Practice Squad

Pete

37 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

While it may be swapping a dollar for a buck, Van Demark's 9.44 RAS score (versus 4.93 for Tenuta) and high IQ (honor roll guy, team captain) are intriguing. 

His biggest problems appear to be his lack of weight (he was a 230-pound TE in high school and is still bulking up (much like Spenser Brown) and the fact he had such poor coaching at UConn.    He seems like the perfect kind of PS developmental OT and I'd suspect he'd be an upgrade over Tenuta who just couldn't move from what I saw in pre-season games.  Van Demark's arms are ~3" longer as well (35.5" vs 32.875").

Van Demark looks like a poor man's Spencer Brown:

E0Urt8LX0AQCX6j?format=png&name=900x900

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Questions about practice squad players:

1. Do they travel with the team?

2. Do they attend home games?

3. Will they get Super Bowl rings if the Bills win it all?

4. Would they be able to be on the sideline for the Super Bowl/playoff games? 

I tried looking this up, but all I'm finding is poorly written articles that contradict each other.

Questions about practice squad players:

1. Do they travel with the team?-.  Depends 

2. Do they attend home games?-.  Maybe

3. Will they get Super Bowl rings if the Bills win it all?

-Possibly

- Game day decision 

Hope this helps. 😀

These are interesting questions, I'm just busting balls. No offense please. Some TBD'r will answer these seriously at some point. 

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

He’s gonna make $200,000.00 or more working out for a living, that’s a top 3% wage nationally, he’s not hurting in any fashion, 

Who said anything about hurting? You’re stuck on the money. I said the money is good on PS in my post. Professional athletes want to play. How do they make more money and maximize their value? By playing 🤯

The guy is 28 years old and has been with the Bills since 2018. At some point you have to ask yourself if it is ever going to happen for you with this team. Especially, if you’ve been grinding it out the past few years and unable to crack the 53. Maybe, as you contend, he’s completely cool with his role on PS and the associated salary. He wants for nothing more. I’d bet that’s not the case. And after the same routine the past few years, that has to wear on you mentally wondering what more you have to do to make the 53. 

26 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

practice squad has changed… it’s more of a farm team than it used to be especially with Bills. They go out of their way to make them part of the organization. I’m sure it’s a fantastic job and they can make them selves part of the wins. 

Oh, I have no doubt about that. I’m sure they are treated amazing and like other members of the 53. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 1

Questions about practice squad players:

1. Do they travel with the team?

2. Do they attend home games?

3. Will they get Super Bowl rings if the Bills win it all?

I tried looking this up, but all I'm finding is poorly written articles that contradict each other.

1. No

2. Not allowed on the sidelines allowed to be at the stadium

3. Yes

4. No

Edited by dje85
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I would say it's pretty good given the strength of the Bills roster.

I am sure you missed a bunch of Bills but you listed former Bills in the last two years on other teams and said that was impressive.  Players move around a lot now, nine is actually a very small number.

Here is the list of players that were on the Jets since Aug 31 2020 who are on other teams 53 man roster as of today.  There are 26, including three former Jets (Lawson, Crowdher, and Van Roten) on the Bills:

Josh Andrews  NO

Mathhais Farley  LV

Lamar Jackson  CHI

Nate Hairston  MN

Jordan Willis  SF

Sam Darnold  CAR

Michael Dwumfour  TX

Shaq Lawson  BUF

Corey Levin  TEN

Milo Eifler  WAS

David Moore  CHI

Elijah Campbell  MIA

Ryan Griffin CHI

Thomas Morstead  MIA

Edy Pineiro  CAR

Blake Cashman  HOU

Grep Van Roten  BUF

Jamison Crowder  BUF

Javin White  CHI

Jason Pinnock  NYG

Chuma Edoga  ATL

Isaish Dunn  SEA

Rachard Wildgoose WAS

Javelin Guidry  ARI

Del' Shawn Phillips  BAL

Trevon Wesco  CHI

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 1

I could see it being somewhat of a bummer, but he's earned close to a million dollars over 6 years playing football in the NFL, and even got to play in a few regular season games. That's just so far! In a way, he's had a nice career as a guy on the edge of the roster.

I believe this is his 6th year, so 5 previous years.  but close.  Starting back in 2018, a player on the PS for the full season earned $129,300, it's gone up since then, and Love has earned more - he spent a season on IR, which if he had a split means something like $380k, he was on the active roster for 4 games over 2 seasons, which means something like $127,500, then two more seasons on PS for ~$300k which brings him up to something like $937k for 5 years.  If he sticks on the PS this season, he'll earn $207,000, and bring his 6 year earnings to $1.1M. 

That's very good pay for a guy who is right out of college.  For context: Forbes says the median salary for a college graduate with a Masters degree age 25-34 is $69,700 (Love has a Master's degree in enterpreneurship). 

So in 6 years in the NFL, he'll have earned as much as the median Master's degree employee earns in ~16 years.  If the guy wants to be an enterpreneur, that's a heck of a "jump start" to his funding.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

I am sure you missed a bunch of Bills but you listed former Bills in the last two years on other teams and said that was impressive.  Players move around a lot now, nine is actually a very small number.

Here is the list of players that were on the Jets since Aug 31 2020 who are on other teams 53 man roster as of today.  There are 26, including three former Jets (Lawson, Crowdher, and Van Roten) on the Bills:

Josh Andrews  NO

Mathhais Farley  LV

Lamar Jackson  CHI

Nate Hairston  MN

Jordan Willis  SF

Sam Darnold  CAR

Michael Dwumfour  TX

Shaq Lawson  BUF

Corey Levin  TEN

Milo Eifler  WAS

David Moore  CHI

Elijah Campbell  MIA

Ryan Griffin CHI

Thomas Morstead  MIA

Edy Pineiro  CAR

Blake Cashman  HOU

Grep Van Roten  BUF

Jamison Crowder  BUF

Javin White  CHI

Jason Pinnock  NYG

Chuma Edoga  ATL

Isaish Dunn  SEA

Rachard Wildgoose WAS

Javelin Guidry  ARI

Del' Shawn Phillips  BAL

Trevon Wesco  CHI

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here?

Not all those players were drafted or even signed as UDFA by the Jets. 

For example, just to pick a couple, Del' Shawn Phillips was signed by Atlanta as an UDFA, then cut and signed to the Bills PS his rookie season.

Rachard Wildgoose was drafted by the Bills.  So was Shaq Lawson.

I don't think the person to whom you're responding was including every player in the NFL who ever walked in the door of the Bills facility and was signed for a minute in the last 2 years, nor every player the Bills traded in the last 2 years.  The list would be far longer than 9 if so.

So in comparing your 26 to that poster's 9, I believe has considerable "apples and oranges" stuff.

Edited by Beck Water

11 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Josh Andrews  NO

Mathhais Farley  LV

Lamar Jackson  CHI

Nate Hairston  MN

Jordan Willis  SF

Sam Darnold  CAR

Michael Dwumfour  TX

Shaq Lawson  BUF

Corey Levin  TEN

Milo Eifler  WAS

David Moore  CHI

Elijah Campbell  MIA

Ryan Griffin CHI

Thomas Morstead  MIA

Edy Pineiro  CAR

Blake Cashman  HOU

Grep Van Roten  BUF

Jamison Crowder  BUF

Javin White  CHI

Jason Pinnock  NYG

Chuma Edoga  ATL

Isaish Dunn  SEA

Rachard Wildgoose WAS

Javelin Guidry  ARI

Del' Shawn Phillips  BAL

Trevon Wesco  CHI

Yeah you miss point altogether.  The Bills have made the playoffs the last 3 years and have a deep roster.  The Jets have done what the last 3 years?  Lawson and Wildgoose were originally drafted by the Bills and you want to give credit to the Jets?  Smh. Also Sam Darnold the 2nd overall pick in the draft a few years back and you somehow think that's something too.  Are you a Jets fan?

3 hours ago, Draconator said:

-Barkley: zero surprise; pretty sure he signed with us knowing that meant PS only (unless someone got hurt).

-Mancz: glad to have him back. Camp reports seemed to think he was decent, and better than Van Roten. I think Mancz likely plays at some point.

-Anderson: love having him back. Supposedly has good upside. I doubt they’d call him up unless they’re desperate tho. 
-Blackshear: I never got the hype on him. Guys, there are a LOT of talented backs in the NFL. Blackshear hasn’t struck me as anything special so far. Having said that, he showed some speed and elusiveness, and that’s always nice. Glad he’s here, but I don’t think he has a carry this year. 
-Johnson: not surprised, but happy to see him back! I thought he looked surprisingly good in preseason, even on kick returns. If any of our backs get hurt, Duke probably gets the call up. 
-Austin: now THIS one surprised me. I’m guessing they like his veteran presence in the locker room. As for on-field, maybe they think he can back up the McKenzie role on jet sweeps and whatnot. 
-Gentry: I really have no opinion on Tanner Gentry. 
-Hodgins: I expected him to clear waivers, but I wasn’t sure of it. I loved Hodgins in camp the last 2 years, and I was psyched he got some meaningful play this preseason. And now that I’ve seen a bit of what he can do, I’ve adjusted my hopes downward. I think he’s close to Duke Williams - big WR, can make contested catches, but can’t really get separation. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take that over a LOT of the WRs out there. That’s an NFL player, just not one that moves the needle. 
-Love: Love it! I liked the comparison to a career minor leaguer earlier in the thread. I’m sure the Bills wanted Love and Kingsley, but at least we got 1 of ‘em. 
-Bryant: Love it! I thought he looked really good in preseason. Both him & Love are likely to play at some point due to injury. Nice to have guys who can come up and at least not be trainwrecks. 
-Brewer: see Gentry

-Giles-Harris: see Brewer

-Ingram: I thought camp reports said he sucked, but who knows? This probably was supposed to be McCloud’s spot.

So that leaves 3 spots open, right? They might have their eyes on some players who were cut as part of waiver claims - keep an eye out tomorrow. Positionally, I’m guessing another D-back and probably an OT. And like others, I’m wondering if they’re reaching out to Davis Webb. Apparently he’s a QB coach in the locker room, and supposedly Josh Allen loves him. You don’t need 2 QBs on the practice squad, but the extra support for your star QB is probably worth a spot on its own merit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheProcess said:

Who said anything about hurting? You’re stuck on the money. I said the money is good on PS in my post. Professional athletes want to play. How do they make more money and maximize their value? By playing 🤯

The guy is 28 years old and has been with the Bills since 2018. At some point you have to ask yourself if it is ever going to happen for you with this team. Especially, if you’ve been grinding it out the past few years and unable to crack the 53. Maybe, as you contend, he’s completely cool with his role on PS and the associated salary. He wants for nothing more. I’d bet that’s not the case. And after the same routine the past few years, that has to wear on you mentally wondering what more you have to do to make the 53. 

Oh, I have no doubt about that. I’m sure they are treated amazing and like other members of the 53. 

i can guarantee you no one asked him if he got the memo about the new TPS report cover sheet. 

29 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Yeah you miss point altogether.  The Bills have made the playoffs the last 3 years and have a deep roster.  The Jets have done what the last 3 years?  Lawson and Wildgoose were originally drafted by the Bills and you want to give credit to the Jets?  Smh. Also Sam Darnold the 2nd overall pick in the draft a few years back and you somehow think that's something too.  Are you a Jets fan?

As you mentioning drafting, ours has been pretty good since the McBeane era began:

2022: Six of eight retained on 2022 roster - Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Benford and Spector. Planned to be seven. Tenuta picked up from waivers by Colts.

2021: Six of eight retained on 2022 roster - Rousseau, Basham Jnr., Brown, Doyle, Stevenson and Hamlin. Wildgoose picked up from PS by Jets in 2021, then Commanders via waivers in 2022. J Anderson picked up from PS by Eagles in 2021, then Giants via waivers in 2022.

2020: Five of seven retained on 2022 roster - Epenesa, Moss, Davis, Bass and Jackson. Hodgins on PS. Fromm was picked up from PS by Giants in 2021, but has since been cut and is a free agent.

2019: Five of eight retained on 2022 roster - Oliver, Singletary, Knox, J Johnson and Sweeney. Ford was traded to the Cardinals this year; Vosean Joseph plays in the CFL for the Tiger-Cats and Darryl Johnson is with the Seahawks.

2018: Four of eight retained on 2022 roster - Allen, Edmunds, Johnson and Neal. Phillips is with the Vikings, Teller is with the Browns, McCloud is with the 49ers and Proehl is a free agent after being released by the Giants earlier this month.

2017: Three of six retained on 2022 roster - White (PUP), Dawkins and Milano. Jones is with the Jaguars, Peterman was cut by the Bears yesterday and Vallejo is with the Cardinals.

So out of the 45 draft picks selected under McBeane, 29 are on the current 53 man roster or listed on the PUP, one is on the Practice Squad (so three quarters of the picks are still with the Bills), ten are playing elsewhere in the NFL, one is playing in the Canadian Football League and four are currently free agents, though we planned to have one of those on the roster for 2022.

Maybe this is nothing out of the ordinary but, to me, I’d say that’s an exceptionally good success rate.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I don’t know how to read this..  otherwise id think a 6’8” 320 pound man can have a 32” vertical leap. 

He’s a freak of nature that’s for sure and has a nasty attitude. Big fan of Doyle, needs some time to work on Technique under Kromer, could be a solid starter one day at T or G. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make here?

Not all those players were drafted or even signed as UDFA by the Jets. 

For example, just to pick a couple, Del' Shawn Phillips was signed by Atlanta as an UDFA, then cut and signed to the Bills PS his rookie season.

Rachard Wildgoose was drafted by the Bills.  So was Shaq Lawson.

I don't think the person to whom you're responding was including every player in the NFL who ever walked in the door of the Bills facility and was signed for a minute in the last 2 years, nor every player the Bills traded in the last 2 years.  The list would be far longer than 9 if so.

So in comparing your 26 to that poster's 9, I believe has considerable "apples and oranges" stuff.

1 hour ago, DCbillsfan said:

I am just going by what you wrote in your original post. 

It said -- to quote

"A quick rundown of former Bills now on other teams the last 2 years."   The post then lists nine Bills who were on the squad the last two years that are now on other teams and the post ends with "Just crazy the number of players who can't make Bills roster but end up somewhere else.", implying that there are nine players because the Bills roster is so strong.

i am simply pointing out that nine is not a very large number.  In fact, there were 26 players who couldn't make the Jets roster in the last two years that are now on other teams.

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.