Practice Squad

Pete

5 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

I am sure you missed a bunch of Bills but you listed former Bills in the last two years on other teams and said that was impressive.  Players move around a lot now, nine is actually a very small number.

Here is the list of players that were on the Jets since Aug 31 2020 who are on other teams 53 man roster as of today.  There are 26, including three former Jets (Lawson, Crowdher, and Van Roten) on the Bills:

This would seem to suggest that perhaps the Jets have had a reasonably talented roster past 2 years, but not talented enough to overcome coaching and/or QB deficiencies?  (Impressive list, btw!)

Edited by ChasBB
add

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Very happy Mancz made the practice squad. Surprised.

That one is really interesting. In the first pre-season game the Bills sat 7 OL. Their suppsoed starting 5, Quess and Mancz. I know Quess may be in the starting 5 by now but at that point they were telling you he and Mancz were basically considered Backups A1 and A2 and were getting starter like protection. Mancz has been nicked up since but I am not sure I have seen play on the field from Bobby Hart or Greg Van Roten that would explain how they have jumped Mancz. I am genuinely shocked at how that has played out.

6 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

So out of the 45 draft picks selected under McBeane, 29 are on the current 53 man roster or listed on the PUP, one is on the Practice Squad (so three quarters of the picks are still with the Bills), ten are playing elsewhere in the NFL, one is playing in the Canadian Football League and four are currently free agents, though we planned to have one of those on the roster for 2022

Might be due to your use of UK/US conversion rate or metric system but over here 30/45 = .667  or 2/3 picks are still with the Bills.  😎

2 hours ago, ChasBB said:

This would seem to suggest that perhaps the Jets have had a reasonably talented roster past 2 years, but not talented enough to overcome coaching and/or QB deficiencies?  (Impressive list, btw!)

I was surprised at the number given how bad the Jets roster was supposed to be in the last two years but the other hand, even though there are a lot of players on other teams, none of them have made much of an impression.

However, I do get the impression that Gase, and likely Saleh also, like to run their system whether they have the right type of players for it or not.  Also the change from Gase to Saleh probably led to players being release as not a fit to the new system.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That one is really interesting. In the first pre-season game the Bills sat 7 OL. Their suppsoed starting 5, Quess and Mancz. I know Quess may be in the starting 5 by now but at that point they were telling you he and Mancz were basically considered Backups A1 and A2 and were getting starter like protection. Mancz has been nicked up since but I am not sure I have seen play on the field from Bobby Hart or Greg Van Roten that would explain how they have jumped Mancz. I am genuinely shocked at how that has played out.

I think it has to do with Mancz ankle injuries.  They like him better than Van Roten, and they don't think it's a 4 week recovery (they were able to cut him, though the timing suggests there was some process involved - physical exams?).  But today, they aren't confident he could step in immediately at 100%.

Or, perhaps Kromer feels Van Roten has outplayed Mancz as the preseason has gone on

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I think it has to do with Mancz ankle injuries.  They like him better than Van Roten, and they don't think it's a 4 week recovery (they were able to cut him, though the timing suggests there was some process involved - physical exams?).  But today, they aren't confident he could step in immediately at 100%.

Or, perhaps Kromer feels Van Roten has outplayed Mancz as the preseason has gone on

Yea who knows.... but the situation has clearly changed since pre-season game 1 and it would be fascinating to understand why. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Interesting.  He sounds a lot like a somewhat more athletic Tenuta in his draft profile

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/luke-tenuta/32005445-4e67-5714-49e8-18b876a064eb

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ryan-van-demark/32005641-4e35-8786-8134-e52f551c2fe2

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea who knows.... but the situation has clearly changed since pre-season game 1 and it would be fascinating to understand why. 

FWIW, Joe B (who I think sees all the practices and keeps meticulous track of who is practicing and who is riding a bike or working on the sidelines) "take" was that they like Mancz, but he "couldn't stay healthy". 

Health, in the form of ankle issues, has cost him a lot of time since 2019 when he had off-season ankle surgery.  (that's something I looked up, not from Joe B)

I thought Van Roten looked bad and Mancz looked better, from what I saw.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Genuine shock is how I feel about it as well. The idea that Hart or Van Roten are next man up is baffling. And you just know if one has to play it'll take the coaches two weeks longer than necessary to swap in Mancz lol.

• Disagree 1

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Probably apropos of nothing - but during the Carolina game I noticed Josh was talking to Van Roten a lot on the sidelines - seemed like they really got along

1 hour ago, NickelCity said:

Genuine shock is how I feel about it as well. The idea that Hart or Van Roten are next man up is baffling. And you just know if one has to play it'll take the coaches two weeks longer than necessary to swap in Mancz lol.

Hart/Van Roten or mancz have over 120 starts combined. Both have had above average games and years. Hart started on a giants playoff team. Mancz will be ready for week 1. Beane already said so.

If you think that's bad depth , than all time great teams have bad depth. Very few teams have depth like that on the oline. 

I just don't understand what ppl want???

For example. Go look up the 07 patriots oline depth. Or go look up the 90-91 bills oline depth

One could argue we have better 

Edited by Forlorn hope
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Do you guys think that anyone will poach from our PS? Maybe Blackshear, Hodgins or Giles-Harris? Those three in particular I’m hoping will fly under the radar and Barkley too! 

Probably not. 

1 being bills are a super bowl contender. 

2. Many of the players on the ps said they aren't going anywhere else.

3. Hodgins is not a burner or sp tms guy so probably is safe

Rbs are a dime a dozen. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I’m glad Bryant hung around. Someday someway he’ll get significant game action.

Hodgins is now a cockroach. Practice hero. Some team please claim him!

I really believe he will replace Lawson next year unless he's beat out by some JAG UDFA which I doubt.

He's a good football player who should have been claimed.

The DL is set next year with the only other replacement needed for Phillips (who may re-sign).

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Come on Brandon, still waiting to see what TE you sign to the PS.

I was hoping for Ryan Izzo but the stupid Panthers signed him for minimum.

Zach Davidson is your man

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/zach-davidson/32004441-5610-4903-d81a-69e2bea869a8

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.