Will Devin Singletary be a 1,000 yard back this year?

Royale with Cheese

Singletary   

175 members have voted

1. 1. 1,000

• Yes
    • No

He averaged 4.6 ypc and 870 rushing yards last year.  He had 7 games last year with single digit attempts.  He was splitting reps with Moss early on and we had terrible run blocking ahead of him….he started getting

the lions share in the last 4-5 games.

I think this year he does it.  He will get the majority share of the carries and I don’t see our run blocking being as bad this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

He averaged 4.6 ypc and 870 rushing yards last year.  He had 7 games last year with single digit attempts.  He was splitting reps with Moss early on and we had terrible run blocking ahead of him….he started getting

the lions share in the last 4-5 games.

I think this year he does it.  He will get the majority share of the carries and I don’t see our run blocking being as bad this year.

I think the Bills offense is the worst offense to be on for a player looking for huge individual stats.  Loads of options to give the ball to and I'm sure it'll be spread around quite a bit.

Singletary could EASILY be a perennial 1,000 yard RB in an offense that feeds him the ball.  That's just not this offense.  His YPC have been among the top of the NFL in each of his seasons.  As you pointed out, he (inexplicably, if you ask me) had seven games last year with single-digit attempts.

Getting to 870 in this offense is nothing short of phenomenal.

I'm not gonna "pound the table," for him to get the ball a heck of a lot more.  Clearly, what the Bills do on offense is very effective.

My mind continues to be boggled by the Singletary haters on this board.  The "he can't carry the ball 20-25 games per game," narrative is silly.  How the ***** does anyone know that??  He's never been asked to do it!

Anyway, I voted no.  Not because he doesn't have the talent/ability to do it; only because this is a pass-heavy offense with a running QB and three RBs to share the load.

Edited by Gugny
  • Agree 2

I'd rather see Knox get 1000 receiving yards. 

I'd be fine if they let Singletary be a true lead back but history suggests a rotation and a healthy Moss will get plenty of carries.

4 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I think the Bills offense is the worst offense to be on for a player looking for huge individual stats.  Loads of options to give the ball to and I'm sure it'll be spread around quite a bit.

Singletary could EASILY be a perennial 1,000 yard RB in an offense that feeds him the ball.  That's just not this offense.  His YPC have been among the top of the NFL in each of his seasons.  As you pointed out, he (inexplicably, if you ask me) had seven games last year with single-digit attempts.

Getting to 870 in this offense is nothing short of phenomenal.

I'm not gonna "bang the table," for him to get the ball a heck of a lot more.  Clearly, what the Bills do on offense is very effective.

My mind continues to be boggled by the Singletary haters on this board.  The "he can't carry the ball 20-25 games per game," narrative is silly.  How the ***** does anyone know that??  He's never been asked to do it!

Anyway, I voted no.  Not because he doesn't have the talent/ability to do it; only because this is a pass-heavy offense with a running QB and three RBs to share the load.

Diggs led the league in receptions two years ago. I agree Bills can and should spread the ball around, but that doesn't mean a player can't individually do well too.

• Like (+1) 1

It's possible. I think KD will call a more balanced game than Daboll. The offense started rolling and team was playing it's best ball in the 2nd half of the TB. That's also when DS started to get more involved. I'm just not sure how the reps will get split up. If DS gets the touches, he could easily surpass 1k. 

I think with Dorsey calling plays and an improved OL he'll get to 1,000.  However, the Bills averaged 64 plays on offense last year ( https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/how-many-possessions-team-receive-per-game-nfl).

So lets say they average that again.  Out of 64 plays who gets the pig skin is decided on game planning, defensive schemes, weather, injuries and other factors but on average I'll take a shot at it keeping in mind that if Singletary is to get to 1,000 yards he needs 59 yards per game.

1) Allen runs it 4 times per game (60 left)

2) Diggs gets the pig skin 7 times a game (53 left)

3) Davis gets it 6x a game (47 left)

4) McKenzie gets it 5x a game (42 left)

5) Knox gets it 5x a game (37 left)

6) Incomplete passes 7x (30 left)

7) Moss / Cook get it 6x a game (24 left)

8 ) Other TE's and "others" get it 6x per game (18 left)

That leaves about 18 plays "on average" to hand the ball to Singletary - a few of those will likely be screen passes so lets adjust it to 15 running plays for Singletary.  Last year he averaged 4.6 YPC X 15 = 69 yards per game average.  

Obviously a lot happens and these numbers are only my personal guess on touches average per game for each player but a probably pretty close.  With that said, it is totally possible and realistic to think that Singletary gets well over 1,000 yards this year. IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

For context, only seven running backs in the NFL broke 1,000 rushing yards last year, and that's with the extra regular season game. One of those was Zeke and he had 1,002 yards. The Bills are very likely to be a pass-heavy team again, and between the known RB committee, and risk of injury in general from the RB position, it's highly unlikely that Singletary gets enough volume and/or is efficient enough to break the 1,000 yard mark. Is it possible? Of course. Just don't bet on it.

Edited by Tommy

I expect Singletary will have a productive year.  Meaning he makes the most of his touches.  Whether he accumulates the stats to break the 1K rushing yards level I'm not so sure.  With the addition of Cook and what looks like a healthy Moss the Bills look good at RB.  Add in what should be better performance from the offensive line group and improvement in the yards per rushing attempt stat, I think the Bills will meet one important goal.  Being able to run the ball effectively when they "need" to run the ball.  Whether that's getting the tough yards in the red zone, running some clock when required, or going to the ground game if the passing game stalls out.   The other thing I want to see with the backfield of Singletary, Moss, and Cook are less Josh Allen designed runs.      

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.