7 games last year with single digit attempts.  He was splitting reps with Moss early on and we had terrible run blocking ahead of him….he started getting

the lions share in the last 4-5 games.

I think this year he does it.  He will get the majority share of the carries and I don’t see our run blocking being as bad this year.

At 17 games, it’s barely a meaningful threshold 

44 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He's currently 397 yards away and has 5 games left.  I think with Cook looking like he's going to start taking more carries from him, hell maybe even become the #1 back by the end of the season....I think he falls short by about 100 yards.

I like DS but will admit when cook gets the ball I get a little excited about what he could make happen in a way I haven’t for a few years. 

25 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

At 17 games, it’s barely a meaningful threshold 

I like DS but will admit when cook gets the ball I get a little excited about what he could make happen in a way I haven’t for a few years. 

Oh I'm with you, I love seeing Cook get the ball.  I like DS too but Cook is more of a threat.  I feel Cook is always a potential for a 30+ yard run at any point.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.