Practice Squad

Pete

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Thanks.  Interesting, he seems to have an upside as a receiver.  His blocking looks pretty poor but that's the thing about PS guys.

There is always a lack in a needed skill.  Boras/Kromer always can bring out the most there.

Welcome to Buffalo Zach (with an h)!

• Like (+1) 1

PS is now completed.  Some small moves will continue but it looks pretty good.

Years ago, no one cared about the PS and UDFAs but that is rapidly changing.  The average NFL team has 1/4 or more of its roster

made up of guys that went through this process.  I love the 16-man PS (one of the NFLs better moves lately) and I can see

anywhere from 1 to 4 PS guys who have a decent chance to make the roster in the next year.

The "elevate" rule is another great idea.  Having guys move up for a game or two to fill short term injuries is a big plus.

All these new rules really change the PS to more of a "farm" team.  The NFL needed that.

Edited by ColoradoBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-training-camp-recap-day-7-zach-davidson-patrick-peterson-greg-joseph

Zach Davidson's busy day

With no Smith, the top tight ends on the Vikings' depth chart are former L.A. Ram Johnny Mundt and 2021 fifth-round pick Zach Davidson, who spent all of last year on the practice squad. Mundt had a few opportunities on Wednesday, but it was Davidson who benefited most from Smith's absence. The Central Missouri product was all over the place, catching a ton of passes with both the first and second-team offense.

It was a good day for Davidson, though not a perfect one. In red zone 7-on-7 action, he ran a beautiful route against Harrison Smith and caught a touchdown pass from Kellen Mond. A couple plays later, though, he had a Mond pass deflect off of his hands and into the arms of Patrick Peterson for an interception. 

Davidson stayed involved during full-team action. Kirk Cousins looked his way often, hitting him on a number of short throws. After one third-down conversion, Cousins yelled "That's a first down! Hell yeah Zach!"

Davidson was also targeted a couple times on the second team's 1-minute drill, catching the first one but failing to come up with a contested grab on fourth down.

"I think with Zach, it’s really exciting because I see a lot of ability in him, so you see a high ceiling and a desire to work and get better," Cousins said. "So it’s exciting to work with a guy like that, where you see all this potential down the road, similar to how I felt about Tyler Conklin three or four years ago. You want to see that development happen, and it’s going to."

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/zach-davidson-kirk-cousins-nfl-news/

Gigantic TE on the Verge of Breaking Vikings Speed Record

Asmall-school prospect coming out of Central Missouri a year ago, Minnesota Vikings tight end Zach Davidson had his work cut out for him.

“Raw as sushi,” The Athletic’s Dane Brugler wrote in his pre-draft assessment of Davidson, projecting him to be a “draft-and-stash” player after switching from punter to tight end his sophomore year of college.

Davidson just breaking the surface as a route runner, but looking past the 24-year-old’s lanky 6-foot-7 frame is a lethal speed that helped make him the first of only three Division II prospects selected in the 2021 draft.

Entering his second NFL training camp, Davidson has been tasked with taking on more first-team reps with Irv Smith Jr. out the remainder of training camp after suffering a thumb injury.

Davidson has had his ups and downs, but he’s on the verge of a milestone few of his teammates have achieved.

In an August 3 press conference, Kirk Cousins addressed Minnesota’s tight end depth that will need to step up in the absence of Smith.

Davidson, whose height ranks in the 93rd percentile and 4.64 40-time ranks 80th among NFL tight ends, per Mockdraftable.com, has a unique size and speed combination at the position — qualities that Cousins sees potential in.

The Vikings have trackers on player jerseys that measure their top-end speed. Cousins, who just breached 19 miles per hour last season against the Arizona Cardinals, acknowledged he’ll reach the 21 miles per hour threshold that many of the team’s fastest players are chasing.

“You can’t teach 6-foot-7, and talking about his speed… We have a t-shirt we give out in the building if you get to 21 miles per hour, I’m never going to see 21 miles per hour but the fastest guys on the team are going 21. It’s an elite group and Zach’s one of those guys who’s at 20.9, so whenever Zach gets a vertical route I know he’s going to be flying because he wants that tracker at the end of practice to say 21,” Cousins said. “One of these days we’re going to get him his t-shirt but… he’s got a lot of down-the-field speed and his height, that combination, it gives you a lot of potential as a player.”

The fastest Vikings player on the roster is currently second-year running back Kene Nwangwu, who clocked an unofficial 4.29 40-time at his pro day, however, Davidson, could be the tallest player to reach that milestone, potentially if he can do so with the ample adrenaline of in-game reps this season.

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Zach Davidson draft profile:

“Rare tight end/punter position flexibility”

👀👀👀

Holy crap i thought you were kidding until i read the bio 😀

Davidson has excelled in one of the most unusual double-duty roles in college football the past three seasons. The Webb City, Missouri, native has been the Mules' punter since his redshirt freshman season, when he averaged 44.3 yards per kick.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Zach Davidson draft profile:

“Rare tight end/punter position flexibility”

👀👀👀

If he can crack the roster next year and play special teams I bet you could cook up some amazing trick plays with 2 punters.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

PS is now completed.  Some small moves will continue but it looks pretty good.

Years ago, no one cared about the PS and UDFAs but that is rapidly changing.  The average NFL team has 1/4 or more of its roster

made up of guys that went through this process.  I love the 16-man PS (one of the NFLs better moves lately) and I can see

anywhere from 1 to 4 PS guys who have a decent chance to make the roster in the next year.

The "elevate" rule is another great idea.  Having guys move up for a game or two to fill short term injuries is a big plus.

All these new rules really change the PS to more of a "farm" team.  The NFL needed that.

Still wish owners would pay for a couple more spots on the regular roster

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, Shake_My_Head said:

We have a t-shirt we give out in the building if you get to 21 miles per hour, I’m never going to see 21 miles per hour but the fastest guys on the team are going 21. It’s an elite group and Zach’s one of those guys who’s at 20.9, so whenever Zach gets a vertical route I know he’s going to be flying because he wants that tracker at the end of practice to say 21,” Cousins said. “One of these days we’re going to get him his t-shirt but… he’s got a lot of down-the-field speed and his height, that combination, it gives you a lot of potential as a player.”

That's a cool thing - 21 MPH club t-shirt

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greatdane21 said:

Should have signed Steven Carlson TE was browns top sprcial teams player and blocking TE

I think it's odd that Steven could not get a camp invite after he was cleared to resume playing.  All I heard of was a June tryout with the Giants.  He might have to seek an XFL opportunity.

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

We have a type!

Yeah I didn't understand how Tenuta fit into the mix compared to the high RAS guys they had been accumulating.

I suspect that a coach like Aaron Kromer might have had a good deal of say in which OL they drafted............but when it comes to the PS then Beane can just go with the criteria he prefers.     He might even be relieved that he lost the opportunity to PS the seemingly slew footed Tenuta to the Colts waiver claim.

willy-wonka.gif

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.