Practice Squad

Pete

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

God bless guys like Mike Love. He’s been at this for the past few years and hasn’t been able to crack the 53. Yeah, the money is good on the practice squad, but at some point that has to get to you mentally. 

I could see it being somewhat of a bummer, but he's earned close to a million dollars over 6 years playing football in the NFL, and even got to play in a few regular season games. That's just so far! In a way, he's had a nice career as a guy on the edge of the roster. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, TheProcess said:

God bless guys like Mike Love. He’s been at this for the past few years and hasn’t been able to crack the 53. Yeah, the money is good on the practice squad, but at some point that has to get to you mentally. 

At eleven thousand dollars a week, or more, I’m thinking he will be okay in a mental health way, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

I like Jordon Frank's but the Chiefs put him on the PS already. Used to be a WR-LB-TE

Smooth hands and quite an athlete 

I wonder what kind of TE they are looking for.  An all-around utility guy?

If Morris is a "Knox backup" maybe they may want an in-line blocker who catches a few balls for a Sweeney replacement.

If I remember correctly Ryan Izzo was used that way in NE.  He still is only 26, as an example.

Questions about practice squad players:

1. Do they travel with the team?

2. Do they attend home games?

3. Will they get Super Bowl rings if the Bills win it all?

4. Would they be able to be on the sideline for the Super Bowl/playoff games? 

I tried looking this up, but all I'm finding is poorly written articles that contradict each other.

Does the team release the PS salaries at all.  Would be curious if they pay some of the vets more than the minimum for hanging around

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Does the team release the PS salaries at all.  Would be curious if they pay some of the vets more than the minimum for hanging around

For practice squad players there is a fixed payment schedule for players less than 4 years of service or so.  something like 16k/week.   For older vets it ranges from about 16-19k a week. But that 19ish thousand IS a maximum.

18 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

At eleven thousand dollars a week, or more, I’m thinking he will be okay in a mental health way, 

To you and I as non-professional athletes…I suppose probably yes. But this is an ultra-competitive sport with a lot of egos. A lot of these guys have been “the guy” their whole life. They want a shot to play to show what they can do. Especially, after what they have to do year round to keep their bodies in peak condition to play. Plus, the money on the 53 is better. 

I’m not complaining he stuck around, but I wouldn’t have been shocked with him trying to find his way to a better path to some playing time with another team. 

8 minutes ago, Mark Long Beach said:

For practice squad players there is a fixed payment schedule for players less than 4 years of service or so.  something like 16k/week.   For older vets it ranges from about 16-19k a week. But that 19ish thousand IS a maximum.

I was looking at this - so there is a maximum as well?

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/heres-how-much-money-nfl-practice-squad-players-make#:~:text=Players with two or fewer,six regular-season games).

Players with two or fewer accrued NFL seasons earn at least $11,500 per week, which equals $207,000 for 18 weeks spent on the practice squad. (A player accrues a season when they are on full-time pay status for at least six regular-season games).  Players with two or more accrued seasons make a minimum of $15,400 per week and $277,200 for the whole season. For comparison, the minimum salary for a rookie on an active roster this season is $705,000.

Practice squad players can be paid more than those minimum figures and their salaries do count against a team’s salary cap

Edit:

OK I found one with the max you mention

Practice squad players make $11,500 per week or $207,000 for 18 weeks. Veteran players with over two years of experience will make a minimum of $15,400 per week or $277,200 for 18 weeks, and a maximum of $19,900 per week or $358,200.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2022/8/30/23325681/how-it-works-nfl-practice-squad-rules-eligibility-salary-and-more

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Spotrac has the 4 vets getting $277,200 a year.  That the vet minimum of $15,400 a week.

A lot is happening at once so it might take them a little while to get all the specific details on every guy.

FWIW Spotrac has Bills cap space at $6.3M but again got to give them a little more time to be sure.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So the Colts pick up Tenuta Who is just flat awful for us and preseason and cut this guy I don’t know if I would want this guy

While it may be swapping a dollar for a buck, Van Demark's 9.44 RAS score (versus 4.93 for Tenuta) and high IQ (honor roll guy, team captain) are intriguing. 

His biggest problems appear to be his lack of weight (he was a 230-pound TE in high school and is still bulking up (much like Spencer Brown) and the fact he had such poor coaching at UConn.    He seems like the perfect kind of PS developmental OT and I'd suspect he'd be an upgrade over Tenuta who just couldn't move from what I saw in pre-season games.  Van Demark's arms are ~3" longer as well (35.5" vs 32.875").

Van Demark looks like a poor man's Spencer Brown:

Edited by Shake_My_Head
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Spotrac has the 4 vets getting $277,200 a year.  That the vet minimum of $15,400 a week.

A lot is happening at once so it might take them a little while to get all the specific details on every guy.

FWIW Spotrac has Bills cap space at $6.3M but again got to give them a little more time to be sure.

So QB1’s AAV is over 150 times QB3.  Still think the Bills are getting a deal.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

To you and I as non-professional athletes…I suppose probably yes. But this is an ultra-competitive sport with a lot of egos. A lot of these guys have been “the guy” their whole life. They want a shot to play to show what they can do. Especially, after what they have to do year round to keep their bodies in peak condition to play. Plus, the money on the 53 is better. 

I’m not complaining he stuck around, but I wouldn’t have been shocked with him trying to find his way to a better path to some playing time with another team. 

He’s gonna make $200,000.00 or more working out for a living, that’s a top 3% wage nationally, he’s not hurting in any fashion, 

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

practice squad has changed… it’s more of a farm team than it used to be especially with Bills. They go out of their way to make them part of the organization. I’m sure it’s a fantastic job and they can make them selves part of the wins. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.