Tre White to PUP list, out first 4 games

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

People completely overrate practice for a guy that has been in the system for multiple years.  

As soon as the knee is healed, he will be on the field.

He is probably in the best shape of his life and knows the system.

Agree. He doesn't need to practice to get into shape. He is allowed to do that now while on PUP. He can work out. He isn't allowed to do any football stuff. But as you say, vet, been in the system 5 years.... while you may want to have him on a pitch count the first couple of weeks to let him get used to the exertions of a football game the idea that he needs 2 or 3 weeks of practice before he can get on the field is for the birds I think. 

Anyone know when we find out? Is it today or tomorrow that they can activate him? I repeat what I said last week... if he is not activated this week then there has been a setback we have not been told about. 

16 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Looks like Beane/McD have played this right so far.  We won 3 out of the first 4 games w/o Tre, and we dominated the Miami game w/o him as well.  Whether they play him or not against Pit, keeping the fingers crossed that he’ll be ready for the KC game.

If he’s cleared to play, give him some snaps against Pittsburgh. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree. He doesn't need to practice to get into shape. He is allowed to do that now while on PUP. He can work out. He isn't allowed to do any football stuff. But as you say, vet, been in the system 5 years.... while you may want to have him on a pitch count the first couple of weeks to let him get used to the exertions of a football game the idea that he needs 2 or 3 weeks of practice before he can get on the field is for the birds I think. 

Anyone know when we find out? Is it today or tomorrow that they can activate him? I repeat what I said last week... if he is not activated this week then there has been a setback we have not been told about. 

I think they have a couple weeks to remove him from the PUP list.

If he gets put on IR, then there was a serious set back.  As of right now, it hasn't even been 11 full months since the surgery date.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

If he’s cleared to play, give him some snaps against Pittsburgh. 

Not that easy because then he has to take up a roster spot.  We don't have many spots in the CB to play with right now.

More likely a snap count. LOL

Yea, you and I talked about this a little last week and are displeasure on how McD and co communicate injuries IE "Phillips being day to day" when it was known to be more serious.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Back2Buff said:

I think they have a couple weeks to remove him from the PUP list.

If he gets put on IR, then there was a serious set back.  As of right now, it hasn't even been 11 full months since the surgery date.

They do. But if they remove him from the PUP list today and he plays on Sunday that would already be almost exactly 10 months from his surgery. That is the high end of what you'd consider normal for a "standard" ACL with no other damage. If he doesn't come off for another week and we are into the 11th month since the surgery I start to think that he has not been "on schedule" the entire time and somewhere there was a setback. 

2 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Yea, you and I talked about this a little last week and are displeasure on how McD and co communicate injuries IE "Phillips being day to day" when it was known to be more serious.

That wound me up maybe more than it should have done but I honestly swore out loud when I heard him say that. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They do. But if they remove him from the PUP list today and he plays on Sunday that would already be almost exactly 10 months from his surgery. That is the high end of what you'd consider normal for a "standard" ACL with no other damage. If he doesn't come off for another week and we are into the 11th month since the surgery I start to think that he has not been "on schedule" the entire time and somewhere there was a setback. 

We already know it wasn't a standard tear which puts his timeline in the 10-12 month time table so he is currently right in the middle.

Just now, Back2Buff said:

We already know it wasn't a standard tear which puts his timeline in the 10-12 month time table so he is currently right in the middle.

Did we? Where was that said? The initial line from the team was standard ACL tear no damage to surrounding ligaments. 

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That's something I didn't see coming...Lions are the best offense in the NFL both in terms of yards and points.

Gaining the most yards and scoring the most point don't necessarily make you "the best" when you are getting a lot of that in 4th quarters in games you are down in.

I'd bet he starts practicing with the team this week and if he's playing this week they'll wait till late in the week to activate him.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

People completely overrate practice for a guy that has been in the system for multiple years.  

As soon as the knee is healed, he will be on the field.

He is probably in the best shape of his life and knows the system.

This may be true, but at the same time there's a difference between being in shape, and being in NFL tackling shape.

The Bills' D depends heavily on the CBs being strong, solid tacklers, and tackling is a little like boxing in some ways. No matter how good your strength and aerobic training is, you can't just step into the ring and expect to take a lot of shots from a professional boxer. Your body can't take it right away, it takes time to adjust to being hit.

I suspect the same is true for defensive players in the NFL. Tackling is hard on the body, especially on the knees when you're trying to stop a large, fast human from moving forward.

I agree with some who say if he's ready to come back, he should be gradually eased into it with a snap count.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I believe tomorrow is the earliest to activate him as there is still a Monday night game so week 4 is not technically over yet.

I would assume depending upon other injuries and how they want to handle things - the Bills will move him to active PUP this week, but only promote him to the active roster if they have the roster spot available.

I think they would want to get him several days to get into “football” shape and moving around others before placing him in a game.

I expect they are looking at KC and maybe using him in a few minor roles helping out as CB/Safety in coverage to build him back up - especially as Elam, Jackson, and Benford have looked good when in place - although KC is a different beast from the teams we have played.

51 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

I think there's a very low probability Tre White will be active versus Pittsburgh. He will likely need two weeks of practice and even against KC, he'll be on a pitch count. 

Snap count. He doesn't pitch

• Like (+1) 1

Considering that the only reason to activate him would be to get him practicing with the team, I will imagine that we will likely know tomorrow. I would not be at all surprised if he is back this week and is game day inactive. It would be equally unsurprising if he's not off the list until the bye week and on a limited basis in the Green Bay game. 

As excited as I have been for Jackson, Benford and Elam playing well: 

A) The aren't ready to handle a Chiefs airshow

B) After them there...really isn't any passing attack/receiver group in the regular season which we play that I really fear. Not saying we won't get gashed but Minny is pretty much Cousins chucking it to Jefferson; Rogers is showing some age and his WR group is a step down from previous years; Tua (if he hasn't been concussed out of existence) will have to throw in weather that isn't dead air humidity. 

That leaves us with...Mac Jones/Brian Hoyer? Jared Goff ? Brisset? Zach Wilson?

Our schedule was really front loaded. If Tre isn't fully ready by KC I am ready to get him back in slowly.

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

It was a sarcastic response to a negative Nancy spouting off uninformed negativity for its own sake.

He tore his ACL last Thanksgiving there are TONS of players who take a year to come back from that and we aren't there yet. Have some been earlier? Yes. Many have not. The Bills have a bye two games from now. White hasn't started practicing yet. I think it's fair to say he's out this week given that. So if you want to call someone names for suggesting that the Bills might hold him out against the Chiefs, when the following week is a bye, well I guess go ahead. In what way is your opinion "informed" other than it's what you want to believe?

You're giving me a hard time over one game. You want him back for the Chiefs, I'm saying Packers at the soonest. That's ONE GAME different. Grow up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.