OJ Howard expected to sign with Bengals (update: signs with Texans)

YoloinOhio

20 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I think there is some cap relief from cutting Howard IF he stays on a team all season. I’ll try to find a link. If true this game is great for us.

The Bills can get $2 million in additional cap space according to Spotrac but I’ve read elsewhere that he has to meet certain incentives.  Would apply to cap next season 

Edited by buffalonian

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

This is baffling to me. Why was he cut?

even if he didn’t play often, a 6’6 250 target for the redzone is of more value than what Morris and Sweeney currently offer

even more puzzling that Beane mentioned he wouldn’t hesistate to bring Howard back if he was available?

could we see a strange trade at deadline of Sweeney or a 7th for Howard?

Shrug. 

We cut players who can play well on other teams.  Good.   I want to do that every year. 

Let the coaches pick and choose amongst NFL caliber players.   Not between "hell no" and "well he's a body" type player.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, buffalonian said:

The Bills can get $2 million in additional cap space according to Spotrac but I’ve read elsewhere that he has to meet certain incentives.  Would apply to cap next season 

Yeah def not this years cap. But every bit every year helps going forward. I think the incentive is play the whole season on a roster. 

OJ Howard had twice as many TDs in one game than Sweeney has his entire career. I know that its only 1 game. Keeping Sweeney over someone with the potential of Howard is the stupidiest thing we have done in awhile. OJ is a way better TE than Sweeney... OJ is atleast competent. Sweeney is just a non factor when he is on the field

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

OJ Howard had twice as many TDs in one game than Sweeney has his entire career. I know that its only 1 game. Keeping Sweeney over someone with the potential of Howard is the stupidiest thing we have done in awhile. OJ is a way better TE than Sweeney... OJ is atleast competent. Sweeney is just a non factor when he is on the field

SplendidPhonyGalapagospenguin-size_restr

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Good grief.

I guess some people have to complain about something.

11 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

Howard certainly didn't earn a roster spot with the Bills. By all accounts and in pre season he pretty much sucked. However, you can legitimately say the same thing about Sweeney. He sucks too but he's a great locker room guy. Obviously, the Bills brass felt that was am important factor worth keeping him. Morris does look to have lots of potential. 

12 hours ago, Kmart128 said:

I guess he should have tried harder when he was here so he wouldn't get cut. He looked bad.

He might be one of those players that turns it on for the actual games, but that is not going to fly here.

18 hours ago, 716er said:

Jerry Hughes was more impressive than Howard today 

Bills should’ve kept them both!! Jerry and Von would’ve been wrecking machines. Howard could’ve been that red zone threat the Bills don’t have not named Josh Allen. Still perplexed keeping Sweeney over Howard unless it was financially motivated 

It is very hard to question anything this regime has done. But as a huge fan of Howard since college, I hated his cut. Personally, I would lean on the 1st round talent and hope the light comes on (and injury gets better) than keep dime a dozen JAGs like Sweeney and Morris. But hopefully that make some plays for us. 

but I really wish Howard well. His career has been a disappointment and by all accounts, he’s a good dude. Good for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.